knowing your saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
this post is about an user becoming so familar with his saw that he knows immediately if theres a change in its opertation. also he knows how to get the most outa the saw. u can mod. u can switch to other saws all the time . but in doing this switching around u sacrifice that oneness, with u saw. jmo.
i have three, go to saws. 026 962 olympyk,and 372 husk. im only just now getting to the point that these saw are just an exstension of my arm..
that only comes with time in with them.i no longer look for saws except to sell.
just thot id thro this in foir all the users that continually switch from saw to saw. also this is just, this sawers opinion . but i do believe it has merit.

If one knows one's saw, one is more likely to know how to become more efficient with it, and know when something is amiss. knowing your machines matters, if you dont, you're probably as productive as a snail.

Would it help to name them? I was thinking, ...maybe something like Butch for my 951 and Rex for my 7900 and Claud for my old 355 Olympyk. This would not be a good time for me to name a couple of other saws. I'm trying to live a good Christian life and watch my language. Is this what you mean, or something else? If not, never mind. ;)

A good saw is a clean saw - and in taking them apart and back together for maintenance and repair I find I have become more comfortable running them as well...

I think this is like everything else in the world, some has a "feel" for the saw, others will never, ever even glim's at the saws real potential.

I agree, In the world of firearms they say "Beware of a man who owns and uses but one gun"

I call it 'bonding with the machine'. Doing your own maintenance and repairs is also part of the process (which is why I also do as much of the work on my car/truck as I can).

It is clearly a guy thing, cuz my wife doesn't get it at all.

You're dead right about the wife not getting it...but then most of us guys...don't turn to melted butter and make blubbering fools of ourselves around babies...aye...yep, some people are just not aware of themselves or there suroundings...you know the type that don't use their rearvision mirrors, don't know when their mufflers about to fall off, when it does they keep on going anyway.....where the hell is this going !

Do you know why men have love affairs with machines? Because you only have to listen to them when you turn them on and then you love to listen to them scream. If they complain too much: you fix em, trade em in or just put them on the shelf and play with the new model. Everything we wish we could do with our wives.

klickitatsacket said:
Do you know why men have love affairs with machines? Because you only have to listen to them when you turn them on and then you love to listen to them scream. If they complain too much: you fix em, trade em in or just put them on the shelf and play with the new model. Everything we wish we could do with our wives.
I cant help but laugh at that, its so true though.

Mange said:
I think this is like everything else in the world, some has a "feel" for the saw, others will never, ever even glim's at the saws real potential.

You see the same thing in fishing too Mange. Some guys can use the same fly or bait, and not catch a thing. There's alot to feel, and it's nice to be in tune with your saws, and be able to pick up the saw you need for the job, and not even have to think about what you're doing. Just pick up the right saw for the job, and have it ready to go.

...At least I think I'm that way.

Jeff

if u think u are . u understand what im talkin about. you are that way..
.the ones who cant comprehend what we are talkin about . probably never will. somethin else will have to be their strength.

That is important to see, all is not good at everything.
It is one thing to want to be good at it, and another to actually be good at it.
How to see this?
Is it OK if you get to hear it, yes, but not depend on hearing it. It is important to be objective and honest about everything, at least to one self (not sure how to phrase this correct).

tony marks said:
if u think u are . u understand what im talkin about. you are that way..
.the ones who cant comprehend what we are talkin about . probably never will. somethin else will have to be their strength.

Absolutely. Same thing with cars. Some people can Drive, others merely operate the vehicle. Biker vs. motorcycle rider. Sawyer vs. wood cutter.

Tony--Sounds like you're right on the money.

Dean--I had to grin when I read your post.

OSA--Marriage has its ups & downs. Best advice that I can offer is look at all the angles, expect a few surprises, & don't rush things (sort of like tree care?).

Back