Lady on ebay selling hundreds of chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When people have junk, that’s blatantly overpriced and it sits and sits you have to wonder the motive. If they are a business who makes $$$ to sell things for other people they do not make a dime until they MAKE THE SALE...holding onto junk for months and months and also having to store said junk isn’t a wise financial decision. Perhaps a front for a different “sort” of business.....

I’ve seen it with before....”traveling salesman” running MJ from a weed friendly state under the guise of two separate sales jobs.

I collect more modern Lionel trains, and we would see similar both at swap meets and ebay, some of the over priced stuff was the guy trying to tell his wife he was selling them, but he had stuff priced that it would never move. A lot of the over priced post war stuff was because some guys wouldn't accept that the bubble burst on those things in the 1990's-2000's

There were a couple ebay sellers, one in particular, that many suspected he was laundering money through. He would find buyers for current items, at well above MSRP, and he did it consistently, not just the occasional buyer that didn't know what he was buying, a good analogy would be selling 3 Husky 435's with IIRC a $199 MSRP and get $250, $310, and $485, plus $40 shipping, and do it with multiple items every week. Back before ebay hid bidders identities you would see that he had 5 or 6 consistent bidders on each of his auctions, Pretty blatant, but he was eventually pulled, I have no idea if any legal charges were ever pressed, but definitely some shady stuff was going on.

Doug :cheers:

I collect more modern Lionel trains, and we would see similar both at swap meets and ebay, some of the over priced stuff was the guy trying to tell his wife he was selling them, but he had stuff priced that it would never move. A lot of the over priced post war stuff was because some guys wouldn't accept that the bubble burst on those things in the 1990's-2000's

There were a couple ebay sellers, one in particular, that many suspected he was laundering money through. He would find buyers for current items, at well above MSRP, and he did it consistently, not just the occasional buyer that didn't know what he was buying, a good analogy would be selling 3 Husky 435's with IIRC a $199 MSRP and get $250, $310, and $485, plus $40 shipping, and do it with multiple items every week. Back before ebay hid bidders identities you would see that he had 5 or 6 consistent bidders on each of his auctions, Pretty blatant, but he was eventually pulled, I have no idea if any legal charges were ever pressed, but definitely some shady stuff was going on.

Yup that’s obvious if people are paying more than list!!!

You have to wonder how many restaurants are washing funds too....a few of these places never have customers and if you try them the food and service is terrible. Yet they’ve been in business for years and the owner lives very well.

The traveling “salesman” I came across would sell good stuff for less than it’s worth and extend handshake credit to people he’d never met. I bet his cash intake for the week didn’t even cover his gas and hotel.

Have to admit I've made it to intrigued. Guess I'm just out of touch.Could one of y'all offer an explanation for how these scams work? Appears I've led a sheltered life!;)

You have to wonder how many restaurants are washing funds too....a few of these places never have customers and if you try them the food and service is terrible. Yet they’ve been in business for years and the owner lives very well.

There's quite a few of those businesses here. They launder marijuana money. Even though marijuana was legalized here, it's a primarily cash business and most banks won't touch the money.

A buddy of mine was selling his farm here a couple years ago and it was expected to sell for around $675k. He got several $700k cash offers from growers. He declined though because he wasn't
going to be able to do much with the cash.

Have to admit I've made it to intrigued. Guess I'm just out of touch.Could one of y'all offer an explanation for how these scams work? Appears I've led a sheltered life!;)

Well with the ebay seller that I watched, he would have say a Lionel 0-6-0T tank switch engine, one I was very familiar with, a Current Catalog item with an MSRP of $109.99, this seller would have 3 of them listed at the same time, and get final bids of $158.xx, $210.xx and I remember one was $301.xx, and shipping on each was $15.00. This was a Current item that you could walk into many Train Shops and buy it right off the shelf for $109.99, many shops would sell at $99.99, and I have seen them mail order for $89.99

ebay started hiding bidders identities, but before that, this seller would have 5-6 regular bidders on all his auctions, there would be random bidders as well, but strangely almost all his auctions were "Won" by the same bidders, It is doubtful that he ever had 3 of that locomotive, there is little doubt that he had the items though as his signature, was all his items were photographed sitting on his deck railing, which led many members to joke that they need to photo their items on their deck railings, as it seems to really run up those final bid prices.

It is a pretty certain bet that he never really sold any of those items, and without tracking how he acquired those items, namely showing that he was just reselling the same item repeatedly.
By selling that same item $109 item 3 times that seller took in $714 with shipping, he not not have even shipped anything, or he may have shipped a brick in a box, to generate a tracking#.

That seller had many listings going at any given time, so he was potentially moving a LOT of money.

