Kids these days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My cousin and her boyfriend came up from arizona way to stay for the summer(college summer break) and he just got some kind of certificate for electrical. i met him before a good guy really. he knows i cut wood so he has been bugging m to take him out to cut woods as he calls it. so i gave in today because it was a sizable cotton that i knew i would need help with.
So last night i call him up to see if he wanted to help he said yes told him i would pick him up at 6 a.m. he kinda complained about it. so i picked him up this morn a little after 6 and we made our way to the tree. well we got there fine backed up to a creek bed adjacent to it it was the only way to the tree which meant we had the tidious task of hiking out the wood by hand. i fell the tree the night before for safety reasons so all we had to do was buck so i filled both saws up(441,390) gave him the 390 to use then we walked over to the tree had to tell him how to start the 390. that probably should have bee n my first clue. but we started cutting i started on the trunk he started limbing everything was going good for at least 5 minutes. then i looked over to make sure he wasnt messing up but what happened dug the bar straight in the sand running wide open. ok just a sharpen right nope he destroyed the chain and i am not an awnry guy ever except i had put on a new woodlandpro 30 rcs loop.
After that i was on edge i didnt say anything because i knew i was going to have to have the teeth reground so i let him keep cutting anyway another bad choice. yet again glanced over to see him get the bar pinched not a bad thing but he keep holding the throttle and smoke was coming out of the clutch cover i was trying to yell it him to let go of the throttle didnt hear me of course. i finally got to him to let go i had him turn off the saw got the saw unstuck that was it for me had him put the saw down and help me start loading. i just cut the branches into 5 and 6 foot lenghts he cut the in 2' lenghts even though i told him between 5 and 6'.
So the hike was about 50 yards to the truck i lke to throw the lenghts into a pile so there a little easier to load so i threw them over the stump about 20' into a pile then went to the truck to get some water. i was watching him try to do it and :cry: he would throw them like 5' from where he was standing then he was throwing a lenght and he almost knocke himself out i really dont know how he made the log do that. almost all the loading i did myself but when we reached the halfway filled point he told me we should leave the rest for next week i just laughed because i didnt go up there to get a half cord of wood. i was still loading by myself then he had the audacity to ask me if we could go becuase he was tired then he started bit**ing about the mesquitos and if it wasnt 1 thing it was another.
i didnt say anything i kept my cool because i dont like screamers myself. but i needed a few rounds from the trunk to finish out the cord on my truck so i was cutting a round and i didnt notice the crack closing up by that time it was too late. so i tried a wedge but they werent working so luckily the only way to free up the bar was to lift up the trunk. so he was standing there watching me of course while i had to try and lift this close to 300# trunk he didnt even try to help me with it just stood and watched oh man i was so close to losing it and was going to roll him around in the dirt, oh yeah then after i got the saw out he said ''man your strong''. :chainsaw:so i said get the saw were leaving he did took 5 minutes to walk over and get it though. so locked in the hubs and we climbed back up onto the road got out unlocked them and took off. when i was driving i cooled off considerably but then he started talking about how he needed a job and how he was willing to work.
he told me he wanted a job doing electrical but i dont know if you guys know but nv has the highest unemployment rate so i just told him ''you need to start on the bottom and get some work under your belt because your fresh out of school with no work experience of anykind.'' he told me he was trying to get laborer but all i know is he wouldnt last for a day just to lazy and unwilling to work.
i am 19 BUT i have been blessed to work with a couple of older guys that taught me how to actually work and how my generation expects everything to be given to them and unwilling to do any sort of manual labor.:mad:

Huh for someone that was so anxious to cut it doesn't sound like he knew what he was doing.

If he goes out again why not school him on correct procedures and maybe he'll enjoy the experience and become more productive.

Huh for someone that was so anxious to cut it doesn't sound like he knew what he was doing.

If he goes out again why not school him on correct procedures and maybe he'll enjoy the experience and become more productive.

i kind of forgot to mention that when working around i would tell him little things its hard for me to give somebody constructive critisism i know i need to work on that but i would tell him lightly how to do something more efficiently and easier he would stop for like 3 seconds like he was thinking about it. but he would go back to doing it the same way even thought i might have told him multiple times. i do have hope thought for my generation not all of us are bad its just around these parts its hard to find young help willing to actually work for you.

