***killer combo***

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, you got a nice saw!!! And you came to the right place for advice, even though some people may disagree on some things.

I have the same saw, it came with a 20" Husky bar. I got an 18" Sugi Hara...turns out it's only 1/2" shorter than the 20" bar!!:msp_confused:
I can lift the saw by the handle with one finger and the saw is *perfectly* balanced. The bar is a 3/8 pitch, so I had to change the sprocket. A good learning experience for a noob. I run H47 Oregon chisel chain. 68 links to sharpen.....that's 4 less than the 18" chain on my 445.

I checked out the muffler mod threads and removed and modified the muffler (by taking the screen off, opening up a second port, and replacing it) before I ever fired the saw up.

I read all the PPE threads and got some chaps and a helmet the second I could afford them. Don't fool around with your life. Have you seen the damage a moving chain does to a human leg? Buy the safety equipment!!!

I read the sharpening threads, got a Husky roller guide, and now my oldest chain is sharper than the ones I've never used. This alone has made my cutting very rewarding. Sharpening the chain after every tank or two of gas has resulted in the chain getting sharper and sharper. I love the roller guide; it's fast and easy. Oh, and cheap! Only thing is you might want to get some better files for it.......

However much you like the saw now, you're gonna like it twice as much with a muffler mod. And after you run 10-20 tanks of fuel through it, it gets MUCH stronger. The sound is pretty strong with the modded muffler too. Ear protection is mandatory.

Good luck with the saw....I love mine.

I'm assuming that your saw probably has a safety chain on it now. Until you get used to running a saw you should stick with that. If you are cutting dirty wood you will be much happier with semi chisel. I run it on most of my saws because we drag our trees out of the woods and buck them at the landing. They some dirt on them on the way out and that dulls a full chisel chain fast.

Be safe and get some chaps! If you are felling trees get a helmet too. Ear plugs or muffs and safety glasses are a good to have too.

I run stihl rs chain on all my saws! It made my husky 445 with 18 inch bar and .325 pitch cut with authority! But as others have said don't forget or neglect yourself of ppe! The $100 I spent on it is worth it to me knowing that I have taken the proper steps to protect myself. This way I feel I can walk out of the woods and back to see my family another day.

Before getting a new bar or more chains get some chaps ,and eye protection with ear muffs .Then do a muffler mod after 1/2 gallon of mix or so and adjust the carb . Then lower the rakers till it starts to pull down and cut hard :msp_biggrin: if you dont want to spend money on chaps then carry a pair of small pair of needle nose vice grips to clamp the vein off .

Awesome advise! Think safe first...then think speed...then think money. The doctors would love to get all of your money if you are not careful.

Be safe, and drink lots of beer when you are done!

Thanks for all the info on everything. Im gonna take my saw in to my dealer and see if he can can do my mm for me. And help me pick out some chains for different jobs (clean wood and dirty wood.) Im going to make a new thread about PPE. THANKS.

Thanks for all the info on everything. Im gonna take my saw in to my dealer and see if he can can do my mm for me. And help me pick out some chains for different jobs (clean wood and dirty wood.) Im going to make a new thread about PPE. THANKS.

Warranty may be affected with a MM, could depend on your dealer (just worth checking on). To some it matters to have a warranty and to some it doesn't. I bet for now you will be more than satisfied with the 550xp in stock form as you learn the ropes. I'd get your saw broke in and gain some experience, then by all means, do a MM.

Edit: You are aware that you own a saw that is already a Hotrod in stock form, aren't you? To most humans it is anyway, just remember where you are. There are few mortals left here, most are chainsaw gods.
:bowdown:

Last edited:

Don't want to sound unfriendly but there are so many threads about PPE please use the search function to answer the basics before going into something special.

PPE = chainsaw safe chaps, gloves, helmet, eye & ear protection, minimum steel toed boots

everything should be available from your dealer!

A MM is actually against the EPA law as far as I have understood and serious fines can come from it! I seriously doubt that your dealer will do a MM.

No individual owner is going to be fined for doing a muffler mod, but I seriously doubt that you will be able to get your dealer to do it for you. When you are confident enough to do a muffler mod yourself, you are ready for a muffler modded saw;)

Someone quoted that EPA fines are a few thousand dollars. Don't remember in which thread it was.

Nothing wrong with the B&C that came with your saw! Just get a matching 2nd chain to go with what you have. I doubt your dealer put safety chain on a pro saw, mine here doesn't. Be careful, learn the saw and cut wood. When you are very comfortable with the saw and feel like experimenting, then get a different bar/chain combo to try.

personally don't like .325 i'd run 3/8's on a 18" but if you must run .325 the oregon 20 series chain is the way to go. you guys do know that 90% of the carlton chain is the same as the oregon stuff with different stampings right? all chains are gonna work for you, i like oregon personally, stihl has nice really sharp chain but i think it's to brittle. a proper 50cc class saw should be pulling 3/8's. think of it like this

lo-pro 3/8- Street Tires
.325- Drag Radials
3/8's- Slicks

this is of course after you wear your current set up out. 3/8's 18" would be a work saw setup .325 16" is a cookie cutting setup

We may be getting played by stihlgreenman. He just joined on the 4th and has already started a few suspicious threads. I think we have a bored long term member here who is just goofing on us. Could be just a real eager new member but something is fishy. My hats off to you either way. You have fooled me and others into thinking you are a new member or you have picked up on a lot of stuff quickly. No harm no foul just fess up Dennis Cahoon? Who else is awnry enough to play newbie? Name off the suspects and we will have a witch hunt!:rolleyes2:

Last edited:
I just bought my first pro saw. So im a rookie in the saw biz. I got a Husqvarna 550xp and I love it. I want to upgrade my bar and chain. Im running a 16 inch stock bar/chain. I would like to know what works best for ya'll. I'd also like it to be light weight. Thanks. Post awaya

If your bar is a .050 one with a narrow kerf chain (H30/95VPX), just get some loops of 20LPX (chisel chain) for it. It will work fine, even though it isn't the narrow kerf chain that the bar really are meant for. Keep the VPX chain for "dirty" wood.

This is bad advice ...
This is the typical ignorance...

He said he was wanting to upgrade, and asked what we used, and liked. I don't use or like semi.

I'll remember that you think I'm ignorant, however.

Have a nice day.

I think the general consensus is that stihl chain is the best imo and I personally believe so. Carlton is a close second...oregon is farther down the list. The same goes for bars imo.

Oregon makes the best .325 chisel chain (LPX), even though RS/RSC also is good (just not as fast and smooth in the cut). The difference is not large.

Forget the rather crude Carlton chain.

Nope im a 100% new person. Name is Dylan McNaughton age 18 my email is [email protected]. im from perry county pa... I do my homework on my stuff before I buy things and like to know what works best for other people.

Nope im a 100% new person. Name is Dylan McNaughton age 18 my email is [email protected]. im from perry county pa... I do my homework on my stuff before I buy things and like to know what works best for other people.

good deal. just remember this asking about opinions thing gets alittle hectic around here, weed through the BS and arguments and you'll have some useful info:cheers:

Latest posts

Back