Kids these days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be mis-attributing this to Benjamin Franklin - or maybe just made it up at some point and thought it was smart enough for Ben to have said, but a good basic rule of education is:

-you remember/retain/learn 10% of what you hear
-you remember/retain/learn 50% of what you watch
-you remember//retain/learn 90% of what you do

Add to that, someone as young as your friend might not have the wherewithal to say, "Hey bud, I don't understand. Tell me again. And show me."

:agree2::agree2:

This anecdote sounds more like the blind leading the more blind. Can you believe it, the boy actually "..drunk fornicated with a hooker." Is there any other way ? And in Nevada nonetheless!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused: Been there before :monkey:

There's a reason that the word is "TEACH", r "INSTRUCTor".

As the T-shirt says: " NO EXCUSES":cheers:

I have no problem with having fun,wether you young or old. Theres a time and place for it ,and I'm sad to say that work is being put to the way-side in order for "kids to be kids"
I know that hard work, dedication, and a sweaty brow is a hard lesson that kids need to learn! You all have seen the pics of my kids out with me cutting carrying and stacking wood. Im not trying to say that all hard work is done by the sweat of your brow,but the dirty hands is a necessity to teach the lesson that hard work wont kill you and, that better men then we have done their fare share to get us where we are today!
If you are a chainsaw jammer then you already know this. Hard work never hurt anyone.

wanting to learn is the responsibility of the student, though a good teacher can help. knowing and working are not much related, though sometimes I think it is inversely related. some of the best advice I've had on the job "save your thinking for lunchtime"

I got's my troubles sometimes. I hold hard work in highest esteem, but it's getting really hard to work alone anymore. I do much better with the comraderie of a work force around me.

I don't think it's a generational thing, 'cept maybe for one way or another being passed down from our family generations.

you can dog this, 'cuz it aint all true, but it is some true

Good to see that some kids still know how to work. That lazy stuff started with the 80's kids 50-50 some worked others got EVERYTHING from mommy and daddy. Not to insult anyone but IMO it gets worse every generation.:mad:

not only that--a lot of those kids that had everything handed to them--turn into leftist tree huggers--seen it one tooooo many times--no concept of reality whatsoever--

I might be mis-attributing this to Benjamin Franklin - or maybe just made it up at some point and thought it was smart enough for Ben to have said, but a good basic rule of education is:

-you remember/retain/learn 10% of what you hear
-you remember/retain/learn 50% of what you watch
-you remember//retain/learn 90% of what you do

Add to that, someone as young as your friend might not have the wherewithal to say, "Hey bud, I don't understand. Tell me again. And show me."

ill have to remember that. true words of wisdom.

I sort of skimmed through this thread,but a few things hit me that i feel the need to address.

I think in reality we all need to think back to the first time we picked up a saw,wether it was under the close supervision of a father or we were slung into it after we had left the nest.
Me,I learned from some of the roughest crowd there is, cranky old uncle who was like a father to me, and after I reached my teen years the logging crew in Cougar,Washington that lost their senses momentarily enough to hire me as an apprentice.

From my uncle I learned very little.He would shout, "dog gone it boy,dont do that!Them things cost money!" until his face turned as red as a babboons bottom,and I never learned a lot.
When I hired on with the pro crew, the trees got bigger,the bars got longer, and I found myself settling into even worse habits.But luckily for me, an old and wise man took some pity on me and realized that I needed a friend to work with,not an instructor.Instead of yelping, instructing,cajoling,and demonstrating,we worked together and he answered each and every question that I had.It became important to me to be as productive as he was, so i copied his style.He instructed me with an example and a twinkle in his eye, and within a month I was limbing with the best of them.

I guess my point is each and every instructor and student are different.If you really want to teach someone something, you need a couple of things.A willing student, and an instructor willing to take the time to find out how that student learns. Lord knows I have had more than my share of newbies come over and want to hoist a saw to wood, but I do my very best to make it a memorable occasion for them.I always figure they are going to learn more if I make em not only laugh a bit but actually get something done they can be proud of.I have never had a newbie learn a dang thing by losing my cool at them,even when they to screw up a chain.:)

by the sound of it he did seem a little not-gung-ho. but, how heavy is a 390+bar,probably not a good starter saw. when i work with someone new to saws,i stand there watching their every move helping them,not off cutting letting them wing it.bar in the dirt,done that and still do that,im guessing it had a 24"?,too much bar for a newby.i admire you for trying but it takes more than one time for people to get the hang of things(you got your bar stuck)give him a good sit down talk and tell him straight up either man up or find a desk job. but definatley keep trying to help him.

I think that is is the parents that make the kids what they are. I am trying to teach my kids (ages 4 and 6 1/2) what a dollar is. If you want something you have to save for it. I make them work for something, don't just hand out the money, but we do have fun too. I just hope that some day they end up appreciating that I made them learn what a dollar was for. I tend to think of almost everything in terms of how many hours I would have to work to buy it, helps to talk myself out of lots.

The other day I was leaving a store and the kid in front of me dropped several pennies saying what can a penny buy anyway. My 4 year old bent right down and picked them up, and said more money for my bank.

I have learned that I get better results from calmly explaining and asking rather than screaming. That goes for my kids and a crew of men so there is no difference there. I have taken to asking for a favor to do it my way rather than the way they are doing it. Seems to get a favorable response most of the time.

Well, here's some good news for you all!