Ha yeah I hear you man... im 26 and friends always say "yeah hell yeah I wanna go cut some wood lets do it!!".

Well when that saturday morning rolls around noone is to be found anywhere lol

Yep... our generation is F*&*ED!!!!

I'm 13 and yes my generation is F***ed. Kids are sooooooooo lazy it is sad. No one works for what they have they just ask for it and there parents buy it. Kids think there all that because there good at sports. Well that won't get most people very far in life. Working hard will. Me and one other kid in my grade actully work in the summer the rest of the kids sit on there couch and play video games. They say there strong and stuff but I'll belive them after they go outside and cut and split over 20 cords of wood which i've done since January. And on top of that they need to make maple syrup off of 75 taps raise 15 dairy goats bale 7 acres of hay and cut 4 lawns weekly. That's my rant for now.

I'm 13 and yes my generation is F***ed. Kids are sooooooooo lazy it is sad. No one works for what they have they just ask for it and there parents buy it. Kids think there all that because there good at sports. Well that won't get most people very far in life. Working hard will. Me and one other kid in my grade actully work in the summer the rest of the kids sit on there couch and play video games. They say there strong and stuff but I'll belive them after they go outside and cut and split over 20 cords of wood which i've done since January. And on top of that they need to make maple syrup off of 75 taps raise 15 dairy goats bale 7 acres of hay and cut 4 lawns weekly. That's my rant for now.

Yes kid, your right. I worked when I was you age, not to awful many years ago, and I thought it was fun. You probably do too to some point. Running around on dads bobcat is fun for you, I know. My dad had his own equipment my whole life. I was as good as anybody on that stuff at your age, Im sure you are too. Ive been on that junk since I was old enough to walk. Still operate equipment everday installing under ground utility mains and such.

Gonna give you some free advice, live you life while your young cause the fun dont last long. Not saying set around the house and play video games all day, but dont over do it to soon. When you get out and have a family and bills start coming in and you HAVE to work everday, the fun ends. Im not complaining, just wished Id lived a little more when I had the chance. Thats my opinion anyways, for what its worth.:)

Good to see that some kids still know how to work. That lazy stuff started with the 80's kids 50-50 some worked others got EVERYTHING from mommy and daddy. Not to insult anyone but IMO it gets worse every generation.:mad:

your a couple years younger than my boys. they are lazy at times, but that is my fault.
See, the problem I have is MY parents had my tail in the woods in the winter, in the hay fields in the summer, and hunt, fish, garden, or forage when not working. So it just seems normal to do this. Never thought about making the boys do it. This year, they are taking care of the yard work and splitting and stacking. when we go cut, they load.
Yea, its the parent fault kids are as lazy as they are.

Gonna give you some free advice, live you life while your young cause the fun dont last long. Not saying set around the house and play video games all day, but dont over do it to soon. When you get out and have a family and bills start coming in and you HAVE to work everday, the fun ends. Im not complaining, just wished Id lived a little more when I had the chance. Thats my opinion anyways, for what its worth.:)[/QUOTE]

I was told that but i didnt listen, now i find my self saying almost the same thing. At my grad party from high school a freind of my mothers wrote a note inside the card for me that said somthing along the lines of "now the work begins and the fun will mostly end its al down hill till you get senior discounts " and some other downer things and everybody else thought (my self included) that he was an ahole. Now i look back and think he was just letting me know thats life.

I was told that but i didnt listen, now i find my self saying almost the same thing. At my grad party from high school a freind of my mothers wrote a note inside the card for me that said somthing along the lines of "now the work begins and the fun will mostly end its al down hill till you get senior discounts " and some other downer things and everybody else thought (my self included) that he was an ahole. Now i look back and think he was just letting me know thats life.

I don't post much, but I disagree. I worked on the farm as a kid, had snowblowing and lawn mowing job at 12, got my first job at 15. I worked hard and became the best at what I do. After college, my first paycheck was for a full line of air tools, second paycheck was on a brand spanking new jeep wrangler. Traveled the country for two years having the time of my life. Met my wife, bought a house, and had kids.

And now? I've moved to where off-roaders are welcomed, my jeep became a truck, my tent became a fifth wheel, and my tool box has a "painting" drawer, but the spirit remains. We still travel, we still do fun things, I just have to work twice as hard to afford to bring the kids along for the ride. 20 huors a week in overtime, but the experiences are priceless. Work HArd, Play hard.

