Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Idea

A person could use 1/2" mpt to 5/8" compression if they wanted a bigger opening. Aerator fits better there too, though trimming's no big woop.

:cheers:

I'm working on a 460 right now, and am doing an NPT muffler mod, as opposed to getting the factory OEM "fire-safe" (read "pre-EPA style") muffler. Think I'll try that compression fitting with the screen. When it's done I'll post a pic or two and let you know how it turns out. I'm planning to use a steel NPT for the piece that joins the muffler and oxy-MAPP braze it in place. We'll see how it comes out.

345 Muf mod

I just finished my first ever muff job on my 345.

Thanks go out to Diesel Pro, Lil Possum and Brad Snelling for their excellent help, not to mention the stickys that get a fellow going in the right direction.

I just have to re-tune the saw and this mission is accomplished.

I really hate that this saw didn't have the Husqvarna 7ga. heavy muffler option offered in the earlier years of its production.

I have loaded the pictures to my photobucket account.

http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/Plasmaguy_1964/Husky%20345%20Muffler%20Modification/
Later,

Tom

Last edited:
Here's my 345 muffler mod. I slit the deflector on the sides and folded it back to minimize the welding. I have a Miller 250X and had a bit of trial and error geting it turned down low enough with the .030? wire.

Finally got a good edge on the chain and got a chance to work it a bit today. Worked very nicely.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
QUOTE=windthrown;1371281]But but but... where can I get a drill bit to cut an oval? Madsons? Harbor Freight? Does Stihl make one? :greenchainsaw:[/QUOTE]

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::wave:[

036 pro mod

I recently mod the muffler and now I am getting sound like it is dry, no oil. The sound seems to be coming form the engine not bar. I did adjust the cab but not sure if it is right. Would to lean cause this? Any sugestions?

I recently mod the muffler and now I am getting sound like it is dry, no oil. The sound seems to be coming form the engine not bar. I did adjust the cab but not sure if it is right. Would to lean cause this? Any sugestions?

I'm not into the whole "muffler mod" thing cause it isnt actually going to help your saw in big wood (big wood for your saw) but since you modded it it will be running lean, you need to richen up the carb a bit.

I'm not into the whole "muffler mod" thing cause it isnt actually going to help your saw in big wood

wow, so everybody here thats done one (or a few) is just blowing smoke?

I'm not into the whole "muffler mod" thing cause it isnt actually going to help your saw in big wood (big wood for your saw) but since you modded it it will be running lean, you need to richen up the carb a bit.

So your 20" 3/8 equipped 026 does not have a muffler mod?

Muffler mod.&welding type.

With all the modifying here,can this be done with an AC welder? I assume that a wire feed or brazing is best?Can someone steer me where to study this more?Kind of like the muffler mod101?The saws run much better afterwards?I see that carbs need adjusting.I have an oxy/acetelene rig but have never brazed anything.Thanks for the tips.....

With all the modifying here,can this be done with an AC welder? I assume that a wire feed or brazing is best?Can someone steer me where to study this more?Kind of like the muffler mod101?The saws run much better afterwards?I see that carbs need adjusting.I have an oxy/acetelene rig but have never brazed anything.Thanks for the tips.....

Go to the sticky on the Lakeside53 mod to check out the basics. There are a lot of good photos also. About the AC welder, I can't help you, since I use only gas. Oxy-Acetylene is great, but you have to keep the temperature down and not use too intense a flame. The key in brazing is to have a low-velocity flame to heat the workpiece, then touch the rod, and the brass or nickel-silver flows in to the spaces between the pieces to be joined - just like soldering only higher temp. and much stronger. I like to use oxy-MAPP myself because there is no danger of burning through the relatively thin sheet metal of the muffler. The oxy-acetylene works well, but you have to use a light touch.

No matter what anybody says, muffler modding really increases the power. You can definitely feel it. You mod the muffler, then take the limiters off the carb, adjust to run richer, put the limiters back, and you're in business. I've modded some saws after 10 - 12 tanks, and some when brand new. No reason to wait. Just do it. You won't be sorry.

I have now modded all of mine and I have to say that to me, the most impressive is my little 260. It makes the 16-inch/.325 scream and the mod was super easy. I haven't pushed any of them too hard on the rpms, keeping them all tach tuned right around max suggested.

Been lurking here for a while and searched what seems like hundreds of posts but can't find info on muffler mod for ms441. Sorry if I missed something :monkey: but does anyone know a link to steps for the mod for this specific saw and carb adjustment that needs to be done after ?
Thanks

Been lurking here for a while and searched what seems like hundreds of posts but can't find info on muffler mod for ms441. Sorry if I missed something :monkey: but does anyone know a link to steps for the mod for this specific saw and carb adjustment that needs to be done after ?
Thanks

I did one for a buddy using the "lake style" 361 pipe mod. I've seen the 288xp deflector used also but thought it was too tight of a fit. Here is the link(also at the top) to Lake's mod. http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528

You can place the pipe in the same area as the 361.

Thanks

The first page of this thread has a post with a pic of one. Might get you started.

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about trying a space between ms and 441 or simply searching 441. I ordered the screen and tube today for the 441 and I'm going to mod the 260 tomorrow. I've used stockers all my life but after reading all the stuff on here I've gotta at least try the muffler mods. I have 4 little Poulan 2000 top handles I use alot . Bought them at yard sales here and there and might have about $50 in them all together. They're actually good little saws for what I paid for them. I got one for $5 still in the box.Think I'll see what a mod will do for one of them.:popcorn:

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about trying a space between ms and 441 or simply searching 441. I ordered the screen and tube today for the 441 and I'm going to mod the 260 tomorrow. I've used stockers all my life but after reading all the stuff on here I've gotta at least try the muffler mods. I have 4 little Poulan 2000 top handles I use alot . Bought them at yard sales here and there and might have about $50 in them all together. They're actually good little saws for what I paid for them. I got one for $5 still in the box.Think I'll see what a mod will do for one of them.:popcorn:

Posting pics is a good way to make friends, especially if it involves a saw I also own.:cheers:

Question

1. What do y'all think about threading the tip of the Lakerized muffler port so that it could be capped and re-tuned when a little less noise is better than a little more power?

2. Why not just go ahead an weld the new muffler port on instead of brazing? I know brazing is easier, but is there a reason that it shouldn't be welded?

Hi, I'm new to this site and been getting some great info. I'm trying to tune up and shake the cobwebs off of my Jonsered 2050 turbo. It's running OK and it has always been a good saw with good power and very quick acceleration for it's size (I didn't realize how good it is until I cut with my dad's cheapo depot box store saw - yuck).

So I put a new E3 plug in it and tweaked the carb just a bit and it's running pretty decent (needs a new chain too but that's a different story). I was interested in a muffler mod but didn't see anything on this specific saw. I don't have access to a welder and what little welding I've done is far from professional quality. So would I just be in over my head and better off leaving a decent running saw alone?

The saw was purchased new in 1995, is that pre EPA crapola?

Thanks!

Anyone have any prictures of a muffler mod to a Stihl ms210 or roughly the same muffler style? I'd like to gather some ideas.
Thanks,
Marty

you dont really have to add a port on that style muffler just open the existing one up a bit

Latest posts

Back