Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do most modders like their port to face?

I've seen some that blow over the chain, on the chain, over to the off side, up, down....

any pro/cons for direction?

I've seen some that blow over the chain, on the chain, over to the off side, up, down....

any pro/cons for direction?

Mine blows to the left and down, work's pretty well. You have to experiment, its only metal.

Some just open up and add the port where the factory one is, they look really good. I had to figure out what I wanted and go with it.

ms290 mod

so i'm stuck at work today and it's as slow as can be. reading on here and getting excited to modify the muffler on my 290. what exactly do i have to do to the carb when i'm done. high end? low end? please help, i dont want the mouthbreathers down in the valley to hear my saws final war cry echo off the mountain before i inadvertenly do some engine damage.

so i'm stuck at work today and it's as slow as can be. reading on here and getting excited to modify the muffler on my 290. what exactly do i have to do to the carb when i'm done. high end? low end? please help, i dont want the mouthbreathers down in the valley to hear my saws final war cry echo off the mountain before i inadvertenly do some engine damage.

adjust the carb, lots of threads on it.

i realize i have to adjust the carb, and i got the high end and low end sighted in. am i right to think i have to go counterclockwise with the high end? what about the low end? what am i listening for? maybe it's better to ask what am i feeling for since i'll probably be deaf as hell once i mod the muff.:givebeer:

i realize i have to adjust the carb, and i got the high end and low end sighted in. am i right to think i have to go counterclockwise with the high end? what about the low end? what am i listening for? maybe it's better to ask what am i feeling for since i'll probably be deaf as hell once i mod the muff.:givebeer:

One of the threads has a sound recording and Brad has a good video.

thanks, i'll try searching for it. but if you've got the link lying around that'd be great. and who is brad?

:monkey:

attachment.php
[/IMG]
Now that i finally figured out how to put pics up:chainsaw:, here are some of my 621 with a slight but effective muffler mod.

Last edited:
I was interested in hearing about shops I could send a muffler to be modified.

Walker in BC is one such shop, but would love to hear about others or if any members would consider taking on the mod.

I understand I could port it myself, but I was interested in a cleaner, welded look.

If I can't find a shop to help me with a welded mod, I figure I will order these Husky parts for $30, and do it myself.

attachment.php

I ordered the deflector, screen and mounting screws today.

I have noted Lake say the muffler body metal is a tad thin.

Should I rethink using the sheet metal screw approach for securing the deflector/screen?

I thought it might be easy to drill & tap holes and use a couple of small bolts/nuts instead. Once installed, I could trim off any excess bolt protruding past the nut for a clean look.

Jd cs56

I've seen some cool mods but it seems like alot of fabrication to clear the chain brake. Why not use the existing access hole in the front of the muffler
mufflerpics001.jpg
and drill a hole in the blocking plate
mufflerpics002.jpg
and then sandwich the spark arrestor screen between the two?

Any thoughts welcome !!

I was interested in hearing about shops I could send a muffler to be modified.

Walker in BC is one such shop, but would love to hear about others or if any members would consider taking on the mod.

I understand I could port it myself, but I was interested in a cleaner, welded look.

If I can't find a shop to help me with a welded mod, I figure I will order these Husky parts for $30, and do it myself.

attachment.php

this has gotten me to jump the fence into the muff mod world, nice and easy and looks stock. Gonna order up 3 sets, by feb. I should be all modded out.:rock:

this has gotten me to jump the fence into the muff mod world, nice and easy and looks stock. Gonna order up 3 sets, by feb. I should be all modded out.:rock:

These are Husqvarna parts by the way.

I plan to see how these parts might work on both my 192T and 211 and then possibly mod them. However, my main purpose to mod the 361 was for more power pulling the 25" bar with RSC chain.

I may run the 361 stock with the 20" bar, but install the modded muffler and retune when I want to run the 25" bar. The 361 ability to pull the 20" bar is fine and I'd prefer the quieter setup. :)

I'll post pics ASAP.

That works very well. You see it on Husqvarna saws which have the front mounting bracket. Drill 2 or 3 holes and sandwich the screen. If you want to get up to a muffler exit area of 85% of the exhaust port area, there may not be enough room on the mounting bracket. Everybody has their own way to do it.

That works very well. You see it on Husqvarna saws which have the front mounting bracket. Drill 2 or 3 holes and sandwich the screen. If you want to get up to a muffler exit area of 85% of the exhaust port area, there may not be enough room on the mounting bracket. Everybody has their own way to do it.

I'm pretty sure that the original muffler opening + that big hole in the front will plenty exceed the 85% exhaust port rule.

Reason I was thinking about this as an option is that once the saw is put back together you'll never notice any extra work done on it...sleeper saw!

I'm off to do some research and then I'll be back with pics!!!! These really cold days give me way to much time to get into trouble :greenchainsaw:

I Did It!

stock muffler hole and cover

mufflerpics024.jpg

mufflerpics027.jpg

I didn't want to mess with fabricating a new exhaust pipe and wanted to keep the stock look so I modified the following
mufflerpics002.jpg

this is the cover that blocks the access hole in the muffler
mufflerpics001.jpg

this is the access hole
and this is the modified piece
mufflerpics060.jpg

mufflerpics063.jpg

I may have opened up too much, but the area I cut out was a bump..see pic above and you can see the detent that I removed. I'll have to go back in and measure and more than likely weld the hole back shut partially
After cutting away the detent/bump I placed the access blocking plate back on the saw and then put my spark arrestor screen over it and used the heat shield to clamp the screen in place
mufflerpics064.jpg

mufflerpics065.jpg

Hmmmm..what mod? Clean stock look.

Latest posts

Back