Kansas willows

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

560Dennis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Going go after some willows here in Kansas at my son-in-law place. Don’t mind saying they scare me. I’ve discussed it with a arborist friend that taken down a few willows , he said they split with warning to cut slow stop and listen .
any other tips ? attached photos that show I've clear the escape routes

Attachments

• ED64FA81-F5A1-49E9-96DD-E2FCD4021B68.jpeg
    ED64FA81-F5A1-49E9-96DD-E2FCD4021B68.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 953B5DCA-6E64-4133-BE8B-5D813856A76E.jpeg
    953B5DCA-6E64-4133-BE8B-5D813856A76E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Just that broken stem?
Don’t get your saw stuck. Wind blown, storm damaged stuff tends to pinch, wether cutting from top or undercutting. There’s various tension and/or compression on the fibers around the area of the split. If possible, cut further up on the stem, away from the split.

The saw is not as important as your safety. If the saw is stuck and the log is shifting/ rolling in a way that could put you in the line of fire, abandon the saw and get away.

I think I see some kind of vine there too, beware it might be poison ivy/poison oak/etc.

Have a helper or someone to watch your back, just in case. Bring a 2nd (or 3rd) saw also.

Its down , pinched saw . Last 1/8 cut the roll and pushing back got It stuck . I step the cut cut three up the tree and still got it stuck .
got back up saw pinched in the other end triangle to open up the free the other saw .
I feel I learn a lot the hard way.
I hate willow
I’m amazed how soon on first cut , one inch down and wait , it would split !
not use the unpredictability

The pinching could’ve just as easily happened on ash, poplar, or whatever else, as long as it was partially split.
It’s not a matter of the rookie mistake of the kerf closing while someone keeps cutting, it’s because there’s tension and compression wood all within a fraction of an inch of each other.

I would’ve gotten pinched too probably.

Thanks for the help bango ! Ideas and are just as important before and after the event.
footnote
we are using two saws
a craftsman electric and a Poulin
so far the electric is hands down more reliable .
like cutting anything the reliability of equipment is paramount.
I’ll put a new post for problems with saws Blades.

I got a new willow problem to post the (V) topped is still hanging on from storm . Photos coming !

Had trouble keep gas poulan running cutting up the stock . Ran ten minutes set it down and it stalled . I could not get it started hot . hurt my back cranking ,,it. Taking a break today .
posted another post related to the poulan

Had trouble keep gas poulan running cutting up the stock . Ran ten minutes set it down and it stalled . I could not get it started hot . hurt my back cranking ,,it. Taking a break today .
posted another post related to the poulan
I’ve heard from more than person who owns a Poulan (I do too but don’t have the issue) that it’s the spark plug heating up and expanding the gap causing it not to fire after warm. Lessen the gap and good to go! I’m sure a “Poulan spark plug gap issues” search will yield good results for you

I switch topfuel 40 to 1 .
Hot ! I took your advice ,pulled the choke out and pushed it back in . It sets the high idle stop . Pulled the rope a few times and it starts right up.
The only thing now is when I release the trigger throttle. It immediately stalls the saw. I assume that the idle has to be turned up . Also it take that splined special screwdriver I have not been able to find.

I switch topfuel 40 to 1 .
Hot ! I took your advice ,pulled the choke out and pushed it back in . It sets the high idle stop . Pulled the rope a few times and it starts right up.
The only thing now is when I release the trigger throttle. It immediately stalls the saw. I assume that the idle has to be turned up . Also it take that splined special screwdriver I have not been able to find.
hopefully the link works, but I bought this kit ages ago and its been super useful to have, surpsingly decent screwdrivers for the price. the Tach is better than nothing, but the refresh rate is pretty slow os its a little hard to tune a finacky motor with it, but it does work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NJY784/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1If you already have a tach or plan to get a nicer one, just find a different kit w/o it and save the money.

I used a v notch felling cut .
I notice I had more than I think the stem stays attached to the trunk at hinge.
any suggestions what I’m doing wrong .
I don’t like to come up to it and cut it off

Sorry no photos , I was to busy ,had one day with help and was moving as fast I could to safely cut down all the dead ones .

Back