Keep those stacks neat!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if you could take a laser sight from a gun, mount it to wrap around handle, put an adustable mount on it....

Then simple adjust the sight so it puts the dot just shy of 16", 18", 20" or whatever (I'm thinking just shy so you line it up just inside of the last cut made).

Wouldn't get in the way like that fiberglass pole from Harbor Freight. Plus it's a laser beam on a frickin' chainsaw...how cool would that be :D

Attached rod is not so great either.

Harumph, Snort! Who needs some fancy tool when all one needs to do is take a 1/4" metal or preferably 1/4-3/8" plastic rod of the right length and attach it using hose clamps to the wrap around bar on one's saw. Attach it to the bottom of the saw using the bar. It should stick out to the left and you just place the saw where the end of the log meets the end of the rod. Bingo, perfect piece of wood every time. $2 Worth of parts that won't clog up and not paint, is always the size you want, and if gets damaged can be replaced for ~$2.

I made one just like you're describing out of 1/4" rod. I've got to say it's one more darned thing to mess with especially in the brush or when limbing. can be dangerous as it can catch on something and move that bar and chain where you might not like it. Either that or it's put it on , take it off , put it on , take it off.
The Mingo is much simpler.

Al:clap::clap:

Yup!

Not too impressed, looks like a gimmick for city guys. Could've had it cut by the time it was marked, callibrate the eyeballs and go to work.

But this city guy likes straight stacks and 16" pieces that need to fit my stove!
Blame my old man - - - Crusty old German who did it one way and that was precise and neatly. Only he marked with a 16' stick and a hatchet.

Nobody's holding a gun to your head to buy a Mingo - - just thought some of the members would like to see one demonstrated!

Al :cheers::cheers:

I made one just like you're describing out of 1/4" rod. I've got to say it's one more darned thing to mess with especially in the brush or when limbing. can be dangerous as it can catch on something and move that bar and chain where you might not like it. Either that or it's put it on , take it off , put it on , take it off.
The Mingo is much simpler.
Al:clap::clap:

Ahhhh but you are missing the fact that you can use it to have an excuse to buy two chainsaws. One for dropping and limbing, and one with the stick on it for blocking. At least that is what I did, but at my peak I had about 8 saws all totaled. But that was before I discovered Stihls and I was able to get down to three. :)

Harumph, Snort! Who needs some fancy tool when all one needs to do is take a 1/4" metal or preferably 1/4-3/8" plastic rod of the right length and attach it using hose clamps to the wrap around bar on one's saw. Attach it to the bottom of the saw using the bar. It should stick out to the left and you just place the saw where the end of the log meets the end of the rod. Bingo, perfect piece of wood every time. $2 Worth of parts that won't clog up and not paint, is always the size you want, and if gets damaged can be replaced for ~$2.

Every tried one of those devices?They suck,pure and simple.bolted one to the wifes saw, she broke that thing within a half hour.
The mingo works great, and I found another use for it.When your wood gets stolen,it makes it readlily identifiable if you ever find the rascal.
Last year I had wood stolen, and I was sure that it was my neighbors.Now this year they are going to have to explain to the sheriff how several of those pieces of wood in the pile have neat little round green dots near the end of the wood.

But this city guy likes straight stacks and 16" pieces that need to fit my stove!
Blame my old man - - - Crusty old German who did it one way and that was precise and neatly. Only he marked with a 16' stick and a hatchet.

Nobody's holding a gun to your head to buy a Mingo - - just thought some of the members would like to see one demonstrated!

Al :cheers::cheers:

I'm just glad somebody else thinks they look like a great idea. I haven't been cutting very long, and thought the Mingo looked like a good way to get accustomed to what 24" looks like repeatedly when cutting. Thanks.

zh

Now if you could take a laser sight from a gun, mount it to wrap around handle, put an adustable mount on it....

Then simple adjust the sight so it puts the dot just shy of 16", 18", 20" or whatever (I'm thinking just shy so you line it up just inside of the last cut made).

Wouldn't get in the way like that fiberglass pole from Harbor Freight. Plus it's a laser beam on a frickin' chainsaw...how cool would that be :D

After reading it i trying to figure out if he was building a spud gun or cutting firewood!

Hey Avalancher....Are you sayin' they's actually wood thieves in Cocke county? he-he-he (lol) Maybe they just "borrowed" a little dab of firewood. That's what my neighbors say to me.....(lol)

I gave up trying to eyeball cuts years ago. The bigger the log, the shorter I cut, the smaller it was, the longer. I'd wind up with 12" big ones, and 19" small ones :). Carry a marking stick now and used to use a cut-off (homemade) gauge mounted on the saw.

Harry K

I remember seeing a spray paint marker in the Great Northern catalog a while back. You could set it different increments, and then just roll the wheel down the log and it would put a little paint at the length you wanted it. They also had a fiberglass rod that attached to the side of the saw. Just line up the tip with the end of the log and cut there.

Hey Avalancher....Are you sayin' they's actually wood thieves in Cocke county? he-he-he (lol) Maybe they just "borrowed" a little dab of firewood. That's what my neighbors say to me.....(lol)

We got a saying around here, "it is aint red hot or nailed down,it wont be there long.Even if it is red hot, some mexican will take a chance on it."

Latest posts

Back