Fun doesn't stop... Tedious things like mowing the lawn is still a source of pride for me.

I say keep working, gaining your skills, dreaming your dreams, and find out how to make them come true. It's your life, Live it!

Last edited:
I don't post much, but I disagree. I worked on the farm as a kid, had snowblowing and lawn mowing job at 12, got my first job at 15. I worked hard and became the best at what I do. After college, my first paycheck was for a full line of air tools, second paycheck was on a brand spanking new jeep wrangler. Traveled the country for two years having the time of my life. Met my wife, bought a house, and had kids.

And now? I've moved to where off-roaders are welcomed, my jeep became a truck, my tent became a fifth wheel, and my tool box has a "painting" drawer, but the spirit remains. We still travel, we still do fun things, I just have to work twice as hard to afford to bring the kids along for the ride. 20 huors a week in overtime, but the experiences are priceless. Work HArd, Play hard.

Fun doesn't stop... Tedious things like mowing the lawn is still a source of pride for me.

I say keep working, gaining your skills, dreaming your dreams, and find out how to make them come true. It's your life, Live it!

thats how i would like to be sums it up for me.:clap: give that guy a beer:cheers:

lol yeah this generation is seriously fubar lol. but anyway kudos kid 13 i remember when i was 13 way back when i will admit i was lazy i got summer jobs after i turned 14 but they still never made me work for the pay simple office stuff. glad to hear your doing physical work imo thats is the best form of work. also i am a tad jealous to read you get to play around on equipment at your age im 19 and i just got to get on equipment its a blast isnt it. all i know is if you keep working this hard in the future it shouldnt be tough for you to find a job with that work ethic.:clap: but enjoy your younger years because they fly by or for me they did it seems like just yesterday i graduated from high school.

My cousin and her boyfriend came up from arizona way to stay for the summer(college summer break) and he just got some kind of certificate for electrical. i met him before a good guy really. he knows i cut wood so he has been bugging m to take him out to cut woods as he calls it. so i gave in today because it was a sizable cotton that i knew i would need help with.
So last night i call him up to see if he wanted to help he said yes told him i would pick him up at 6 a.m. he kinda complained about it. so i picked him up this morn a little after 6 and we made our way to the tree. well we got there fine backed up to a creek bed adjacent to it it was the only way to the tree which meant we had the tidious task of hiking out the wood by hand. i fell the tree the night before for safety reasons so all we had to do was buck so i filled both saws up(441,390) gave him the 390 to use then we walked over to the tree had to tell him how to start the 390. that probably should have bee n my first clue. but we started cutting i started on the trunk he started limbing everything was going good for at least 5 minutes. then i looked over to make sure he wasnt messing up but what happened dug the bar straight in the sand running wide open. ok just a sharpen right nope he destroyed the chain and i am not an awnry guy ever except i had put on a new woodlandpro 30 rcs loop.
After that i was on edge i didnt say anything because i knew i was going to have to have the teeth reground so i let him keep cutting anyway another bad choice. yet again glanced over to see him get the bar pinched not a bad thing but he keep holding the throttle and smoke was coming out of the clutch cover i was trying to yell it him to let go of the throttle didnt hear me of course. i finally got to him to let go i had him turn off the saw got the saw unstuck that was it for me had him put the saw down and help me start loading. i just cut the branches into 5 and 6 foot lenghts he cut the in 2' lenghts even though i told him between 5 and 6'.
So the hike was about 50 yards to the truck i lke to throw the lenghts into a pile so there a little easier to load so i threw them over the stump about 20' into a pile then went to the truck to get some water. i was watching him try to do it and :cry: he would throw them like 5' from where he was standing then he was throwing a lenght and he almost knocke himself out i really dont know how he made the log do that. almost all the loading i did myself but when we reached the halfway filled point he told me we should leave the rest for next week i just laughed because i didnt go up there to get a half cord of wood. i was still loading by myself then he had the audacity to ask me if we could go becuase he was tired then he started bit**ing about the mesquitos and if it wasnt 1 thing it was another.
i didnt say anything i kept my cool because i dont like screamers myself. but i needed a few rounds from the trunk to finish out the cord on my truck so i was cutting a round and i didnt notice the crack closing up by that time it was too late. so i tried a wedge but they werent working so luckily the only way to free up the bar was to lift up the trunk. so he was standing there watching me of course while i had to try and lift this close to 300# trunk he didnt even try to help me with it just stood and watched oh man i was so close to losing it and was going to roll him around in the dirt, oh yeah then after i got the saw out he said ''man your strong''. :chainsaw:so i said get the saw were leaving he did took 5 minutes to walk over and get it though. so locked in the hubs and we climbed back up onto the road got out unlocked them and took off. when i was driving i cooled off considerably but then he started talking about how he needed a job and how he was willing to work.
he told me he wanted a job doing electrical but i dont know if you guys know but nv has the highest unemployment rate so i just told him ''you need to start on the bottom and get some work under your belt because your fresh out of school with no work experience of anykind.'' he told me he was trying to get laborer but all i know is he wouldnt last for a day just to lazy and unwilling to work.
i am 19 BUT i have been blessed to work with a couple of older guys that taught me how to actually work and how my generation expects everything to be given to them and unwilling to do any sort of manual labor.:mad:

