Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't fire it up till I get all my measurements taken and double check the opening to make sure I didnt go to much.

sorry took so long

Fired it up and it seems more lively, it has more jump in it when you gun it, and it sounds pretty nice, not too loud but it definately speaks to you. Not sure I'm gonna keep it this way as the heat sheild on the front now takes a direct hit and gets mighty warm, on the other hand it will keep your hands cozy in the cold! It sounds good and 4 strokes out on the top end. Still need to adjust the low end down a bit as the chain sporadically turns ( now and then..not constant ) and I need to get it into some wood.

How I did it:
I measured the exhaust port on the muffler..not the cylinder. The port on the muff is larger than the cylinder so I cut back my measurements in hopes of erroring on the small side. Then I measured the original muffler outlet ( not the hole but the deflector holes ) and the new opening and made sure to err on the large side, ie measure the longest point of the opening and the widest, despite the fact that my new hole wasn't even nor are the holes in the factory deflector. When I was done I was still below the 85% margin, enuff so that I could put a 1/4" square hole in the muffler and still be in the safe zone! And the best part is the looks! Guess you could call it a sleeper, better get the 62cc slug and jug and port it and leave all the badges on it, stating its a CS56 LOL
mufflerpics027.jpg

mufflerpics060.jpg

mufflerpics065.jpg

screen help i already modded mufflers thanks !!!!!!!!!

i have two 365 specials with dual pipe muffler mods on them i think they are similar to a walker style mod but have no screen on them. im a little worried about stuff entering the mufffler than getting into the cylinder when the saw is not in use i did not think about it until just lately but lets say i was using one and the other i happen to have just sit their whats to say i dont get some saw dust on it. anway can someone dirrect me on how to find a thread or source for the screen style i could install in the pipes with a clamp to hold it in. hey also just picked up a dolmar 5105 brand new i thought i was buying a 5100 but i dont think the dealer has any 5100 left. should i wait to mod the muffler on it until the warranty is up. it has a cat style muffler.

Last edited:
try McMaster.com for screen or maybe even Graingers.

I've never used the warranty on my saws, how long is the typical warranty and if you are just cutting wood how much will you really use it during the warranty period? If its a year warranty and your just cutting wood for yourself chances are good that during the warranty you will barely get it broke in real good. I'd lean toward the "go ahead and mod it".

Rick

muffler mod on a dolmar 5105 how do you do it ?

it is a one year warranty i think i will go ahead and mod the muffler. it looks like i can just bend the top cover lip over and take the 2 halfs apart and remove the cat and internal. is that the correct way to mod the dolmar mufflers. i have only modded a couple stihls and 5 husqvarnas. this is my first ever dolmar everyone talked like the 5100 was the to have and i sold off a 353 and a 350. kept one 353 that runs better than the 5105 i bought but the 353 has a muffler mod.

it is a one year warranty i think i will go ahead and mod the muffler. it looks like i can just bend the top cover lip over and take the 2 halfs apart and remove the cat and internal. is that the correct way to mod the dolmar mufflers. i have only modded a couple stihls and 5 husqvarnas. this is my first ever dolmar everyone talked like the 5100 was the to have and i sold off a 353 and a 350. kept one 353 that runs better than the 5105 i bought but the 353 has a muffler mod.

You may be able to order the OEM muffler that fits the 5100/5105 (not catalytic) and then do the mod on the spare. That way, you still have the cat muffler if any warranty issues come up.

I also like to order a separate muffler to do the mod, just in case I mess it up.

how can i know for certain on whether the replacment muffler will have a cat in it all the online sources for parts lookup do not list the 5105 what other saws have the same muffler as the 5100 and 5105 maybe i could figure what part # to order that way. i think i will buy a different muffler and keep the factory just in case i ever had any warranty concerns.

muffler mod on a Dolmar 115i, any sense or not?

Hi all,
i recently bought my first Dolmar (115i, same as the makita DCS5200i), it was a real bargain (it was used, but i could get it for 150 Euro) and it's in good health.
I was wondering, since i read that the 115i is a powerfull saw already, does a muffler mod is of any use? Can i gain more power with such a mod?

