Large fallen tree options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishjmac

Reaction score
We had a storm roll through last night with some freak winds that unfortunately uprooted our huge, old Beech tree. It was about 120' tall with about a 6' base. I've been searching the internet for any options outside of the box for this magnificent tree rather than just chipping it up. We live in the Ohio Valley area and the arborist that looked at it this morning said there isn't a mill in our area that can handle a tree that large. We don't have the money to ship it out of state but I'm hoping perhaps someone might have some other ideas? Thanks

Let's be honest. What you're really asking is "Is there a way I can make money from this?" The answer is no. From a pure monetary standpoint, one tree is worthless, 10 acres of trees are break even, 20 acres will make a profit. Now, if it was Highly Valuable Black Walnut....... lol.

I believe you want highest and best use out of respect for the resource and the (former) tree. OSU extension, ODNR, might have ideas. Also contact the local ISA chapter to look for referrals; what state? Can you post pics to fwd? Can you see if the trunk is hollow?

We have a local wood shop that will take your old tree trunks & make furniture pieces. Some of our high end customers do this.

BigAsh_0123-229x229.jpg
photo-201-127x170.jpg
IMG_0061-170x170.jpg

Contact Wood-Mizer. They will tell you who owns a portable mill in your area. The highest value might be gained from creating products, slabs, boards, etc. on site.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Just back in town for the holiday weekend. Thanks for all the replies. I've attached a few pics. The first pic is about 45' up the base where the trunk starts branching off. There's a pic of me standing in that same spot for perspective - I'm 5'2". Then pics of the base - from the bottom where it was uprooted and the side. I tried to get a shot of the entire length but can't fit it all in. My husband standing on the trunk - he's 5'11". The last two are the trunk from the other side and a close up of where the trunk was split a bit when it fell. I don't see any rot in the split.

We measured it. It's 6' diameter at the base. 18' circumference. About 8' up it was still 5' diameter.

Treeseer, thx for the ideas. We're in KY. OSU is about 3 hours from us. I don't think the trunk is hollow but I attached plenty of pics if you or anyone would like to offer opinions.

As a couple others offered using it for furniture was the first thing I thought of but honestly I don't even know where to begin. There was only one store I could think of in our area that might market things like that but they import everything and could offer no help on any other ideas.

We bought our house almost 20 years ago, when our children were babies. This tree was one of the things we loved about the house and our kids have grown up under it and enjoyed many years of a rope swing in it. So many wonderful memories. We were heartbroken to find it fallen and then more so to hear it would be best to just chip it up. So no, we aren't looking to make money off of our beautiful tree but I would love to know it lives on somehow, somewhere, making more memories. Unfortunately the more I call around and ask the more I hear that freight and transport for a tree this size is nearly impossible. It's going to cost us money no matter what we do. I'd love to make certain it has a dignified ending but can't justify spending a huge amount on it....that's just not in our budget right now with kids in college.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Put a add an craigslist and see what happens. Firewood, or maybe someone could use a chainsaw mill on it if it's solid. It's a big tree which makes everything more difficult. Good luck. Keep us updated. If I was closer I would turn it to firewood. I'd pay $300 for it.

I would CHARGE $300 to haul it off! Then turn it into boards and firewood.
But with the right person some mighty nice lumber could come from it.

Host a GTG = get together for arboristesite freakies and you will be amazed how fast something like that gets cut up and disappears! Cost food and drinks for a bunch of guys. Some might even arrive with milling equipment. So many guys here with real big saws just lusting for a challenge like you have lying in your garden.

Lots of work there, you will save yourself some trouble if you just let someone have the biggest part for firewood and then try to find someone who can use the log to get it out of your yard.

Latest posts

Back