Kit saws.. farmertec? Reviews. Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie1124

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thinking Bout buying a kit saw as a learning experience.. want to put it all together like a model car kit. Seeking advise on hutzel/farmertec. Or any other kitsaws. Any other brand kits?

Here is a lengthy thread that you may find interesting. I find that mixing OEM parts has better results. I would buy anything made of rubber OEM and toss what comes with it. Also upgrade the rings to Caber. A lot of people on here find the clones are junk but I don't have a problem as long as you're not trying to sell them as oem. I've been thinking about the MS380 kit.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...-ms660-updated-build-kit-build-thread.313223/

The only kits I've seen are farmertec, whether sold by huztl, eBay or somewhere else. There is a ton of info about them on here. I think they are better now than they used to be. Some folks have gotten pretty good kits. I have the 660 kit and it is a total piece of crap. I have the 365/372 kit and it's decent.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I got a 660 built a year ago that runs pretty good.
Only part I replaced with oem is the wrist pin bearing. Worst thing was the chincy oiler but replaced that with a HO from ebay.
This was the first time I put a chainsaw together it was fun and good learning experience.
What kit are you looking at?

I have two now. Yes there are some issues with them. I have not had any trouble with the rings or anything else. Oem saws have issues. The Stihls I have seen lately are are pure junk so what is the difference. That means that not all Stihl products are worthless just some of the saws do not fit my needs. I will not say that I know every thing, but putting the kits together is not hard or new. I often will get ahead of myself and pick up screws that belong on the intake manifold when they are supposed to be for the crankcase. Then I am hunting around for the right screws from my own supply. Thanks

I've done four of the 372 kits. out of the four kits two of the carbs where just to hard to tune so I replaced them. None of the oil pumps put out like OEM. Two of the cylinder intakes where machined wrong and I asked them to replace one of them. The oil slot for the bar is a little off but it's an easy fix. Once you get the bugs worked out they run pretty good. I got all four of mine off ebay for $159 each including shipping so It's was worth the money and I enjoyed putting them together.

If you take your time with the build and swap out a few parts as mentioned you should wind up with a pretty good saw. It's a fun time too.

While I have not bought a full kit, I have purchased a few components from FT/Huztl. I've found the quality to be ok on the "good" parts to downright awful.

My advice: visit some local shops and ask for a "project saw", "parts unit", or "abandoned saw". Tell them you're looking for something to tinker with over the winter. Then, tear it all down and you'll have the same thing as a huztl kit, only all of the parts are OEM quality. Replace what needs replacement, and build yourself a nice saw. You'll come out better or even money wise, and have something of value that you can be proud of. Plus you'll keep a saw from heading to the landfill. There are plenty of members here who would help you along the way. Good luck and have fun!

I have built a few Kit saws and mostly with good results. I use all OEM gaskets and seals but I do use the supplied rubber parts and have yet to have a failure (although I expect much shorter life). I don’t see a point of using a lot of OEM parts as it defeats the low cost point of the kit saws.

I should note that the 660 kit saws have far exceeded my expectations. The 361 has been a disappointment as the manufacturing quality of the case is awful making every step of the build a challenge. The 440 kits have so far been good.

My personal 660 kit saw has the big bore and is only used for big dead ash and I love the saw. It is a beast and simply a blast to run. It gets at least a tank or two every weekend during the winter months.

I don’t build and sell kit saws however. I build them for friends and personal use only. They are no replacement for OEM but great in applications where the help is abusive. They are a lot of fun. There are countless tips and tricks listed on this site and lots of outstanding YouTube videos.

Best of luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think if I were to start from scratch on this I would either get the big Blue g660 power head Or the orange 65cc g372 power head and build from there. The 365/372 kit actually wasn't bad either and my 372 kit saw is a good running saw. BUT I decked the cylinder. You might consider putting a better top end on that kit and end up with something useful. I can say that the 360 & 361 were both a carburetor challenged kit form, and I would stay away from the new power head labeled g372xp with the high top as well. The low top version is way better stuff, actually a descent saw as it was delivered. The three kits that I've had good results from are the 038, 066, and the 365/372. Was able to mix in better AM and OEM on the 660's and end up with decent saws. Of course this all assumes the parts now in the kits are the same as the ones I had in mine.

