Kart Saw / Hot Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another day, another hiccup...

I took Scott and Bob at their word and decided I needed to add the compression release. I don't have a mill yet (hoping for a mill/drill soon, probably a Grizzly but that's another story) so I used my drill press with an end mill to get started. Once I had the mill as far as it could go, I needed something with a larger OD to provide adequate clearance for a wrench to insert and remove the valve. Fortunately I had a 3/4" carbide tipped router bit with a 1/2" shank so spin the drill press up and feed it ever so slowly.

I looked at the tap & die chart and grabbed the drill bit and finished the hole, only to discover I'd read the wrong column and drilled an over sized hole. Helicoil kit is now ordered, should be here Tuesday.

307497d1375661603-dsc03158-jpg

I still have high hopes to be ready for Baraboo, just in case the BDC will not cooperate, I went ahead and got a Tillotson HR & intake all ready to go.

Mark

Last edited:
We've all had are issues with saws or other things.
Keep plugging away. Curious on how this build
works out compaired to the ones i've done.

Lee

"I looked at the tap & die chart and grabbed the drill bit and finished the hole, only to discover I'd read the wrong column and drilled an over sized hole. Helicoil kit is now ordered, should be here Tuesday."
Woops, too bad it already needs a helicoil, maybe you can find a spare head to try over with sometime. I have faith you will have the saw done for Baraboo.
Scott

Mark, with all the trouble this saw is giving you I hate to ask, but what's that square hole in the head for? At 6 o'clock in your pictures. Ron
ah The wonders of jpeg photography.
You dang sure could have convinced me there's nice spot to put a rubber button
or somesuch thing there.
But digital does some odd things with my dual-vision.

Another day, another hiccup...

I took Scott and Bob at their word and decided I needed to add the compression release. I don't have a mill yet (hoping for a mill/drill soon, probably a Grizzly but that's another story) so I used my drill press with an end mill to get started. Once I had the mill as far as it could go, I needed something with a larger OD to provide adequate clearance for a wrench to insert and remove the valve. Fortunately I had a 3/4" carbide tipped router bit with a 1/2" shank so spin the drill press up and feed it ever so slowly.

I looked at the tap & die chart and grabbed the drill bit and finished the hole, only to discover I'd read the wrong column and drilled an over sized hole. Helicoil kit is now ordered, should be here Tuesday.

307497d1375661603-dsc03158-jpg

I still have high hopes to be ready for Baraboo, just in case the BDC will not cooperate, I went ahead and got a Tillotson HR & intake all ready to go.

Mark

Sounds like a good idea Mark the tilly is easier to tune the BDC is a real love it or hate it a lot of my macs run the old BDC14 for gas application the BDC 16 is for alky that's why the double pumper

McBob.

Not sure how I missed this for so long...
Nice to see where the engine for my s55a came from.
That saw sure is looking a lot better than what its engine is going in... LOL

If I can just get around to send it to powder coat...
Enough of a hijack, it looks great!

Makes me want to cram something bigger in my 250... LOL

Mark, that is looking like it will be a real beast. I need to get down your way again soon. I have to have another shot of shop envy. JR

I counted 11 pins in a previous photo, should be about right for a 10" stick. I have a 10 pin on my 92.
Scott

I got completely carried away when I called 6K (formerly Danzco) and now have on hand 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 pin sprockets. My guess is 10 and 11 will be the only ones that ever get used.

I decided since I was waiting for the helicoil set to arrive to fit up the bar and chain (chain from Baileys arrived today), here are the results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some of you e-bay watchers may recognize the carburetor and intake setting on the saw right now...back up plan in case the BDC cannot be made to function.

As a back up to the head, I called Terry Ives today and have another head (with compression release) coming as well. If you haven't dealt with Terry, I can recommend him most highly. Very accommodating and reasonable too boot as Chris pointed out a few posts back.

Mark

Last edited:
As a back up to the head, I called Terry Ives today and have another head (with compression release) coming as well. If you haven't dealt with Terry, I can recommend him most highly. Very accommodating and reasonable too boot as Chris pointed out a few posts back.

Mark

+1 on Terry. He did the machine work and provided parts for the 101B I have here waiting for my attention. I understand that he's one of the best in the country.

I got completely carried away when I called 6K (formerly Danzco) and now have on hand 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 pin sprockets. My guess is 10 and 11 will be the only ones that ever get used.

I decided since I was waiting for the helicoil set to arrive to fit up the bar and chain (chain from Baileys arrived today), here are the results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some of you e-bay watchers may recognize the carburetor and intake setting on the saw right now...back up plan in case the BDC cannot be made to function.

Mark
Very nice build Mark +1 on the comp head your getting and good call on Ives Racing he's the best I use Terry's one piece bearings in all my 797 builds and I send him my racing condensors

Mark

I suggest you start with the 8 pin and work you way up better off having a bit of grunt than bog it down if you get heavy handed Mark and rely on the torque of the engine

McBob.

Thanks for the offer Bill - one way or the other I am going to get this one put together and running in some kind of fashion before the big event.

And yes mdavlee - that is Oregon CL chain. I will have to use it out of the box, I don't imagine I will have to figure out how to reconfigure my Granberg jig for square filing in the next week. Besides, I don't have any suitable files in my possession at this time.

I took the day off from working in the shop and made a road trip, I'll put those detail in a new "Today's Road Trip" thread.

Mark

I suggest you start with the 8 pin and work you way up better off having a bit of grunt than bog it down if you get heavy handed Mark and rely on the torque of the engine

McBob.

IMHO, real big rims are way over-rated. I only run a 9-pin on my ported 084. It's got the power to pull even an 11, but it's MUCH easier to mess up and bog, and is faster in my hands with the 9-pin.

Mark, I have the same bar as you, with the 10 pin on the clutch, it will derail the chain fairly often. That can mess up your drive links, and loose the race.
Scott

Back