Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried this with a new MS362, or if it's even possibile?

I don't have a clue as to what emissions restrictions they have on the 362 muffler, but supposedly, there are more than the 361s.

Thanks,

Richard

Poulan 4620 AVX

I did a muffler mod to a Poulan 4620. I forgot to take pictures during the mod...doooh. Anyway I uncrimped the muffler using a screw driver to lift the edge around it. Rather then pulling the baffel I made it into Swiss cheese. I made a plate and used the original screws to eliminate the rear discharge.

After a quick scrounge through the parts bucket i found a steel pipe that looked like it would do the job. I drilled out two 7/16th holes and brassed the Bologna cut pipes on to the muffler can.

I recrimped the muffler case and sprayed it with black stove paint. After an adjustment to the carb I cut some wood with it. The saw really seems like a new saw except I really need to dump that POS safety chain!!! As far as sound this saw now sounds like a chainsaw should.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have just bought a Dremel 300. What attachment do I need to rip open the muffler on my Husky 44

MS 270 Muffler Mod

Hey Guys
First post on this site been pretty interested in the mod threads some great info here. I was able to mod my ms270 by enlarging the existing port so the factory spark arrestor can still be used. I also was able to get the slant pipe welded on with an ac welder using 6013 rod running it at 50 to 55 amps. I do need to clean up the weld a little and paint it. I have two questions.
1. which high temp paint? the bake on or just spray on?
2. i'm still a little confused on the limiter caps for re-adjustment they seem to come out just a little bit i don't want to break anything.
Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance.

I will post pics in the next day or two.

I've just finished reading this whole thread in one sitting, and now my mind in numb and my eyeballs are slushy.

At the beginning of this thread, it mentions the modified hole should be 80-85% of your exhaust port size.

But how does the current muffler hole size fit into the equation if you’re drilling new holes, as opposed to opening up your current sized blowhole?

‘fer instance:

Does ‘X’ (current size) + ‘Y’ (new hole size) = 80-85% of exhaust port.

Or

Simply make ‘Y’ (new hole size) = 80-85% of exhaust port.

Or did I just miss that part somewhere... in the backwoods of me skull.

Cheers!

The total outlet size (new and old hole) should be 80-85% of the exhaust port outlet.

I hacked a couple this weekend..it was windy and rainy out. The first was a bent up and broken Muffler from a Jonsereds 820. I had to split it and fill in holes & removed the baffles. Did these with brazing rod. Curious if it will stand up. The second is a spare muffler I had for my 455 Husqvarna....I haven't run the 455 yet but the 820 really perked up with its new old muffler!

Jonsereds 820:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Husqvarna 455 Rancher:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Think this will work? One thing of interest is the cross sectional area of the 455's exhaust was about the same as the much larger 820! Thats why I used the same diameter exit pipe. Wonder if the X-torq design is part of the reason why the Husky's is so large.

Last edited:
Will I gain power with these saws?

Very impressive gentlemen! I have been itching to try a muffler mod for a while now. Now that I have read this thread I think I am ready to play. I have some saws to experiment on.
All this epa stuff does have me a bit confused. I have a husqvarna 353 that is an etech model, (I don't know what that means) would I gain anything from modifying this 353?
I also have a husqvarna 36, 51, and a 357xp. Which one would I gain the most out of? I am ready to take this head on and just want to make sure that the model I'm working on is worth working on.
I just want to say thank you in advanced for your expertise. It has been very educational reading this thread. Keep Modding!

I personally can't speak for any of the saws listed other than the 36. I had one of the muffler bolts fall out of my 36. On the 36 that in effect made an extra exhaust port. I noticed right away that it woke the saw up. The down side of this, is that with that saw, a lose muffler caused exhaust gas to melt through the oil tank. So that was of course bad, but just that little extra hole made a pretty big difference. Now that the saw has been repaired, I plan on adding an extra port to get the extra power back.

Adam A..thanks for the info. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. That was the one that I wanted to experiment with first because it is my smaller saw. Did you have to adjust the the h or l on the saw? Thanks again!

Adam A..thanks for the info. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. That was the one that I wanted to experiment with first because it is my smaller saw. Did you have to adjust the the h or l on the saw? Thanks again!

Any saw that you mess with the exhaust or intake you will have to retune the carb. Truly not a big deal, no limiter caps on the 36 so it's easy, and it only takes small adjustments.

if i do this on my husqy's ill get someone that knows how to weld,but i would like to play around with a "powerhorse" from northern tool & equip. :) one is 40cc and the other is 50cc i think ,just bought em cause i wouldnt care what happened to them .....but they have NO power whatsoever its really sad seen electric chainsaws do better than these

Echo CS 400 Mid

I'm looking at a Echo CS 400. Has anyone done a muffler mod on one of these? Any info wood help. Thanks , Phil:greenchainsaw:

Back