Killed my Dolmar 5100S??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have recommended richening the fuel mix from 50-1 down to 40-1 and strongly recommend the use of Dolmar's Synthetic Oil. Scott

I'm not sure I understand that logic (I'm not a 2 stroke expert so please understand that I'm trying to figure this out).

A carb lets a set amount of mix through it in a given time (metering the mix).

The fuel burns and provides power, and a cooling effect.
The oil burns, provides no power, but provides lubrication.

If you add more oil to the fuel/oil mix; there is more lubrication but less gas. Isn't this effect essentially leaning out the mix (less gas to more air)?

I'm struggling to understand this concept, but it seems to make sense that making the mix richer with oil actually leans out the saw when it's running.......?

KRS

Sold over 100 5100's and I have had only two fail due to fuel and dull chains!

Bad fuel and dull chains are going to hurt any brand!!

Maybe we should have a poll........

Who owned a 5100 they laid to rest and who owns a 5100 that's still throwing chips and putting a smile on your face? :popcorn:

I'm not sure how to set up the polls....any one else want to bother?

good idea-- and post the saws set up, bar and chain .325 or 3/8, rim if changed, any mods. there may be a common link. ( many out of the same shop or certain part of the country). :popcorn:

I'm not sure I understand that logic (I'm not a 2 stroke expert so please understand that I'm trying to figure this out).

A carb lets a set amount of mix through it in a given time (metering the mix).

The fuel burns and provides power, and a cooling effect.
The oil burns, provides no power, but provides lubrication.

If you add more oil to the fuel/oil mix; there is more lubrication but less gas. Isn't this effect essentially leaning out the mix (less gas to more air)?

I'm struggling to understand this concept, but it seems to make sense that making the mix richer with oil actually leans out the saw when it's running.......?

KRS

Somebody wake up Gary. :popcorn:

Sold over 100 5100's and I have had only two fail due to fuel and dull chains!

Bad fuel and dull chains are going to hurt any brand!!

So true. I saw a utube vid where they ran a saw in/on a log till the log caught on fire. I like to keep a dull chain handy so if I run out of matches its no problem.

I suspect the Dolmars are factory set really lean to meet EPA... and dealers don't adjust them, or don't know how. Every one I've seen (yep, just a handful) are all set way too lean... (as are some small Stihls..)[/QUOTE]

thats how my 7900 was.dealer never set it.the tab had to be removed to richen it up about a quarter turn and its still hitting the rev limiter.

I suspect the Dolmars are factory set really lean to meet EPA... and dealers don't adjust them, or don't know how. Every one I've seen (yep, just a handful) are all set way too lean... (as are some small Stihls..)

thats how my 7900 was.dealer never set it.the tab had to be removed to richen it up about a quarter turn and its still hitting the rev limiter.[/QUOTE]

They're set up lean so they can get that 14'500 that they advertise so boldly on their air filter cover.

My dealer set mine up and ran them all........0 problems.......I run fresh gas with 2T and keep chains sharp like on all my saws.....

Mine are all set near 14,400

Last edited:
On a carb there are two jets, High and Low. A 2 stroke chainsaw engine is designed to either idle or run wide open. So it could be possible I suppose.

I'm not so sure about that. I just bought an Echo PB-251 leaf blower, and it clearly states in the manual to only use as much throttle as required for the job. I still run it wide open though.

Latest posts

Back