You should have been with me today. I'm fixing up a house I bought several months ago to rent out, and I've been hiring some teens to help. Not really hiring, because they want to learn what I know about construction, so it's also education. I've got two sets of brothers that work, and they are good hard workers. (Well, 3 of them anyway). The H. brothers are pretty good, and I've been hiring them for over a year, but the B. brothers are fairly new to me, and I've been blown away at how hard they work. For greenhorn teens, they really sweat until the job is done. Their parents came to pick them up, but they wanted to get one more piece of siding on, even though it was VERY hot and VERY humid today. At lunch time they even got back to work even though the rest of us were still sitting and chatting.

The main reason these kids are such great kids is that they are home educated! I LOVE hiring home-educated kids. They are so smart, so polite, such hard workers, and can carry on an intelligent conversation on any topic. So that's my soapbox for the day. Get your kids out of the Gub'ment Skools, and train them up yourselves. It's the Gub'ment system that educated today's politicians. Need I say more?

God Bless!

Well, here's some good news for you all!

You should have been with me today. I'm fixing up a house I bought several months ago to rent out, and I've been hiring some teens to help. Not really hiring, because they want to learn what I know about construction, so it's also education. I've got two sets of brothers that work, and they are good hard workers. (Well, 3 of them anyway). The H. brothers are pretty good, and I've been hiring them for over a year, but the B. brothers are fairly new to me, and I've been blown away at how hard they work. For greenhorn teens, they really sweat until the job is done. Their parents came to pick them up, but they wanted to get one more piece of siding on, even though it was VERY hot and VERY humid today. At lunch time they even got back to work even though the rest of us were still sitting and chatting.

The main reason these kids are such great kids is that they are home educated! I LOVE hiring home-educated kids. They are so smart, so polite, such hard workers, and can carry on an intelligent conversation on any topic. So that's my soapbox for the day. Get your kids out of the Gub'ment Skools, and train them up yourselves. It's the Gub'ment system that educated today's politicians. Need I say more?

God Bless!

There is good and bad on both sides in almost evry thing. I hired a home schooled kid on a work study program. Home schooled execpt he went to school one day a weak for auto shop. Always on time and ready to work but had no common sense. I would tell and show a easyer way to do somethings and he would go back to his hard way. But he was learning so i let him figure it out on his own. Last fall i told him we were going to put the plow on my old ford the was sitting in the bay, he asked " should i got get the plow around back and bring it in" i said sore. LOL

Nothing wrong with home schooling, but kids do need some other interaction. I was home schooled for 2 years and I :censored: hated it. Finally convinced my parents to let me go back to public school. If id been home schooled all along, Id probably not known the difference. Schools not all about textbook, you also learn how to comunicate with others, and alittle common sence. I always learnt myself better than someone could learn me.

Well, you both have some good points. There are homeschoolers, and then there are homeschoolers. I suppose I should have made the caviat that when it's done right, home education is the best way to do it, but done wrong, it's probably the worst. Still, I would argue that the best that the Public system can do is far below the best that the home system can do.

there is a lot of stuff learned when in a public school setting that would never be learned at home , alone. you learn to work with others, large groups, after school sports/activities, social skills, all sorts of stuff. home schooling might be better for book smarts, but how would a 16 year old home schooled student act or feel around a bunch of 16 year olds that were public schooled and use to large groups of people

to the "op " -sounds like you are stereotyping everyone into one group based on your encounter with your cousins boyfriend one afternoon, thats offensive and politically incorrect!
in his defense, 50 yards is a LONG way, are you sure you arnt overestimating? :chainsaw:

Last edited:
I have had a few interactions with home schooled kids, and sorry to say they never were good interactions.

Some years ago I was in a volunteer fire department, and two of the other volunteers where home schooled. By far they were the most egotistical young adults I have ever met, they were convinced that they were far smarter,faster,stronger,and more talented than anyone they met. It was a constant battle with those two and their tendency to take over any scenario.
Personally,it was apparent to me that they had no social skills what so ever,but I dismissed them as one of a kind nut cases.

Then,sad to say, my cousin and his wife decided to home school their three children. After a visit last summer, I began to wonder if home schooling itself lent a hand to this thought process of "I am better than anyone else" line of thinking.Again, these children had a real tendency to look down on everyone,even adults.As my cousins wife explained to me, they are getting a far superior education than someone who is in public school, and they are just proud of the fact that they are smarter than adults 30 years their senior.

Sure, they may benefit from more one on one education,but lack many social skills that would have taught them that looking down on anyone is a sure fire way of making enemies quick.My daughter is staying in public education, as a thirteen year old she already is convinced she knows everything, I would hate to fan that fire anymore than it is!

Well, you both have some good points. There are homeschoolers, and then there are homeschoolers. I suppose I should have made the caviat that when it's done right, home education is the best way to do it, but done wrong, it's probably the worst. Still, I would argue that the best that the Public system can do is far below the best that the home system can do.

your assuming home school parents are educated and college graduate teachers are all stupid.well im proud of my public school learned kids,as for the neighbor that dropped out at 11th grade that home schools,well you can guess which ones will be flippen burgers.

your assuming home school parents are educated and college graduate teachers are all stupid.well im proud of my public school learned kids,as for the neighbor that dropped out at 11th grade that home schools,well you can guess which ones will be flippen burgers.

Nothing wrong with someone flipping me a burger! :cheers:

Back