In the Model Railroad world there are collectors that would put all but the EXTREME Worst cases of CAD to Shame (Guilty as Charged), I couldn't even guess just how many locomotives I have in several different Scales/Gauges between 100-200 is the best I can say, I have been collecting since I was a kid(54 now), the above mentioned 0-6-0T I have probably 2 or 3 in Union Pacific, the main RR I model/collect, plus Southern Pacific, Weyerhaeuser Timber (I Love the Logging Roads) and a couple others, I have several High End JLC and Vision Line Steam locomotives 8-10, that would be in the price range of a 395XP to a 3120XP.

There are a Few out of production models that will increase in value, the little "Halloween General" a small 4-4-0 steam engine in Halloween decor, has recently declined, but for a long time, examples in good condition commanded prices way out of line with what it is, that had an MSRP of $104.99, but I would see legitimate sale prices of $150 to as much as $275

So it is Possible to see large collections with duplicate items, and some times see inexplicable prices, but for a single seller to have those, and see those prices week in and week out, is Highly suspicious.

If you marvel at some of the cases of CAD you see here, take a tour through the Model Railroad world, you ain't seen nothin yet ;)

Well with the ebay seller that I watched, he would have say a Lionel 0-6-0T tank switch engine, one I was very familiar with, a Current Catalog item with an MSRP of $109.99, this seller would have 3 of them listed at the same time, and get final bids of $158.xx, $210.xx and I remember one was $301.xx, and shipping on each was $15.00. This was a Current item that you could walk into many Train Shops and buy it right off the shelf for $109.99, many shops would sell at $99.99, and I have seen them mail order for $89.99

ebay started hiding bidders identities, but before that, this seller would have 5-6 regular bidders on all his auctions, there would be random bidders as well, but strangely almost all his auctions were "Won" by the same bidders, It is doubtful that he ever had 3 of that locomotive, there is little doubt that he had the items though as his signature, was all his items were photographed sitting on his deck railing, which led many members to joke that they need to photo their items on their deck railings, as it seems to really run up those final bid prices.

It is a pretty certain bet that he never really sold any of those items, and without tracking how he acquired those items, namely showing that he was just reselling the same item repeatedly.
By selling that same item $109 item 3 times that seller took in $714 with shipping, he not not have even shipped anything, or he may have shipped a brick in a box, to generate a tracking#.

That seller had many listings going at any given time, so he was potentially moving a LOT of money.

In the Model Railroad world there are collectors that would put all but the EXTREME Worst cases of CAD to Shame (Guilty as Charged), I couldn't even guess just how many locomotives I have in several different Scales/Gauges between 100-200 is the best I can say, I have been collecting since I was a kid(54 now), the above mentioned 0-6-0T I have probably 2 or 3 in Union Pacific, the main RR I model/collect, plus Southern Pacific, Weyerhaeuser Timber (I Love the Logging Roads) and a couple others, I have several High End JLC and Vision Line Steam locomotives 8-10, that would be in the price range of a 395XP to a 3120XP.

There are a Few out of production models that will increase in value, the little "Halloween General" a small 4-4-0 steam engine in Halloween decor, has recently declined, but for a long time, examples in good condition commanded prices way out of line with what it is, that had an MSRP of $104.99, but I would see legitimate sale prices of $150 to as much as $275

So it is Possible to see large collections with duplicate items, and some times see inexplicable prices, but for a single seller to have those, and see those prices week in and week out, is Highly suspicious.

If you marvel at some of the cases of CAD you see here, take a tour through the Model Railroad world, you ain't seen nothin yet ;)

Yeah, last year I had 1 O-gauge steamer, the 2-4-2 from my childhood. Now I have 2 more steamers (used), and an FM trainmaster (new), all MTH PS2 or PS3. As for that old steamer, I put a BlueRail board in it.

My rolling stock inventory has also grown. Damn you Menards! :angry:

In my younger days I cleaned cars, I had the big mafia guys car to clean. I just did my job. Big Lincoln, big tipper. He had businesses too. One guy crossed someone and could put his shoes on his knee caps, not good.

In my younger days I cleaned cars, I had the big mafia guys car to clean. I just did my job. Big Lincoln, big tipper. He had businesses too. One guy crossed someone and could put his shoes on his knee caps, not good.
My in-laws father bought a lot of used/crashed/junked cars in the 70's and 80's. He said he found a lot of interesting stuff and dumped out a lot of weed and also some white powdery stuff.

Someone bid $99.99 on her 480 husky. I need to put some non runners on sleezebay.?

I offered her on it she refused. I have a box of 380/480 saws to fix it. Oh well wasnt meant to be why do I bother. I won’t offer her on anything.

Funny story relating to this...the guy running one of the food trucks in the area has set up along the highway because all of the festivals were shut down.

He drives a Land Rover and his wife has an Audi. Business is good but not that good LOL.

Back