Thanks,
Bart

Hi all,
i recently bought my first Dolmar (115i, same as the makita DCS5200i), it was a real bargain (it was used, but i could get it for 150 Euro) and it's in good health.
I was wondering, since i read that the 115i is a powerfull saw already, does a muffler mod is of any use? Can i gain more power with such a mod?

Thanks,
Bart

Hello Bart and welcome to AS.

Generally, any saw will benefit from a muffler mod. There are many threads here showing how to do it. Just use the "search" tool to find them.

Congratulations on the new saw. There are many people on here who are fans of Dolmar. We do not have as many dealers in the US for Dolmar as we do for Stihl and Husqvarna, but the people who use Dolmar really like them. I got my first one, a 7900, when a local shop added the Dolmar line. They give good service and the saw is excellent.

Silver brazing

Has anyone ever silver brazed the tube onto the muffler before? I'm thinking about trying it when I mod my MS 361 but obviously don't want it falling off the first time I get the muffler hot. Also, what is the typical temperature of the exhaust once everything gets warmed up?

Carb Tuning, AFter the mod

ok..well i can run and maintain saws fairly well in my opinion..but for as far as the H and L screws, ive never touched em... So, my question is, after i mod my muff (haha..i said muff..) How do i go about tuning my carb correctly? If i'm burning excess fuel, no biggie..i just dont wanna cook my saw...seeing as they're worth they're weight in gold since i heat with wood. I've got my baby 135 husky that imma mod. its a fast cutter, but cmon....even faster would be great.. and MORE LOUDER would be sweet too.. i like obnoxious sounding toys. lol

Thanx guys!

-Zac:chainsawguy:

ok..well i can run and maintain saws fairly well in my opinion..but for as far as the H and L screws, ive never touched em... So, my question is, after i mod my muff (haha..i said muff..) How do i go about tuning my carb correctly? If i'm burning excess fuel, no biggie..i just dont wanna cook my saw...seeing as they're worth they're weight in gold since i heat with wood. I've got my baby 135 husky that imma mod. its a fast cutter, but cmon....even faster would be great.. and MORE LOUDER would be sweet too.. i like obnoxious sounding toys. lol

Thanx guys!

-Zac:chainsawguy:

there are more then enough carb tunign threads, some with videos even. madsens has an audio file and a good wrigth up.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw carb tune.htm

Thank you sir! ...imma have to find a site for non pro saws with rpm suggestions. Also have to find me a single cylinder tach!

Thank you sir! ...imma have to find a site for non pro saws with rpm suggestions. Also have to find me a single cylinder tach!

go to the "Beg for the manuals" thread and ask for you manual. it will have the tunign specs, they wont matter after you MM it so use madsens. You have to use your ear, not a #. A tach is good for after tuning to check and make sure something is int way off.

yah imma grab a tach from work that we use for checking spindle speed. i'm sure itll work. Its gotta rubber tip that goes into the pilot hole on the crank shaft (or spindle) itll measure speeds from 0 to like 30,000 rpm. Maybe not as acurate, BUT free so itll get me close. Yah from what i've read on that carb tuning page, playin it by ear is how it'll get done.. With automobiles, i can pick outta problem easily...now its upto my senses to learn myself how to read saws as well.. Thanks guys!

Muff Mod on my 137 E-Series..

Awww, he's just a lil guy..but Big at heart! lol did my mod, just gotta get my tach so i dont toast it. always did cut very good, but now it mowed through a white oak log about 12 inchs in diameter faster than ever before... I'm excited!

AND OF COURSE, pic to go with my testimonial! lol aint pretty, but it works! Oh and by the way, pic was before i mowed the log in half, so now the pretty orange paint is scuffed. lol I tried...*sighs*

So how'd that work out? you cut the muffler open or just punch holes in it?. Just curious, i got the 445 and was wandering if it had all kinda stupid #### inside the muffler like my little 137 did. Had a cylindrical thing with screen in it and an oval thing as well, all kinds of useless stuff. Only saved the screen from inside for the exit hole i made to keep sparks N stuff from gettin out..if it actually helps. i had to cut mine open, and mig it back together.

Latest posts

Back