Kart Saw / Hot Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quote. "130cc and two 35mm carbs. McBob "
Forgive me for going off topic, But that just reminds me of the question.
Has anyone converted a strato air valve into a 2 carb setup yet?

i figure while marks "working" (i hope he dose not mind me hi jacking his thread) i can post some dirty pics of my hack project.. remember this is just the first fitting..

see what happens when a mc-91B rear ends a reguler 250:cool2:

MARK<

Baraboo is 37 days away I sure hope it is ready. I just got informed tonight that there will be a member traveling from the Rocky mountains this year.

Bill

Home for a few days this week, got the block back with a fresh over bore but now waiting on rings to arrive since the seller sent standard bore rings with the new oversize piston.

I found a ratty full wrap bar in the attic, required some welding and some new holes to be drilled but it should fit up O.K.

Got the rest of the parts cleaned up and painted, now I need to round a few seals and screws and get the carburetor cleaned up and ready to go and it will be time to put this saw together.

Mark

Still waiting on the rings to arrive, first photo shows a few of the parts hanging around waiting to dry, second photo shows most of the parts on the bench just waiting...

If you look in the first photo you can see my reworked full wrap bar, that's the beauty of a photo, you can make even a cob job look like it means something.

attachment.php

The flywheel cover has some corrosion, pitting, flaking plating. I decided not to attack it and just leave it as is for now, the rest of the saw will be kind of rough so no need to put too much effort into the cover.

attachment.php

I need to get up in the attic and hunt for a tank to use for fuel, but it has been just too hot to go up there when I've been home. I did break down and switch the air on in the shop last night, very comfortable working I must say.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, I always take time to admire with a little envy your shop. I also note from time to time things we share in common - like 036s and one tank is enough running a non-AV 70cc MAC and re-purposed plastic containers - but a clean, well equipped and organized shop is not one of them nor is the particular re-purposed container shown in your photo. :msp_unsure: Ron

Ron - I only take photos that make it look clean, careful staging is the key. I do find it difficult to throw anything away, that particular container has been with us for many years now.

Bill - that is still my plan. One step forward and three steps back most of the time.

The rings did arrive today so I got started putting it together and of course kept running into snags. I decided I will use socket head cap screws where ever possible, and of course found a few locations where they can't be used like under the flywheel on the crank case side cover. When putting the intake on, one of the holes stripped out so I took it apart again to install helicoil inserts in a few holes to make sure it all stays together.

I thought I was clever when I opened up the crank case bottom (stuffer) but failed to take into account the screw heads on the connecting rod screws so more grinding was required which of course meant I went completely through the casting. Some more JB weld and an aluminum sheet on the bottom should take care of it. I won't know for sure until I get back next week but I have high hopes.

Nice fat spark even without the spark plug boot attached yet.

I did get started on a small fuel tank today, the original nipple was too small in my estimation so I had to drill it out and install a larger fitting so I can use 3/16" fuel line. Sorry, I did not get any photos so you will have to a week. Here is what I have so far:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still need to finish up the throttle and oiler linkages, the oil tank and crank case cover, fit up the clutch and make sure the bar will line up properly, and make sure the front handle will work.

Oh yeah, and find someone that can pull it over more than 2 revolutions to see if it will really run...

Mark

Last edited:
Ron - I only take photos that make it look clean, careful staging is the key. I do find it difficult to throw anything away, that particular container has been with us for many years now.

Bill - that is still my plan. One step forward and three steps back most of the time.

The rings did arrive today so I got started putting it together and of course kept running into snags. I decided I will use socket head cap screws where ever possible, and of course found a few locations where they can't be used like under the flywheel on the crank case side cover. When putting the intake on, one of the holes stripped out so I took it apart again to install helicoil inserts in a few holes to make sure it all stays together.

I thought I was clever when I opened up the crank case bottom (stuffer) but failed to take into account the screw heads on the connecting rod screws so more grinding was required which of course meant I went completely through the casting. Some more JB weld and an aluminum sheet on the bottom should take care of it. I won't know for sure until I get back next week but I have high hopes.

Nice fat spark even without the spark plug boot attached yet.

I did get started on a small fuel tank today, the original nipple was too small in my estimation so I had to drill it out and install a larger fitting so I can use 3/16" fuel line. Sorry, I did not get any photos so you will have to a week. Here is what I have so far:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still need to finish up the throttle and oiler linkages, the oil tank and crank case cover, fit up the clutch and make sure the bar will line up properly, and make sure the front handle will work.

Oh yeah, and find someone that can pull it over more than 2 revolutions to see if it will really run...

Mark

Sounds like a job for Mitch :hmm3grin2orange:

I had some time early this morning before I had to leave for the airport so I decided to try and fit the crankcase bottom cover (stuffer) and managed to work it out. Got most of the saw put together now, it may never run or cut but at least it looks meaningful just setting there.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I still have to get the fuel tank mounted up. Here is the tank I have (thanks stude54).

attachment.php

And I think it will end up something like this, any comments or suggestions? Am I overlooking anything important so far?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I should mention that I realize there is no exhaust hooked up yet. Hopefully I can get together with mxracer the first part of August and we can get something together, otherwise it will be the kart header.

Mark

................... Got most of the saw put together now, it may never run or cut but at least it looks meaningful just setting there..............................

Mark

Mark,

There is no reason to turn into a McBob

Bill gave a chop at the knees.

Randy,

I will assure you that is not what I intended. There was no "chop" intended . If the good lord is willing Mark and I will be meeting up in a few weeks along I fully believe he will have his saw there. Hell I still have not gotten my **** together and got a good 820 there yet:mad::mad:

Bill

Randy,

I will assure you that is not what I intended. There was no "chop" intended . If the good lord is willing Mark and I will be meeting up in a few weeks along I fully believe he will have his saw there. Hell I still have not gotten my **** together and got a good 820 there yet:mad::mad:

Bill

Sorry Bill, meant McBob was limping.

Latest posts

Back