Your right! Kids don't want to work now days" But that has allot to do with the parents. I know some of you guys read my story about the neighbor boy. His parents, more,less thought i should pay him an hour of my earnings for about 15 minutes work. Back in the 70's and 80',my dad made as much if not more then i do now. He told me, if you want something, you have got too work for it""""" Guys, I don't have allot" but what I have got, IM PROUD OF IT"""""""

Ohh myyyyy, it's the generation thing.

" Why when I went to school we had to walk 4 miles without shoes in 5 feet of snow. And no gloves or hat, dint have any." :confused:

Some thought for you-- from the top (flames permitted):
Not much pre-cutting instruction from you.
No safety chat or PPE ---why?
Damn boy, you're 19. How many B&C's you been through ?
That truck whine :cry: is cute--blame who ?
You trying to hump a 300 lb butt !!??!!! Noodle the beast Forest.
Getting the bar pinched is rookie. Why brag ?
Plenty of more normal kids out there....who's fighting for you now ?

Must be that Nevada air.:monkey:

JMNSHO

That was my assessment, too.

You just cant hand a dude a Fender Strat and expect him to play like Jimi Hendrix right away.

Glad no one got hurt. The right tools in the wrong hands can be dangerous.

Mr. Injun, file this one under "lessons learned." Your acolyte had lots of enthusiasm, but little or no technical skill.

Enthusiasm will get a person far...but only so far without a few basic core competencies. In the wrong scenario, enthusiasm + lack of skill/awareness = ER visit.

yeah this is the last time i take anybody out too much risk i gave him instruction on most all the stuff except how to cut a log close to the ground i will admit its my wrong doing there. guess you cant take peoples word anymore.:monkey:

Ohh myyyyy, it's the generation thing.

" Why when I went to school we had to walk 4 miles without shoes in 5 feet of snow. And no gloves or hat, dint have any." :confused:

Some thought for you-- from the top (flames permitted):
Not much pre-cutting instruction from you.
No safety chat or PPE ---why?
Damn boy, you're 19. How many B&C's you been through ?
That truck whine :cry: is cute--blame who ?
You trying to hump a 300 lb butt !!??!!! Noodle the beast Forest.
Getting the bar pinched is rookie. Why brag ?
Plenty of more normal kids out there....who's fighting for you now ?

Must be that Nevada air.:monkey:

JMNSHO

yep thats how it happens out here right after went out got drunk fornicated with a hooker and went to the local casino.:monkey: i go through bars and chains because the sand. when it blows all that really fine sand accumulates in the wood and destroys bars and chains. you'd be lucky to get 15 cord out of a bar and chains. i couldnt noodle the trunk because my saw was stuck the other was not capable of noodling because the guy decided to try an trench with it. for what its worth.

yeah this is the last time i take anybody out too much risk i gave him instruction on most all the stuff except how to cut a log close to the ground i will admit its my wrong doing there. guess you cant take peoples word anymore.:monkey:

I might be mis-attributing this to Benjamin Franklin - or maybe just made it up at some point and thought it was smart enough for Ben to have said, but a good basic rule of education is:

-you remember/retain/learn 10% of what you hear
-you remember/retain/learn 50% of what you watch
-you remember//retain/learn 90% of what you do

Add to that, someone as young as your friend might not have the wherewithal to say, "Hey bud, I don't understand. Tell me again. And show me."

Latest posts

Back