Keeping my hand in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Manually splitting/stacking locust. Finished the batch I had saved from the splitter last fall just to have something to do. This is a small load I cut Monday plus a batch of 'too tough to work manually, save for the splitter and noodles' in the back. Nice to have something to do on the 'nice' days.

003-14.jpg

Dark stuff on right is locust I cut back in 93 after a small tornado took out a couple groves I scored.

Didn't get much done as it was 'drizzly' and I am a wimp when it comes to poor working conditions

Harry K

Poor working conditions...? Where's all the snow..?
:monkey:

That does look like some seasoned wood you have there.

Yeah, that looks like heaven. HERE'S poor working conditions -- that's a locust that I dropped but only got half bucked before the snow hit.
yard1.jpg

Jack

That is what this country looked like last year. Set an all time record for most snow in one season...this year we are close to setting a record for the least amount. I don't think I have had 5" total all winter.

Even last year, I was out "wooding" already in February and no snow on the ground.

Harry K

That looks so good right about now. Great job.

I would love to be able get out and make some fire wood. But it is -8.9 right now and we just got another 9 inches of the white stuff this week. It is almost to the point where I cannot even get to the woods. Last years cutting is holding up well but I am really starting to get that itch. I keep telling myself soon very soon.

Korey

I feel the pain of being held up by all the white stuff. I do most of my cutting and hauling out in winter after deer season. Pretty tough to cut and get around in three foot drifts. Hate to say it but the lawn mower wil be out before we know it.

Made a little progress today -

progress.jpg

not much as it was a bit 'drizzly' again and the work area turned into a mudhole fast. Gonna haveta wait for it to dry some. Raining now again.

FWIW:

prop.jpg

That prop (I call it a bookend) is version two of my design. The first one was held together by deck screws - they didn't stand the strain. This one is bolted.

I use 3 of them when I stock the back porch with wood in the fall. The one in the picture is looking dubious already, quite a bow in both the upright and brace and it has only been there a few hours now.

I hate 'Chimney stacking' to hold up the end of ricks. Too much fooling around buiding the end so they stay.

This is the 3rd or 4th season on the four of them. One spent one whole season holding up a rick outside and survived.

Harry K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back