Knuckleheads in the news

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a tree lawn, some sort of easment or something? Was it in this guys yard?

I'm not exactly sure, but I suspect it to be the area between the sidewalk and the curb. Here it is called "the parking".
In my city we only own from the edge of the alleyway to the edge of the sidewalk. We are responsible for the maintenance/repair of the sidewalk and curb as well as the grass/lawn and trees but the city will haul off storm debris and leaves piled neard the curb.

police were told the culprit was upset with debris that drops from the tree and the mess it causes in his yard, officers were told. The tree was growing in a tree lawn, making it city property.

It's the small lawn area between your property boundary and the road.

Over here you get fines for littering, how about over there?

Can you drive down the road with mulch chips blowing off the back of your truck?

Over here you get a fine for that.

So if their tree is dropping crap on my property I'd consider it littering. Same goes for any tree that I dont personally own. Trees that over hang boundaries are also TRESSPASSING trees. Dont know whether that one was or not but unless they are protected you are allowed to cut them back to the boundary line.

The guy done what many do, most drill and poison. Don't know how they got evidence to prove it was him, most simply deny it and you need proof or witnesses.

Just shows, not everyone likes trees and forcing your trees upon others doesn't always work out as in this case.

Last edited:
Ekka . Most Towns in the States are about the Same. Some a lot More.If you don't take Care of what is yours, They will and put the cost on your Tax's. Some will tell you what you can Cut, what you can Plant, If you can Burn.or not, when you can run a chain saw or chipper. I know North of Chicago some towns wanted to Outlaw leaf blowers too Loud, at least tell they found out the added cost to have all the leaves Raked.
I guess it can be the same all over someone always to tell you how to

Ekka . Most Towns in the States are about the Same. Some a lot More.If you don't take Care of what is yours, They will and put the cost on your Tax's. Some will tell you what you can Cut, what you can Plant, If you can Burn.or not, when you can run a chain saw or chipper. I know North of Chicago some towns wanted to Outlaw leaf blowers too Loud, at least tell they found out the added cost to have all the leaves Raked.
I guess it can be the same all over someone always to tell you how to

+1 tell you how I have found a cure I will stick a rake in their hand lol!

My neighbour rang up the council and had 4 trees planted on the footpath yesterday ... free to them.

To live with trees is to live with some tolerance of what they do ... but my above post was more antagonistic of the way not everyone fits the mould.

For some, the direction their property faces means a lot of the debri from the street blows into their yard. In some extreme cases I have seen councils cut down trees (poor species selection) especially when the resident is elderly.

I once lived smack bang at the end of a culd-e-sac. The driveway was like a funnel for winds blowing a mountain of leaves etc straight up to our garage door. When I opened the door to get the car out etc a pile of leaves blew in, most annoying. I lived with it as the shade the trees offered was more valuable in the hot weather we have however some people would have been really pissed.

There's many disputes that run over trees and working in the business you'd realise that.

Last edited:
I knew what you meant. I have had to go into those culd-e-sac's and remove all 8 American Elms, 1 had been found with D.E. and the City said take them all. Just try and explain that to Homeowners. They soon forget all about the Years of complaining about Leaves, Sticks and Debri

Back