Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 5/8" X 1/2" solid steel spacer worked great. The screen fit like a glove. In my experience there was no need for anything thinner then about .0625 wall. However maybe it's YMMV depending on actual screen tolerances.

My 5/8" X 1/2" solid steel spacer worked great. The screen fit like a glove. In my experience there was no need for anything thinner then about .0625 wall. However maybe it's YMMV depending on actual screen tolerances.

Interesting... I never had any luck with 1/16 wall pipe fitting the screens. I even tried hammering some on... sure would make it easier ... Maybe I should check some more screens...

Buy your screen first, then head to the HW store and try one!

Last edited:
I think I'll just order the tubing. I had a really nice MAPP torch but the thing overheats. I guess the orifice is stopped up and a new one costs almost as much as a cheaper MAPP torch... What brazing rod will work best with the MAPP? I read all the related posts but don't remember seeing this info?

I can get a foot of that tubing for $1.70 from Online Metals here:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=15520&step=4&showunits=inches&id=283&top_cat=197

But, I'd much rather get a spacer from the local hardware store if it will work just as good without any sizing! I guess sizing it a bit wouldn't be a big deal though.

If you get a spacer make sure it's solid vs. seamed unless you want to braze the seam. The Ace H/W I shop at had both. In the solid they had 1" and 1-1/2" lengths. I bought one of each but found the 1" a tad too short. I used the 1-1/2" but cut it to 1-1/4" and stuck it in about 1/4" on the short end.

My brazing skills suck so I didn't want to be brazing the very end of the tube.

Last edited:
Yeah... I forgot about that! I have a really good hardware dealer that has almost anything in a fastener you could need! Anybody know anything about MAPP torches overheating on the tip of the tube?

Yeah... I forgot about that! I have a really good hardware dealer that has almost anything in a fastener you could need! Anybody know anything about MAPP torches overheating on the tip of the tube?

Happens all the time when I use my propane torches on Mapp:hmm3grin2orange:

Anyone know how much a 361 muffler costs new?

I bought a used one, ebay $15, used it to mod and put the new
one up for safe keeping.

No screen though.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's another option I stumbled onto:

attachment.php

Husqvarna used bolt on muffler outlets on 281's and they're available for <$20 w/screen. I have one on order for my 7900 but it might also fit 361 along with other saws.

Last edited:
You can also get a very cool looking BR600 outlet (Square tube), but... all these suffer from the problem of a low spark arrester area to outlet.. Prone to debis accumulation affecting performance. Also, I'd want to thicken up the metal behind the screws - the muffler metal is very thin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back