Knowledge Test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need to be careful with how you treat people. I would keep it simple. Most people I know tell the guy come in and give it a try for the day. I would keep a back up plan if that guy can't perform the work. I used to love it when we would get a new guy in. It was like Christmas morning seeing them at the shop when I arrived.

It's fun to play with them a little before you get out there and let them brag it up and tell you stories of how great they are. I let them think I am pretty clueless. Then when you get out there just run circles around them. It sure is fun to humble them. They almost never seem to work out or make past the first day. I had one guy ask if he could do it tomorrow once. Had another last aobut 20 minutes before saying he didn't sign up for all this and walk off.

Who wants to come work with me? No tests here.

After a short phone conversation in regards to their experience to determine if they even warrant an interview,we have them come to the shop for an interview which will hopefully lead to asking them to come in to work with us for a day so that we can have a general idea of their skill level and they can see how we work. Most phone responses to ads for skilled climbers do NOT qualify for an interview. For example: I've done it all but I draw the line at 300 feet, I won't go higher than that. Or, you know ,I put on those boot things and they put me up in the tree and I do my thing and then they bring me back down. Not many make the first day. Most don't last past one or two weeks. No test will tell you whether or not he is a slacker,a motor mouth,a moocher,or a hundred other problem types you don't need. I have always wanted to have one of those toddler toys with all of the different shaped holes and pieces. Lose less than one piece:groundman. Get all of the pieces into holes:climber. Get all of the pieces into the right holes: foreman.

tree Guise said:
After a short phone conversation in regards to their experience to determine if they even warrant an interview,we have them come to the shop for an interview which will hopefully lead to asking them to come in to work with us for a day so that we can have a general idea of their skill level and they can see how we work. Most phone responses to ads do for skilled climbers do NOT qualify for an interview. For example: I've done it all but I draw the line at 300 feet, I won't go higher than that. Or, you know ,I put on those boot things and they put me up in the tree and I do my thing and then they bring me back down. Not many make the first day. Most don't last past one or two weeks. No test will tell you whether or not he is a slacker,a motor mouth,a moocher,or a hundred other problem types you don't need. I have always wanted to have one of those toddler toys with all of the different shaped holes and pieces. Lose less than one piece:groundman. Get all of the pieces into holes:climber. Get all of the pieces into the right holes: foreman.
Welcome, Tree, Sounds like you have a bunch of loser job seekers down there, climbing isn't a job you can BS into. Talk is cheap, so are tests in this area.

Ummm OK: :monkey:

Me thinks he is famous in his head and in his dreams, and oh yeah, and in Murphy's dreams too.

From the attitude Ive seen displayed here and at TB its no wonder noone wants to work with him.

Maybe he should move to Cali, and we'll start calling him Hollywood :clap:

what vids

tophopper said:
I just watched his vids at TB.....

Im so very impressed, can I have your autograph Hollywood

:greenchainsaw:
what are the vids under? at tb

meaning what?

jmack said:
d.i.l.l.i.g.a.f.
Not very knowledgeable about computer speak, my best guess is lmao means- "lets meet ass----, outside". Jmack, I kind of do think you were a tool to say that about Wradman, that means tool, spelled tool.

clearance said:
Not very knowledgeable about computer speak, my best guess is lmao means- "lets meet ass----, outside". Jmack, I kind of do think you were a tool to say that about Wradman, that means tool, spelled tool.
yeah i was a tool, sorry wradman those letters were before computers

lmao

clearance said:
lmao= laughing my ass off

are you guys having a bad time here,I'm just having a little fun let me know when we're not.

good

wradman said:
lmao= laughing my ass off

are you guys having a bad time here,I'm just having a little fun let me know when we're not.
its all good:cheers:

clearance said:
How dare you speak to me like that, do you know who I am? Do you?
I agree. BigJohn's ego is outta control. There are millions of people more famous than he is with a fraction of the ego! Why oh why? Can't he just be an arborist like the rest of us?

I am saying hire people you know. People you have heard of, people with a reputation. If your really serious put up the money and they will come. I never said I was famous. If someone local here hadn't heard of me than he probably isn't in the "loop" and worth working for. I'm not a babysitter and don't the time and patience to train anyone.

murph may he R I P, may also be known as Dr. Fronkenshteen, for he hath truly created a monster.:stupid:

If you want a good climber to take a written test wait till he retires , you should stay out of tree work and go back to being a cop . book smarts does not get the tree pruned or down safely or properly.I have worked for plenty certified arborists who didn't have a clue what they were doing, unless they were pushing a pencil.

RolloriClimber said:
If you want a good climber to take a written test wait till he retires , you should stay out of tree work and go back to being a cop . book smarts does not get the tree pruned or down safely or properly.I have worked for plenty certified arborists who didn't have a clue what they were doing, unless they were pushing a pencil.
Its true, its true, somebody that agrees with what I have been saying all along. Textbook hero-workplace zero. "Plenty"-hear it?

Latest posts

Back