Kindling making

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I've been burning wood a long time. Until I came to AS, my favored type of kindling was a jug of diesel by the stove. I've reformed though, no need to smack me around for it. From there, it was mostly splitter trash and noodles if I had em handy. It worked good, but tended to be a bit messy. I kind of migrated to resplitting smaller pieces for kindling with a hatchet, but it wasn't a lot of fun.

Since I got my Fiskars X-7, that changed. I'm now a kindling splitting junkie. This little guy makes it fun, if I could make a living selling kindling I'd do it 12 hours a day. It's become a game of mine to see how small I can split stuff, about 1/4x3/8" is my record right now.

Problem is, I'm run flat out of storage containers. Wonder what's on sale in town?

Yes, I am a bit strange, I like being strange. Normal sucks.

attachment.php

Steve, I have a few 5 gallon pails you can have if ya want em-

I can send them to the next gtg or contact me if you come this way

-dave

I've got 2 good sources. One supplies me with slab off the mill, the other is a dry-waller; free buckets...

Good lookin' starter you got there.

5 gallon pails - why didn't I think of that? Time to go raid the ice shack :D

Oh no ! Ice fishing is far too close. I use plastic garbage cans with a lid that latches on, a bungee across the top insures that it stays in place, ya can get a bunch of kindling in a 30 gal garbage can.

When I'm splitting kindling is a byproduct. Never had to do it intentionally. Plus, once the cold weather sets in, I'm burning 24/7, so I don't need to restart my fire. I shovel the ash from under the coals when it gets full, leaving the coals behind. Then just some soft wood on top and before you know it I have a blaze again.

Yes, I could also hook you up with some 25 gallon drums if you ever came around my way.

with you on that one .once im up and running i dont need much kindling. i do shut it down every 4-5 weeks and give it a good cleaning weather it needs it or not. had a chimney fire once and dont want to go there again.

I'll be going 24-7 soon as well, but I've been lighting fires on and off since the middle of September, and will be again come spring. Even so, a little kindling on the coals helps get things cranked up again after I've been gone to work for 10-12 hours.

But you guys are kind of missing my point - it's FUN!!!

Laroo - my fishing crazed buddy usually gets out on early ice by Thanksgiving here, but the forecast makes that look pretty unlikely this year. It will be the middle of next month before I venture out on the ice. Lake of the Woods in Feb for my winter vacation.

I'll be going 24-7 soon as well, but I've been lighting fires on and off since the middle of September, and will be again come spring. Even so, a little kindling on the coals helps get things cranked up again after I've been gone to work for 10-12 hours.

But you guys are kind of missing my point - it's FUN!!!

Laroo - my fishing crazed buddy usually gets out on early ice by Thanksgiving here, but the forecast makes that look pretty unlikely this year. It will be the middle of next month before I venture out on the ice. Lake of the Woods in Feb for my winter vacation.

I was on the ice the day after Thanksgiving last year, don't know if it will happen this year. If you will take me with on your vacation, I'll store your kindling under my bed and deliver on request:msp_biggrin:

My kindling rack, just inside the door to the woodshed. I also keep a couple of handfuls in a flower pot on the covered porch for immediate use.

attachment.php

I like the "kindlin" that you keep in the yellow "boxes"
The stuff in the red "boxes" doesn't last long enough, IMO. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

More on topic...I've been trying to decide beween a X7 and a X15 for making kindlin etc, whachyallthink?

My kindling rack, just inside the door to the woodshed. I also keep a couple of handfuls in a flower pot on the covered porch for immediate use.

attachment.php

Fuel can in the doorway to set off an inferno :msp_ohmy:

I don't split kindling I just collect some dropped Eucalypt tree branches and break them up as the oils in some species even when dry are an accelerant. Have a stash down the side of the house undercover and a 60l plastic bin load near the door.

More on topic...I've been trying to decide beween a X7 and a X15 for making kindlin etc, whachyallthink?

My vote goes to the X7, although I haven't tried the X15. I just like the compact "hatchet size" for my uses. Anything I'd be tempted to get an X15 for, big brother can do. (X25 for now, X27 on the Christmas want list)

Still use my Stihl for the S,M&L Kindling..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back