Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm thinking about a muff mod to my 372xp. I've been reading different threads but was curious if you can just open up the factory hole or if you have to drill another? Thanks Alot f/ all the great info

Here is my 372xp bb muffler mod. Still in the rough stage but I cleaned it up and painted it. Seems to have done the trick. Now I have to port it and advance the timing. And you can tell what saw I'm thinking of getting in the near future.

DSC02524.jpg

ok was hopin you guys could post yur pics of a stihl 441 modded? im not really looking for a power increase i just want my saw to sound like its got a pair. sadly to say my ms 390 sounds like it would eat the 441.

Wow!!!!! Power, power, power!!!!!!

Just ported my 390 muffler and HOLY COW!!! That thing MUST be pushing 6-6.5 HP!!! It won't stall in elm with 20" bar and full chisel chain with depth guages a little deeper than stock.:dizzy:and thats when I HANG on it!!!:jawdrop: It's just raw power......had to run the port off to the right, above the stock port because of the saw design. THANK YOU LAKESIDE!!!!!! I am going to do this to all my friends saws too....:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Four Paws said:
Some Stihl saws can also be equipped with a factory dual port muffler cover which usually makes any additional muffler mods unnecessary for most folks.

Does anyone know whether these are available for the MS290 and 028AV saws? And am I reading it right that if these are installed a muffler mod probably is not needed?

Howdy, chainsaw newb here. Does anybody have any details on muffler modding an echo cs400? I searched and seen a few people have done this but I didn't see any pics or details. I have no problem cutting it apart, but it would be nice to hear of a proven mod, since its a $50 muffler. Thanks.

Day late/dollar short

Wish I'd known about this forum some time ago . I did try to buy a book off of ebay " How to modify your chainsaw muffler " but never received the book only to file a dispute to get my money back .

I've also seen and known of " Walkerized " saws for some time but had the pleasure of meeting Don Walker this last summer when I was on Vancouver Island and also his lil dog Tim ( Timber , 150 lbs Siberian Husky , part dog-part pony- I swear ! ). Not to slight Don but I may have made mods to my saw first before sending it to him . As a Euro auto mechanic for over 25+ years we have a very nice machine shop to even make a muffler from scratch . Might have been fun to work on the 394 but there will be other saws ......

Should have my 394XP back from Don in a couple of weeks .

Some repairs and mostly mods were done .

I plan on replacing the 350 with an XP , but may play with some mods on the muffler first thanks to this forum and thread .

Just wanted to say hey and thanks for a good source of info .

SxS

more power needed here in Romania also :)

this thread caught my attention on the first read. This is also my first post here, so cheers to every enthusiast on here. glad I've found this comunity.

I've opened the exhausts on my dirt bike, on my cars and I said why not on the chainsaws. So, my first one that got the muffler mod was the Husqvarna 575XP. I know that there weren't so many modded mufflers on these, but I tried and did it. It performs better than before but also MUCH louder, it screams like a 2 stroke MX. though, I'm looking forward to see if I can get fix it with a black ignition module from 372, cause I couldn't get just 13600rpm. otherwise, I love it!!
I was basically ported the actual 4 inside openings of the firewall that its inside of the muffler, sorry no picture for that. and then added on the lower side of the muffler 2 pipes, and had them angled cutted inside and outside and also got it painted with a thermal paint.
110209.jpg

1102091.jpg

1102092.jpg

1102092.jpg

then I went further with the next chainsaw that I have, its called Partner 352 (same as Poulan 2250 and other), its a small cc chainsaw that I used in my garden from time to time.
we did porting for the first time on this one. have to say that we didn't do NOTHING on the timing because we have to figure out first how to do it. we've opened the intake and the exhaust side quit a few milimeters. then I did the muffler job, which looks great. It performs way better, and it revs quicker. I just did some carb adjustments cause on first start it stayed higher on rpm, and didn't do it good on high rpms. It still didnt went upper than 13400rpm. I need to get more into this one for sure, but for now it outperforms ANY of his twin brothers :)
also, any suggestions are welcomed.

1102094.jpg

1102095.jpg

Last edited:
029 muff mod

Does anyone know whether these are available for the MS290 and 028AV saws? And am I reading it right that if these are installed a muffler mod probably is not needed?

Just did a muffler mod to my 029 this afternoon, can take a few pics and put them up for you if you think it would help. It was fairly simple, and didn't take too long (no welding involved). It is definitely more peppy.

my homelite saw has a cover on the muffler. it's a separate piece of flat steel thats cover the actual muffler. do i need to keep it on? will it make my saw run better if i take it off?

Latest posts

Back