Kubota pony motor shuts down, HELP!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Stumps

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have an old 97 Asplunda truck with this motor in it. It will start fine, run fine then just die and leave me stranded in the bucket. Sometimes it wont even start at all. I tried using my PTO or the knob you twist and pull up and push down by the driver side seat but never figured how to make it work so I guess thats broke too. I changed the fuel pump and it didn't help. I took the wire off going to the coil and held it up to the frame and cranked it over and there was no spark. Should there have been a spark doing that? I tested one of the wires going to one of the plugs and it lit me up so i know I got fire there. Any idea to help me out. I use this truck daily and really feeling the pinch. No one in my area works on this from what I can find out. Quick response would be great guys. Thanks in advance.

Hello all, I have an old 97 Asplunda truck with this motor in it. It will start fine, run fine then just die and leave me stranded in the bucket. Sometimes it wont even start at all. I tried using my PTO or the knob you twist and pull up and push down by the driver side seat but never figured how to make it work so I guess thats broke too. I changed the fuel pump and it didn't help. I took the wire off going to the coil and held it up to the frame and cranked it over and there was no spark. Should there have been a spark doing that? I tested one of the wires going to one of the plugs and it lit me up so i know I got fire there. Any idea to help me out. I use this truck daily and really feeling the pinch. No one in my area works on this from what I can find out. Quick response would be great guys. Thanks in advance.

LOL. read my thread on the Kubota. How the F do you not know how to engage the PTO? Prepare to get flamed, and god bless you if treeman####head sees this thread. I suggest erasing it now

The pto is an easy answer. I was shown how to use the pony motor and never the pto. I should have asked but didn't. I was under the impression from this site that other professionals would like to help new guys getting started. This is a legit question and if any one wants to help it would be appreciated. Thanks again.

The pto is an easy answer. I was shown how to use the pony motor and never the pto. I should have asked but didn't. I was under the impression from this site that other professionals would like to help new guys getting started. This is a legit question and if any one wants to help it would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Good point.
1. Start main motor
2. Push in clutch
3. Pull out PTO engage knob fully extended
4. Let clutch out slowly
5. Set throttle screw to desired RPM
6. Drop rigs
7. Switch over to lift.
8. Release storage strap on boom.
9. Jump in bucket.

Have you done the basic plugs,wires,cap,rotor,set timing and replace fuel filter and air filter?

Latest posts

Back