Large Limb Removal Under Pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here is a situation presently before me.

A large limb about 18" dia comes off a very large sycamore. It goes out about 10 ft horizontally. It then gradually curves upward. It has broken about 8 ft out and the entire limb (about45ft) rests in three smaller trees. These trees are leaning due to the weight of the limb, thus probably lots of pressure. The limb at the trunk of the sycamore is about 25 ft from the ground. No other close limbs on the syc within 30-40 ft above this limb. Sycamore trunk about 5 feet dia. No nearby trees to work from.

Good enough picture?

Please give me some options as to how to remove this limb. I have some ideas but would like morepossible options........thanks

Can you get a TIP anywhere up high in the Sycamore? I did a locust limb in just about the same scenario, and I dropped onto it from above, and cut it out in little pieces. Got a heck of a ride, too when the last piece dropped out.
Sure would'nt be a good idea climbing up to the limb, sounds like a good time to get that bucket truck you always wanted.

Could you set a block up high in the sycamore, or out on a limb on the sycamore... then either A) winch the limb up and lower it butt first, or B) tie in high, tip tie everything and swing it out of there.

Kevin, pic is about right but limb is arched upward and has fallen partially into 3 smaller trees

The rig Kevin posted looks good. Another option might be to hang a second lowering line near the break to control the butt.

Without seeing it and making all kinds of assumptions, I'd tie one lowering line leaving the branch butt heavy. Tie a second lowering line to control the butt. Then I'd use a Hobbs LD and winch the limb off the trees it's resting on. Looks like a fun job.

If you aren't trying to save the smaller trees can you secure the tip of the limb and just cut and drop the butt section?

I think the most important factor is what is the homeowner willing to pay. We can debate rigging technique all day, but the bottom line is what could you get, and that would determine the level of expertise applied, unless you're doing pro bono work.
$50, a rope and truck, and it would be over in 10 minutes.:rolleyes:

Why not use some simple rigging and support methods to save the branch? It's still connected, let's save the limb. If this were a human or even a canine limb, we'd be fixing it, heck, I know people that would fix a cat's limb. I'd rather have 50 mature sycamores in my yard than 50 mature cats.

Signed,
Bob W.

I would have to think about a crane! An operator around here is $120.00 per hour. Would save alot of time and headache.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
I'd rather have 50 mature sycamores in my yard than 50 mature cats.

Signed,
Bob W.

I'd rather have the cats.

I love cats.

They taste like chicken. :D

Originally posted by treeslayer
I'd rather have a 3 legged cat.

And maybe a blind dog to chase his crippled a$$ around the yard under the broken limbed sycamore.....:laugh:

<hr>

In Texas, I saw a cat-legged tree.

And a really big woman with blue hair.

Haven't been back since...

Bob Wulfowitz

Latest posts

Back