I just posted in another thread some of the 066 kits saws I developed at work. Certainly not junk saws, but I did swap things out to come up with those three builds. And I have three more in more aggressive states of tune for myself. Took a lot of research and trial and error, but I had a lot of fun doing those projects over the past 4 years.

I think if I were to start from scratch on this I would either get the big Blue g660 power head Or the orange 65cc g372 power head and build from there. The 365/372 kit actually wasn't bad either and my 372 kit saw is a good running saw. BUT I decked the cylinder. You might consider putting a better top end on that kit and end up with something useful. I can say that the 360 & 361 were both a pig in kit form, and I would stay away from the new power head labeled g372xp with the high top as well. The low top version is way better stuff, actually a descent saw as it was delivered. The three kits that I've had good results from are the 038, 066, and the 365/372. Was able to mix in better AM and OEM on the 660's and end up with decent saws. Of course this all assumes the parts now in the kits are the same as the ones I had in mine.

I just posted in another thread some of the 066 kits saws I developed at work. Certainly not junk saws, but I did swap things out to come up with those three builds. And I have three more in more aggressive states of tune.
Do you have one of the g372xp saws? I was just wondering what is wrong with them.

Do you have one of the g372xp saws? I was just wondering what is wrong with them.

Parts in the 365/372 kit and the g372 are better. Not the same stuff as those two, big blocky handle, plastic carb support Actually doesn't vibrate much at all, same power as the g372 though. Finicky carb & those goofy parts is all.

I'm looking at the ms200t complete repair kit. From farmertec. Also looking at the 044 complete repair kit . Would that be the build kit? Wat else could be done to make it as reliable as possible? Besides what has been mentioned.

C R A P
Clones. Really. Arent. Preferred.
I can agree to a point. But when one is looking at it as a cheaper alternative to put together a saw from nothing. And have something that runs and usable in the end,300-600$ vs 150-250$ quite a big difference.. it's about learning the inner workings of a saw. Not rebuilding a exact OEM replica. Must be well off on Money and be able to buy 400$ fixer uppers.your input has been recorded n thank you. Duly forgotten as well.. as water on a duck back.

Now back to topic. I'm not a big husky fan. Ran quite a few. And not to impressed. I love me sum Stihl tho. Grew up with em. Use em daily.. (plus kinda don't want to dilute my Stihl garage with other colors). Biased I know. Very well interested in the H ms660 tho.. good power for abusive work.. good learning experience. Still looking to tinker with a Hms200t.. just to learn n see what it's capable of. Any of y'all. Have experience with the Hms200t?

Or.. of wrong area I'm sorry.. scalding will be accepted then. But if any of y'all have a cheaper top handle saw youd be interested in selling to someone to rebuild and learn. Let me know.. sorry. Stihl only..
I did own a echo cs330t and was impressed tho.....

Some would believe if your not able to spend $600-$1200 on a chainsaw your not deserving of one. I think everyone would prefer OEM but we live within our means. I don't owe money to anyone and plan to keep it that way. If I paid the bills with the saw I could justify the expense of OEM but I don't thats why all my saws where fixer uppers.

I say buy one if you want. There fun to build and the experience is invaluable. Just my 2cents.

@Charlie1124

It was humor man. I help promote and sell Hyway parts.
Gotcha man. No hard feelins then. Lol. Just defense before required I guess.

Some would believe if your not able to spend $600-$1200 on a chainsaw your not deserving of one. I think everyone would prefer OEM but we live within our means. I don't owe money to anyone and plan to keep it that way. If I paid the bills with the saw I could justify the expense of OEM but I don't thats why all my saws where fixer uppers.

I say buy one if you want. There fun to build and the experience is invaluable. Just my 2cents.

I got Stihl 024 av super,ms211,028 WB super.. just looking for a inexpensive learning tool. That when done happen to be usable. Hints why im looking into something I don't have. But in a nutshell. You are exactly right. Living within my means. I have no debit. And plan to stay that way. So yes. You'd be right. The saws iv had I've saved up for. Some times cpl months before I could afford them.

Back