Keep it simple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are arborists gear heads, or is there any good reasons that I dont just buy regular climbing rope from any sports gear shop and make my own prusik loops and lanyards from the same rope muuuch cheaper? You could get close to a CE lanyard with just rope, knots and carabiners..
Reason I ask for input, is that I would like to get more "back to basics" and keep it simple ;)

Have a nice day! :D

Are arborists gear heads, or is there any good reasons that I dont just buy regular climbing rope from any sports gear shop and make my own prusik loops and lanyards from the same rope muuuch cheaper? You could get close to a CE lanyard with just rope, knots and carabiners..
Reason I ask for input, is that I would like to get more "back to basics" and keep it simple ;)

Lots of reasons , short story buy the right stuff.

Right stuff.. It's just right stuff because someone made it, and an advertisement that says so.
What makes a factory spliced prusik loop better than one tided with fisherman knots?

Lots of reasons. Let's start with the fact you're not using arborist rope.
2.sewn and spliced eyes generally lead to a more compact system.
3.liability. I worked with a climber that made all his own gear. His homemade saw lanyard failed, and a 260 missed a groundie by less than a foot. If my Buckingham lanyard had failed, wasn't on me.
4. Convenience. Technology has come a long ways, and climbers are starting to realize with the new gear pain and suffering is optional.

Umm, I've said something like this before, doesn't ANSI standards dictate rope/ prussik/ equipment requirements for treework, no?

Thanks, good points!
Hope that climber was okay jollylogger. Do you know what failed on his lanyard, or the reason it did?
Over here "regular" climbing rope refers to rock climbing rope btw..
When it comes to convenience I cant disagree.

The ANSI standards for tree climbing get developet by user groups and manufacturers of the very items they sell..

Say if I buy 60 meters of ANSI standarized rope then, use twenty of em for tying loops plus use more knots instead of 20 different rings, carabiners, ascenders, ans so forth for example. I dont see the big deal..

When it comes to liability there have been plenty of recalls, and faulty production of everything from just rings to straps that can be hard to control by observation.. if you have a trustworthy rope you always know what you get.. Plus the correct use of knots is 100% liable by my opinion..

IMHO, its a little more complicated than that, there is a huge difference in work performance when using the right equipment.

Yea I made a homemade lanyard once and dropped my saw out of a palm tree.
I think the muffler burned through it, somehow
Why cut corners when people's lifes could be the result

Say if I buy 60 meters of ANSI standarized rope then, use twenty of em for tying loops plus use more knots instead of 20 different rings, carabiners, ascenders, ans so forth for example. I dont see the big deal..

its just being cheap and lazy in my opinion,

it makes me wonder if you HAVE ever even climbed a tree with a proper setup.
or rigged a 350lb+ limb/log out of a tree that was hanging over a house

you should learn early on that being cheap is being expensive

its just being cheap and lazy in my opinion,

it makes me wonder if you HAVE ever even climbed a tree with a proper setup.
or rigged a 350lb+ limb/log out of a tree that was hanging over a house
Proper set up in your eyes, no. I have only ever climbed with two long wire core flip lines (one for regular use, and one crossed the around the trunk when cutting) limbing up, and logging down. Dropping **** right down and leaving it there to rot.. Welcome to the railroad business!
Thing is, not everyone does the same stuff..

Yea I made a homemade lanyard once and dropped my saw out of a palm tree.
I think the muffler burned through it, somwhow
would that somehow not happend if you bougth it out of a store instead?

There's no "regular" rock climbing rope either. Now you're starting to scare me.
Isnt a dynamic single rope defined as regular over there?

I feel somewhat bashed just for asking about something simple in an critical manner..

-Can I (should I, why wouldnt I) do this or that?
-NO! Because reasons.

Thanks guys..

No bashing, go re-read the thread. You asked a bunch of professional a rborists a question, we answered it, and you startedarguing your point. I gave you numerous reasons manufactured gear is better, you just didn't like the answer.

And no, there's nothing called regular climbing rope over here, but I'm glad you know the difference between static and dynamic.

Right stuff.. It's just right stuff because someone made it, and an advertisement that says so.
What makes a factory spliced prusik loop better than one tided with fisherman knots?

A splice is stronger than a knot. You could(once you learn how) make your own splices.

Most of the rope you by from "sports gear shops" is dynamic and has way too much stretch in it(for arborist work). Climbing on such rope wastes energy, because the rope stretches as you climb, sort of like climbing a bungee, but if you fall it acts as a shock absorber so you don't get snapped in half when the slack runs out.

Arborist rope, OTH, has less stretch making it more economical to climb(less wasted energy). Some arborist ropes have some stretch, but not near as much as rock climbing ropes. We rely more on the rope and want to get closer to 100% back for the effort we put in. You don't want to take a fall on an arborist rope, as there is little or not shock absorbing qualities to it, and you'd get snapped in half when the slack runs out. You'll never see an experienced rock climber climbing on arborist(static) rope, and you'll never see an experienced arborist climbing on a rock climbing(dynamic) rope.

Latest posts

Back