Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
257 husky muff mod?

I searched this thread and couldn't find a pic or description for the 257/ 267xp

Did I miss it or is there one here with a similar muffler?

This is looking to be next weeks project:)

390 xp

I searched this thread and could not find anything about muffler modding the Husqvarna 390XP. Has anybody done one? How big a hole did you use? I am thinking 5/8 to 3/4 ID in addition to the stock outlet.
Thanks in advance.

Here's mine on my Husky 350.

Fired it up tonite for the 1st time with muffler mod fitted. It was late so didn't want to upset the neighbours (though garage is underground). First impression was it was so much easier to start and when shut down after 10 seconds restarted with only a 3-4" of pull! ....and it rev's a lot easier. H mix tweaked 1/4 turn ACW - but that is as far as it will go and then hits the cam stop (see pic).

Original exhaust vent and spark shield are still there. No risk of spark causing an issue here. It's too bl**dy wet :)

attachment.php

Off work Sunday and weather permitting I can to go and hack some more of my fallen 'firewood tree' up. So I can give it a proper test.

It is louder but not a whole lot.

Last edited:
I searched this thread and could not find anything about muffler modding the Husqvarna 390XP. Has anybody done one? How big a hole did you use? I am thinking 5/8 to 3/4 ID in addition to the stock outlet.
Thanks in advance.

i did a 385 a "walkerized" style port i used two 5/8 tubes at the top of the muffler angled to the sides. i can get pics of it if desired

I'm no expert, but shouldn't the openings to mufflers be pointing down, so as to discourage debris from entering the machine?

Good point, but I think that any chips would have a tough time getting in there, especially when the saw is running. Also, if you have a screen, nothing will get past it.

I'm no expert, but shouldn't the openings to mufflers be pointing down, so as to discourage debris from entering the machine?

ive never had a problem with that as the factory ports never angle and most people take out the screens. if the saw is running nothing will get in there at all and as long as your not storing it in dirt you wont have any problems

break in?

should I allow my saw to 'break in' before I perform this mod on my 361? If so, how many tanks of fuel should I run through it first? 10-15?

should I allow my saw to 'break in' before I perform this mod on my 361? If so, how many tanks of fuel should I run through it first? 10-15?

That could help if any problems arise during break in. A modded muffler "might" cause your warrenty to be void, depending on the dealer. 8-10 tanks will be fine for break-in.

To Haywire:
I do refrigeration work on commercial and industrial equipment for a living. There is a lot of need for brazing because of the pressures of the refrigerant, especially one like 410a that runs at pressures twice as high or higher than conventional refrigerants. The point of all this is that Mapp gas can be used to braze if you have the right torch. I tried to use mapp gas with a bernzomatic torch that I had bought for a propane cylinder. I had no luck. Then I bought a Lenox torch head that has a very large tip on it. I can braze up to 3/4" pipe with silver bearing brazing rod with the Lenox torch head and mapp gas, it is more affordable than a b-tank and turbo-torch setup, but if you have to do it a lot, there is no sub for the b-tank with turbo torch or the oxy accet. torch.

can someone please help me figure out how to mod my 435. i know how to braise metal and weld but have never modded a chainsaw before. i was thinking of doing a muffler mod to my huskvarna 435 41cc. should i port it and where would i do it on the muffler? pics if you can help a brotha out!

Stick Welder

Reading the posts, I don't see (or haven't read of) anyone using an arc welder to add the ports. Is there a reason? I'm very amateur when it comes to welding and own a Miller arc welder only.

Reading the posts, I don't see (or haven't read of) anyone using an arc welder to add the ports. Is there a reason? I'm very amateur when it comes to welding and own a Miller arc welder only.

It's hard to weld sheet metal with stick.

onley way to get good at welding is practice and lots of it.

Thanks, you're right, of course. I guess the simplest mod is a hole with a screen.

yup, you could pick up a small mig for sheet metal pretty cheap. Or get a good torch with map gas and braze it. The cheap torch heads don't always work for brazing. If i were better at welding I would have you send me it but i'm not happy enough with my welds.

This is my 660, I mig'd it, came out OK.
attachment.php

I used a mig on mine, then used 1800° header paint

and baked it in the grill for an hour. Used 5/8 electrical conduit with the coating ground off.

Back