Lake effect snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow

:dizzy: In a little berg called Redford (I think that's right) NY, they've gotten 11'7" out of the lake affect and are supposed to get another 20-28" in the last few days here. I live in Syracuse and we've got a fair amount (for a guy raised in SE Michigan), but that is crazy. Thay've had to call out the National Guard to help remove the 20-25 foot snow banks on the road side. I have friends that live in the southern edge of the heavy snow fall and they say that they have snow half way up their first story windows... Snows fun, but that much is a little overboard:dizzy:

Snow? whats that? :confused: we been working outside in our t-shirts, sweating hard in the sun.

:cheers:

Yup, they pick up pieces of 'em everyday here that "think they can drive in snow". Trooper I know recently pegged a Canadian tour bus(GreyHound class) doing 115mph in snowy conditions with full load of passengers. Yup, they can drive in snow, but sure don't want to ride with 'em or be anywhere near 'em on the road. Speed does not equate with driving skill. Both fatal accidents at Rt87's Border Patrol check point were caused by Canadiene drivers.(Tour bus vs. 18 Wlr & 18Wlr running over top of four cars):blob2: Both instances were fully loaded vehicles at speed vs. non-moving, undefensible vehicles in broad daylight, clear blue bird days, dry pavement, with TWO MILES of warning signage, warning lights and audible signals (neither were snow related). The quote from the trucker after running over two cars, a PU and an RV was "I don't remember seeing them". I find North Country drivers respect their fellow drivers on the road far more than our Canadiene visitors.:bang:

they were tour bus drivers, nuff said. :D

Just where exactly does one put 100" of snow when it is shoveled out of the way?

I know you need to plow really wide initially, or you'll eventually get buried. don't know how you would keep up with those massive snows in NY though.

Would that have been for the furnature company owned by the Bright family?

No, but I did work for a company (AAK) that moved furniture for Dunk & Bright (house deliveries in a straight truck). Pat Bright is the owner, and a good person to work for.

I was referring to when I hauled for Penfield Manufacturing in Syracuse, which just recently went out of business. They manufactured the Ther-a-pedic brand bedding, and also sold furniture.

No, but I did work for a company (AAK) that moved furniture for Dunk & Bright (house deliveries in a straight truck). Pat Bright is the owner, and a good person to work for.

I asked because I knew Pat's daughter when I went to college in Florida. :) The apple does not fall far from the tree, and she was a real nice gal as well.

man i loved those pictures. people spaz out w the 5 inches we got here. we did get slammed w a nice ice storm over the last week. can t feel too sorry for the silv maples, ch elms, white pines when they hand you all these bucks in the slow season. i lived in a little town near buffalo called wyoming ny when i was a kid (odd that i live in wyoming ohio now). anyway nobody believes me when i tell them i d hardly get any presents on my feb birthday bcs snow was over the front door let alone get a car out of the driveway. thought it was one of those oldschool storries "yea we had to walk ten miles to school in the cold and we got frostbite and we just crawled on our bellies". we d get a snow day and we d be busting out the door while mom s trying to stuff food in our mouths. we d run a few toboggin runs down a steep long hill across from the school (grades k thru 12 in a single structure bldg smaller than most small high schools). we d hit it for the hole day. once the tobaggens flattened the snow the flexible fliers would really fly and take jumps. wonder if my kid in that era, if they had them , would opt for staring at this stupid little box killing monsters w his fingers.

Back