Laceleaf Shrubbery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good laceleafed shrub that has quick growth? Looking to plant a screen to hide the neighbor's dogs and I want it to be quick growth which would preclude the laceleaf maple.

Sambucus nigra 'Laciniata' - Fern-leafed Elder.
Sambucus nigra 'Gerda' a.k.a. Black Lace
or for a smaller but hardier yet similar plant look at the American version, Sambucus canadensis - American Elderberry, various varieties and/or cultivars

Maybe Rhamnus frangula 'Asplenifolia' - Commonly offered by specialty nurseries, this plant features narrow foliage with a wavy margin. It grows to 12' tall and 10' wide and has an overall ferny texture. It should be used cautiously, as it spreads unchecked by seed into unmanaged areas in some regions.

Brian, whatever you buy, get some of this stuff. It will grow much faster and healthier. It's not expensive, either. I've been amazed at how this stuff performs. I don't sell it, BTW.

Another Miracle???

BlueRidgeMark said:
Brian, whatever you buy, get some of this stuff. It will grow much faster and healthier. It's not expensive, either. I've been amazed at how this stuff performs. I don't sell it, BTW.

It's a miracle??? Hemp growers seem to like it. Hemp has somewhat lacy, palmate leaves.
I'm skeptical of this product as I can't seem to find a decent label for it. It is a fertilizer and all fertilizers should have a complete and comprehensive label. Since I could not find a comprehensive label it leads me to believe that it may be high priced "snake oil".
If anyone want's to send me a sample of it, I will gladly try it and report back on it's effectiveness. heh heh

I've used it for years. I'm sold.

I tried a test with it once. I had planted a wax-leaf privet hedge, and sprayed half of it with the Spray-N-Grow, and left the other alone. I applied it a couple of times, IIRC, or maybe 3 at most.

The next spring I was looking out at my hedge wondering what on earth was going on. Half of it was a good foot and a half taller than the other, and fuller and obviously more healthy. I couldn't figure it out..... Then I remembered my test of the previous summer.

Suit yourself.

"Laceleaf" and "screen" seem contradictory. Broadleafed plants are for screen, laceleaf for, well, laciness.

Back