ladders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know that several people on here use ladders whenever possible. Well I am sure that many of you guys, if not all have seen the advertisements for the "Little Giant" ladder system and that type of thing. I've seen the infomercials before and thought it was all a crock, that those things couldn't possibly be any good. Well one day I borrowed a friend's Gorilla ladder and I was just blown away. It was pretty darn stable with nobody holding it at the bottom, and it would make just about any configuration I needed. The really nice thing about it was that it's so small when collapsed.

Do any of you guys use them for day to day operations? What are your opinions on them?

*I am not trying to make a sales pitch or anything like that.

Yeah I need one to get onto a roof every now and then but as far as using them for trees ... forget it, give me my ropes anyday.

Oh, I suppose they would be handy for doing hedges etc.

I just think they are too heavy, but they are good ladders. I mostly use either an 14' orchard ladder (aluminum, 35 lbs.) or a 12 ft. single section straight ladder to get on roofs or the first 10 ft. of a tree. That will usually get me to the first crotch. After that, climbing is easy.

40' ladder act

i think that ladders over 30' should be outlawed from tree work. i feel like i need to have 911 on stand by when I'm doing estimates and some homeowner is in a tree with a 40' ladder they borrowed and they are cutting an eight inch branch. i once showed up for an estimate where the home owner was in casts and crutches from trying the 40' ladder act.

treesurgeon said:
i think that ladders over 30' should be outlawed from tree work. i feel like i need to have 911 on stand by when I'm doing estimates and some homeowner is in a tree with a 40' ladder they borrowed and they are cutting an eight inch branch. i once showed up for an estimate where the home owner was in casts and crutches from trying the 40' ladder act.

America's funiest home videos ran a bunch of clips last night of people doing "funny" things on ladders. 4 or 5 of them w/ people cutting large limbs from a ladder and being swept off or smashed into oblivion. Even my 9 year old didn't think it was "funny".

Newfie said:
America's funiest home videos ran a bunch of clips last night of people doing "funny" things on ladders. 4 or 5 of them w/ people cutting large limbs from a ladder and being swept off or smashed into oblivion. Even my 9 year old didn't think it was "funny".

Free advertising to call a professional!

treesurgeon said:

Outlawing 40' ladders would not make the homeowner any safer, they don't tie in. It's not the ladder, even if the ladder were only 10', they are not tied in. They don't even tie the ladder in incase it gets hit by the limb swinging by. It's not the ladder's fault, 10' or 40' ladder, dollars to donuts my bet is the homeowner is/was not tied in and neither was his ladder. I've cleaned up after a lot of homeowners. Their mistake was not tying in.

I bought a Little Giant cuz I thought it'd fit in my van but it doesn't. Might take it back. It is heavy.

I use a 32' er when climbing; envious of 40' owners; it's that far and way more to the first branch sometimes. Ladders are very safe and very fast way into tree if used properly.

I've used the "LIttle Giant" on tree jobs. I don't own one but I would like to. They are nice for prune jobs and can get anywhere really. They are a bit pricey i must say but I think you get your money out of them.

I own a Little Giant -- great ladder but VERY HEAVY. It will do a number of things that a normal step or extension ladder will not, but I only get it out when I really need it because of the weight.

I find it is great for homeowner/building work, but seldom useful for tree work.

Joe

Wonder if I could bark that squirrel?-Kinda big, Maybe I should bust him with a blunt arrow or just go for a head shot? :p

fwf
Are you crazy that ladder is light. You compare it to and extension ladder of that size and then you'll find a difference. And if you don't find it lighter then.
Start:
0-|---|-0
\O/
|
/ \
Sry he got screwed up!

Why do you need a ladder to get into a tree, guys here are always saying how much faster they can climb w/out spurs and calling me a hack. Whatever, try carrying a ladder 1/2 a mile through the bush uphill to trees on the r.o.w. along with your climbing gear and saw. Probably even my buddy Treeseer would want to trade his ladder for spurs after that. But aside from that, thanks a lot guys for explaining before how dangerous it is to use a chainsaw from a ladder. I never really thought about that but it is good advice.

huskycandoit said:
fwf
Are you crazy that ladder is light. You compare it to and extension ladder of that size and then you'll find a difference. And if you don't find it lighter then.
Start:
0-|---|-0
\O/
|
/ \
Sry he got screwed up!

I have no idea what your gibberish means or what brands/models of ladders you're talking about but my Little Giant weighs twice as much as my 20' extension ladder.

I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!

Joe

I highjacked this pic off the other thread
helps the discussion

attachment_22468.php

If this is a pruning job, typical situation where I would use a ladder to reach that first crotch. Buck in when I reach that point and then set my climbing rope higher, go from there

Dont own a Big Shot, been wanting to get one when I have the extra money
I'll go in cycles, use the ladder for a while till I get tired of it, then toss a rope and hip thrust or use my ascenders (used them alot back in my rock climbing/rappeling days, just haven't liked them for tree work Ladder seems so much easier, as long as the trucks right there)

treeman82 said:
Do any of you guys use them for day to day operations? What are your opinions on them?

If someones willing to go get it off the truck and set it up, fine. Otherwise, I'll just throw my rope and get in the tree. Ladders are good for getting on a roof, or disconnecting cable/telephone lines. ;)

MasterBlaster said:
If someones willing to go get it off the truck and set it up, fine. Otherwise, I'll just throw my rope and get in the tree. Ladders are good for getting on a roof, or disconnecting cable/telephone lines. ;)

Agreed MB,

That pic of the weekend warrior out on the limb with a saw is so typical of a do it yourselfer.

Makes you wonder how many of these ladder chainsaw accidents that end up in the hospital ER fall into statistics for chainsaw accidents that the insurance companies use to determine the rates we pay.

Larry

yep, and since this is America, I'll defend their right to be as stupid as they want to be
someone's got to do it to prove Darwin correct

seems the second favorite pastime on this site is making fun of/beating up the homeowner if'n they dont want to pay us

Back