Lake effect snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much snow in Cobleskill

A bit here and there, never more then an inch in the night. Wish we could get some real accumulation. I heard up in Redfield they got 63 inches in 3 days. A little bit ridiculous I must say.

i am dying!!!! I wish they would send it this way. Im losing money

I wish they would send it this way.

So do I! Pretty sick of it. Desperately want the notion of "lake effect snow" to be far out my back window.

By the way, what a cruel trick Mother Nature has played on us all by making H2O go crystalline at temperatures we normally encounter. Cold rain wouldn't be all that nice either, but it wouldn't need to be shoveled, and it wouldn't cause so many accidents.

That sux. i cant even imagine. :dizzy:

My kids said theyd like that much but im sure they would change thier tune pretty quick.

I'm always glad to see somone else getting the snow,it has been slow here this yr only a couple feet on the ground,but with winter beeing only half over around here im sure there more to come the big lake (superior) is just across the road and the ice is as far out as one can see, our normal here for the year is a couple hundred inches but iv seen almost 400 in a winter im not even sure if we hit 100 this yr yet
HAPPY SHOVELING AND SCOOPING NEW YORK

from the Mitten,

Been a bit of lake effect in MI too though not like NY.
Too cold to be much effect on the trees though or I'd be back on 16hr/day again.
Getting tired of the cold
getting less bold
Maby I'm getting old
thats what I'm told
Not time yet to fold
each year has its gold.

I spent alot of years pulling loads out of Adams, NY, on I-81, just north of Pulaski. Sometimes I'd wake up in the morning and the snow would be up to the top tank step on the tractor. They have the equipment and do a good job of keeping the road open but there were times that I'd wished I'd stayed in college and become an accountant.
Phil

Last edited:
2hrs from Syracuse and we haven't seen anything over two inches at a time. amounting to less than a foot all year. But I've seen some significant snow fall in march. Winters only half over no matter what Phil said.

I spent alot of years pulling loads out of Adams, NY, on I-81, just north of Pulaski. Sometimes I'd wake up in the morning and the snow would be up to the top tank step on the tractor. They have the equipment and do a good job of keeping the road open but there were times that I'd wished I'd stayed in college and become an accountant.
Phil

Heard that. When I was a "bedbug" out of Syracuse hauling furniture & bedding, on Tuesdays I had the north country run. This old codger in Lowville invariably would order a night stand or a bedding set, which meant every week I had to run Rt. 177 from Adams Center to Lowville right through Barnes Corners, notoriously known as the epicenter of the snow belt. Punishing run, and with a single-axle day cab, and a light trailer. That old fossil would just grin at me when I showed up at his little store in a raging blizzard, but like the mailman, I always got his $30 nightstand delivered! :)

That must have been loads of fun. I'd cut up that way sometimes when I was coming off the east coast. I can remember a big sweeping curve coming out of Lowville where the blowers had come through and the snow was higher than the trailer. I don't miss those days. When we were loaded we were heavy so traction wasn't a problem so as long as we could see we could motor right along. I'd usually drive faster than was reasonable only to have some crazy Canadian fly by me. Those boys can drive in the snow.
Phil

I'd usually drive faster than was reasonable only to have some crazy Canadian fly by me. Those boys can drive in the snow.
Phil

Yup, they pick up pieces of 'em everyday here that "think they can drive in snow". Trooper I know recently pegged a Canadian tour bus(GreyHound class) doing 115mph in snowy conditions with full load of passengers. Yup, they can drive in snow, but sure don't want to ride with 'em or be anywhere near 'em on the road. Speed does not equate with driving skill. Both fatal accidents at Rt87's Border Patrol check point were caused by Canadiene drivers.(Tour bus vs. 18 Wlr & 18Wlr running over top of four cars):blob2: Both instances were fully loaded vehicles at speed vs. non-moving, undefensible vehicles in broad daylight, clear blue bird days, dry pavement, with TWO MILES of warning signage, warning lights and audible signals (neither were snow related). The quote from the trucker after running over two cars, a PU and an RV was "I don't remember seeing them". I find North Country drivers respect their fellow drivers on the road far more than our Canadiene visitors.:bang:

My graph leave in the area getting all that snow.. But he smart he goes down to Fl for the winters. There no way I would even want that much snow except when I go snowboarding.

Snow

:dizzy: In a little berg called Redford (I think that's right) NY, they've gotten 11'7" out of the lake affect and are supposed to get another 20-28" in the last few days here. I live in Syracuse and we've got a fair amount (for a guy raised in SE Michigan), but that is crazy. Thay've had to call out the National Guard to help remove the 20-25 foot snow banks on the road side. I have friends that live in the southern edge of the heavy snow fall and they say that they have snow half way up their first story windows... Snows fun, but that much is a little overboard:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back