Lack of Power with Stihl MS200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug in SW IA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought this saw new and have put quite a few hours on it. Last year I started noticing a lack of power. I have had it to my local repair guy and it still isn't quite right. Compression is good. The carb has been replaced this spring. The first time out after the carb replacement it seemed pretty close to normal. It just doesn't seem like it is coming up to full speed. Sometimes I can nurse it up to speed by tweaking the throttle. I am going to try to play with the mixture screw today. I have quite a bit of smaller wood to cut so I can make fine adjustments and see if I can find the sweet spot. Any thoughts? The spark arrester screen has been removed. I am using fresh non-ethanal gas and Stihl synthetic oil.

Doug in SW IA

The shop I took it to said the compression was good. I did put the jets back to factory settings and it didn't help. I had it warmed up and tried tweaking the high speed jet and couldn't see any real improvement. I looked in the tank and it is clean. I pulled the filter up and it also is clean. The venting on the tank seems to be okay. Maybe I will try the fuel filter. It just doesn't seem to come up to speed. When I am able to get it up to speed it bogs down real quick in the cut.

Doug in SW IA

How about the muffler, is it clean? I mean is there some carbon build up, that could limit the exhaust air flow?

The shop I took it to said the compression was good. I did put the jets back to factory settings and it didn't help. I had it warmed up and tried tweaking the high speed jet and couldn't see any real improvement. I looked in the tank and it is clean. I pulled the filter up and it also is clean. The venting on the tank seems to be okay. Maybe I will try the fuel filter. It just doesn't seem to come up to speed. When I am able to get it up to speed it bogs down real quick in the cut.

Doug in SW IA
OEM carb?

I had a saw go on like this a while...the port was obstructed with a wall of carbon. It looked normal at a glance but i soaked it in seafoam and carefully picked at it...uncovered about half the port...ran great.

Prior to...the H needle seemed unresponsive

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I hope for once you are wrong Lone Wolf, but I will let you know what I find out. I really like this saw and hope this isn't the death knell for it.

Doug in SW IA

Had a Craftsman 42cc do that very thing...I rebuilt the Zama carb, the strainer screen was plugged (look through it at a clear blue sky) used brake cleaner spray ..and I removed both H /L needles...the High circuit was partially clogged (sprayed down H thread hole brake cleaner from a fresh can)...now idles and high throttles...good luck!....just as a extra step I used my ultrasonic cleaner too..:)

I took my saw in to a different saw shop. I wanted to get a fresh set of eyes on it. After a long wait I finally got it back yesterday. They started by replacing the filter and an oil line. Apparently, that didn't fix it. They then replace the carburetor. They said they ran it and it is fine now. I am going to try to give it a work out today to see. So maybe it was a defective carburetor or there was crud in my tank that plugged up brand new carb. I will let you know when I get a tank or two run through it.

Doug in SW IA

I took my saw in to a different saw shop. I wanted to get a fresh set of eyes on it. After a long wait I finally got it back yesterday. They started by replacing the filter and an oil line. Apparently, that didn't fix it. They then replace the carburetor. They said they ran it and it is fine now. I am going to try to give it a work out today to see. So maybe it was a defective carburetor or there was crud in my tank that plugged up brand new carb. I will let you know when I get a tank or two run through it.

Doug in SW IA
Well if you need it fixed right PM me.

Tried the saw out today, same symptoms. Took it back to the shop, not a happy camper. You called it lone wolf, scored piston. Wish you were closer I would bring it to you. I think I was most upset that I was assured they fully checked it out. When I took it in today they tried to tweak the carb, but when I insisted we try it out on a log they were both pretty embarrassed. The service manger says he will work with me on the pricing. I will just be glad to get my saw back.

Doug in SW IA

Tried the saw out today, same symptoms. Took it back to the shop, not a happy camper. You called it lone wolf, scored piston. Wish you were closer I would bring it to you. I think I was most upset that I was assured they fully checked it out. When I took it in today they tried to tweak the carb, but when I insisted we try it out on a log they were both pretty embarrassed. The service manger says he will work with me on the pricing. I will just be glad to get my saw back.

Doug in SW IA
Send it ,shipping is usually is 25.oo. That dealer will kill you.

that really stinks Doug, hope you get it taken care of. Hoping just a piston/ring replacement and cylinder cleanup. But you have to figure out why the jug got scored in the first place - air leak, likely...

Latest posts

Back