Killing a pine Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Reaction score
There is an old pine on my property that is branchless but for the top 4 feet. I want to cut it down, others say it will come back. How can I kill the ???? thing? That way I can take it down without argument. Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Curt
There is an old pine on my property that is branchless but for the top 4 feet. I want to cut it down, others say it will come back. How can I kill the ???? thing? That way I can take it down without argument. Thanks for your help.

Whose the argument between? You, and the tree?

I think you should set a cot beneath it, and gnaw it down in the spare hours between writings...

Good Luck,

Bob Wulkowicz

I fail to see the problem...

It's on YOUR property, right?

If you are arguing with your wife, that's understandable, I've got the same argument with mine on a silver maple tree in our yard.

If you want it down, it's your right, you don't have to justify it, and it doesn't sound like it is adding a lot of value to your landscape.

I'm not going to tell you how to kill it due to liability reasons.

Originally posted by Dan F
I fail to see the problem...

It's on YOUR property, right?

If you are arguing with your wife, that's understandable, I've got the same argument with mine on a silver maple tree in our yard.

If you want it down, it's your right, you don't have to justify it, and it doesn't sound like it is adding a lot of value to your landscape.

I'm not going to tell you how to kill it due to liability reasons.

How about not telling him about it because of ethical reasons?

I do know that's a proxymoron because we's gots a chainsaw forum, but then again, when have any of us been held to being really consistent?

Lumpalong :D

If your question is will it sucker up from the stump, most old conifers do not regenerate basally, like many broadleaf trees will.

So cutting it to a low stump will most likely kill it.

As for how to cut it down, there I would have an issue in giving information;)

Errr....JPS. Reading his first post I understood that he wants it dead first so he won't get any grief for cutting it.
Sneak out in the middle of the night, drill some small holes in the trunk around the base. Pour herbicide in the holes. Act innocent...."Wow it must have borers":rolleyes: :p

Thank you Stumperand the few of you that tried to offer help. , That is what I was looking for. Not all the smart @$$ banter and childish antics.

Originally posted by Curt
Thank you Stumperand the few of you that tried to offer help. , That is what I was looking for. Not all the smart @$$ banter and childish antics.

Sorry, Curt if we didn't immediately fall all over ourselves to give you advice on how to kill your tree. Strikes me, you're a hypocrite and mostly cowardly, and I'm sad you find "the smart @$$ banter and childish antics" inconvenient to your main mission.

If you are offended by my choice of the word "cowardly", that's exactly what it is if you plan to sneak out in the night and pour herbicides in small holes.

If you ask questions on a public forum, expect to have all sorts of answers you might not like. I don't ever remember anyone checking with me first on how they were planning on answering.

Be patient, all us dim bulbs who write in contrary opinions will be fixed as soon as Ahnoldt gets elected...

Bob Wulkowicz

I'll explain my last post and go further with the original question now...

I had the worm that attacks the windows users. As I was typing the reply, I was about to get kicked offline and the computer was going to restart. I have since downloaded the patch, and strongly encourage everyone using windows to do the same. It didn't cause any damage on my part, just an annoyance, however, it has potential to cause you to lose a lot of unsaved info... (Which, BTW Bob, is why I only included the liability part last night. I was about to get booted and only had time to write that and not the ethical part:rolleyes: )

Now back to the original question. I still fail to see the problem. If the municipality is saying you can't cut it down, fine. SAY SO. If it's your nieghbors, so what? If it's your significant other, like I said, I can understand that.

Cut the stupid thing down if you want to cut it down.

I really don't appreciate being called a child or a smarta$$, unless I was trying to be childish or a smarta$$, which I really wasn't.:angry: I was just pointing out the obvious to me.

If you want to kill it, sneak out in the middle of the night with a handsaw and cut the thing down. Say vandals did it.

There, I was being a smarta$$. Call me that if you want to now.

Dan

I agree with Bob, he's a coward for wanting to find a backhanded way to get rid of something that others don't want removed.

Instead of flooking for common ground, he wants a simple fiat to drive away in.

(can one use poetic lisencousness when being punny?)

ROTFLMFAO

You guys are great entertainment!!:rolleyes:

But before I'll take sides here, I'd like to hear more details..and see some, like a photo of the tree....

...and mebbe the wife...:cool: :angel:

Could we branch out and somehow achieve some Maas dampening?

DanF, Congratulations on achieving wise donkey status. Be careful though, agreeing with Bob Wolfinghalfwits is highly suspicous.

Curt, No offense but, if this is your tree just cut it and tell the neighbors (politely) to mind their own business. If you are looking for ways to kill somebody else's tree... What I said earlier WILL work. It would also constitute a criminal act.:angel:

Originally posted by rbtree
ROTFLMFAO

You guys are great entertainment!!:rolleyes:

But before I'll take sides here, I'd like to hear more details..and see some, like a photo of the tree....

...and mebbe the wife...

Is that your wife, with the saw? Do you sleep with one eye open? Or wait for the sound of the chainsaw starting up in the garage?

We understand... :rolleyes: never teach em to use power tools.:cool:

:rolleyes:

Boob Wulkowicz

Actually, I think that if a forum is put up for the residential class, people that reply should answer questions without offending and antagonizing.

The original post may or may not be taking the bold approach, but there is 50% chance of taking the wise route.

Its called living in peace with neighbors. If people next door are not on the same "wavelength", it can be sensible to take to conduct affairs in a way that does not stir up controversy.

Its not identical to, but reminds me of how parents may wait and eat ice cream at 8pm, after their young kids go to bed at 7pm, if the kids already had sweets earlier, and mom and dad did not want them to have more.

Instead of tempting their kids, or being rude, they take action that serves their needs but does not affect the attitudes of the children.

So without knowing the full details of Curt's situation, I'll give him credit for being an adult with as much wisdom as any of us.

Latest posts

Back