kerf to small??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkarlson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that when my chains is about due for a sharpening it seems that my kerf gets smaller. Least I think this is whats happening. Its when I'm cutting a larger round, I'll be bout halway through the cut and it will feel like the log is binding me. But I believes its actually just grabbing the bar as if the chain isn't cutting a wide enough kerf. I'm using the same bar and chains that came stock on my 359, but just started noticing this happening this winter. Thought maybe you more knowledgable guys out there might share some insight on whether its just cause the chain needs sharpened or if there is some other cause. Thanks Mike

A dull chain still cuts the same width kerf as a sharp chain, usually its a burr on the edges of the bar rail that will grab the sides of the kerf in the wood and feel like the bar is pinching, that is if the wood being cut is not actually closing in on the cut. Check your bar for burrs and that the rails are even and tight enough to keep the chain from rocking sideways.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks....i did have a slight burr a couple weeks ago. I filed them back everything seemed fine again. Guess I need to take another look and see if its burred out again. I just started doing a little touch up sharpening to prolong the time between chain swaps. Guess in doing so I dont inspect and clean the bar as well as I should.

I inspect the bar for burrs/wire edges after every use, and mostly flip it as well.

I know I am overdoing it, but it doesn't take much time when the bar is off anyway.

I imagine that your chain is getting so dull it won't cut straight anymore. When you get that dull that blade binds because it cuts in a curve.

How long do you go between sharpenings, I used to go every 5 tanks or so, because I was lazy. I sharpen every 2-3 tanks now. Sharpen before your chain is dull, not after you notice its cutting like crap. At least thats my experience.

I inspect the bar for burrs/wire edges after every use, and mostly flip it as well.

I always flip the bar...I believe it gives you even wear.

How long do you go between sharpenings, I used to go every 5 tanks or so, because I was lazy. I sharpen every 2-3 tanks now. Sharpen before your chain is dull, not after you notice its cutting like crap. At least thats my experience.

I don't know how anyone can get 5 tanks through one chain without sharpening. Although I hear guys doing it all the time. I used to swap chains every two tanks. Now run a tank then touch it up while letting saw cool before refueling. Can get about 5 tanks before swapping out for a ground chain.

I imagine that your chain is getting so dull it won't cut straight anymore. When you get that dull that blade binds because it cuts in a curve.

I'll bet it's cutting in a curve as well.
This is cause by things like
1 worn bar groove. Does the chain flop about or sit firmly in the groove
2 uneven bar wear, one side more than another. Can you stand the bar on edge?
3 uneven length of right and left hand cutters. Most people file with some sort of bias - a bit more pressure or different angles ect
4 uneven height of right and left hand rakers. Unlikely - but I have seen it a couple of times!

I always flip the bar...I believe it gives you even wear.

I don't know how anyone can get 5 tanks through one chain without sharpening. Although I hear guys doing it all the time. I used to swap chains every two tanks. Now run a tank then touch it up while letting saw cool before refueling. Can get about 5 tanks before swapping out for a ground chain.

Depends on what type of wood you are cutting and the conditions it grows in. Hot dusty climates will allow grit to adhere and even impregnate the bark of trees and that is hard on chain. Some species of trees actually draw grit up with the water they need and the wood gets full of grit, teak is known for this. The green hardwood we cut here is very clean and cuts easily, using Stihl RSC 33 I can cut at least 3 tanks of gas before sharpening, 5 tanks and I would notice the cutting speed slowing.
Pioneerguy600

I can usually go 2 days (5-8 tanks) without any noticeable dulling. I am very careful not to hit the ground and I don't push my saw. Sometimes I only get 2 tanks, depending on species and live or dead.

Latest posts

Back