Knot question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is using an anchor on the dead end of his climbing line. Since he has the tail locked through the slip bight it is no longer a slip knot.

Sounds a little bulky to me, I'll take the scaffold (like that better, it differentiates from all the is double, triple, looped fishermans) so I can pop the carab off and pull it apart.

Most deffinately.

I like the anchor, and use it when i need to climb on a fixed bridge (Ooops! dropped my splitail!)

What I like with the scaffold on a deadend is that it comes apart easily and tails back up the rope. Nothing safety wise, like deadending with a clove.

JP-
I have 2-3 biners set up for my split tail, complete with tender pulley. If you drop your split tail (or even just the pulley) more than once a month, you might clip an extra one on your saddle. It is also handy for redirects where you might swap ropes or use the tail of your lifeline. I've started carrying an extra on big trims with multiple tie-ins. I can tie myself in on a different rope before removing the split tail from my old rope. In a pinch I can even use the split tail and biner for a redirect or other uses by clipping the tres cord over a limb.

I usualy carry an old 1/2 split with me for doubel ending. It is usualy when i forget or lend it out that I end up dropping the main one. What I have done then is take my AFC apart.

I've dropped my pulley enough that I've added another deltalink, put a dog clip on that so I don't have the pulley on the tress cord carab any more.

Am I using the "wrong" knot?

I use a bowline running bowline for many uses but noone mentions this knot. When I am not using my french prusik with micropulley on a dogclip I tie in with a bowline to a carabiner, use the tail to tie a taughtline to the other side and a safety knot behind that (tried and true, old style). I had the blake slip on me and thus switched to the french prusik but sometimes the french prusik grows legs (a climber borrows my saddle and I put the prusik in some stupid place). Is the taughtline outdated or is it preference?

Squirrel,
Welcome to AS, seen you over at TB recently.

Here's a picture of the Distel hitch I'm using, including the two scaffold (or double fisherman's) knots attaching it to the carabiner. I've been recommending this hitch to anyone and everyone who will listen since switching over from a tautline last year.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Squirrel,
I've been recommending this hitch to anyone and everyone who will listen since switching over from a tautline last year.

I listened and I love the setup! Right know I'm using an eyespliced cord for the distel from the Sherrill catalog. I also just recently ordered some tress cord to tie my own now that I'm comfortable using the distel hitch. ;) This hitch seems to loosen up when weight is let off of it making it advance up the rope easier. With a slack tending pulley I don't even have to touch it on the ascent.

Here's some pics of the climb w/ Brian (treeclimber165) and monkyepuzzle last weekend. . .

This one is Brian making a swing.

No one in Florida ever has any fun.:(
Looking at the picture of MP and remembering another you posted recently hmmmmmm............ There is something familiar about that face......:p

I'm going through my wanted posters-maybe there is a reward available. You'd think that with a face like that he'd have been arrested long ago!;)

Mike

Where's the other pictures of you? I know we got a few pictures of you waltzing around in that monster tree.

Just so you guys know, Mike is a lot better climber than he lets on. He was really comfortable in his gear and gets around quite well.
:cool:

Here is where I display all kinds of ignorance. Watch out. I was looking at Brian's distel pic. (Nice pic)

From the hitch to the krab, there is maybe only 2 inches. (is this the "bridge"?) Then that is connected to the rope via pulley so your bridge is just a krab's length.

I am using the same hitch w/out the micro pulley but have 12-16 inches for a bridge where it clips into my krab.

I have tried this w/the micro and the vt like in Jepson's book but it seems so short of a distance that there is no room for me to grab underneath the hitch to advance the system. If there is room, it is only for a small advance. Do you pull down from the tail behind and underneath you??

With my current system, I grab underneath the hitch, which while hanging is a full extension of my arms above me, and pull up making for several feet of advancement with each pull.

When I try the one in the pic, the hitch, etc is at chest height when pulling to advance so I can only get short strokes.

These setups seem to work so grat for ya'll. what am I doing wrong? What am I not "getting"???

please help. I can take any kind of photos if needed.

airhumping is not my entry method but I still use it often on distances too short to warrant footlocking.

Also - I ordered some line from sailnet and fear my grandchildren will be too old to climb when it arrives.

Hi Nate-
When I first tried this hitch I had the same issues. But I quickly figured out that I had to change my whole concept of how to use my friction hitch. This is much more of a 'hands-off' hitch. To advance the rope, simply pull the tail out and the pulley advances the hitch. The shorter the bridge, the better it works. This allows one hand advancement for your hitch, instead of grabbing the rope with one hand and the hitch with your other. Especially handy when limbwalking and you need to pull out your slack while holding on for balance.
For air humping, I pull myself up by grabbing the rope above the hitch and then pull the tail out below the hitch (when I'm not wearing my Pantin). The beauty of this hitch is that the rope will almost fall through it when it isn't loaded.
The only time I really handle my hitch is to descend. When I let go, it grabs. This is much different from when I used a tautline and kept one hand on the hitch almost all the time.

I'd give SailNet a call on their 800 number. They have always been very responsive for me. I think the longest an order took to arrive was 5 days, but that was a holiday weekend.

I will give it a try but i fear I will understand why many think the front strap on the butterfly is too long.

I will try thinking outside the box and get back with you.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment Brian! ! !

I just got back from the Jacksonville Vermeer dealer. I had the sales rep pre order the saddle I wanted w/ large d's and everything. I tried it on w/ a tree out front and felt real comfortable in it! Let ya'll know more after I put it to use this weekend.

Here's another picture, rope got in the way, but it's cool!:cool:

Latest posts

Back