Large RED OAK Cut and Split - pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just realized that I should post the pics from a approx. 4' average diamater Red Oak tree that I cut and split for firewood recently. Cut the rounds with a MS460 with Dual Port Muffler cover and 28" bar, WoodsmanPro RCS chain. Quartered the rounds with a stock 372xp (with Dave Neiger right now) so that we could handle those heavy bas$%#ds. Could not have been happier with adding the DP cover to the MS460 just before cutting, it didn't skip a beat. Hopefully I will post the pictures correctly... first time for everything.

Nice Job !!! though there will always be someone here that would suggest that you should have used a 441 with a shorter bar. Chunks do look abit heavy.

rotax

Red Oak

It look's like you had your hands full with that monster red oak. I cut on a few like that (already downed) last year when a tornado swept through a neaby community and hit an oak grove that leveled approximately twenty 100+year old red oaks. It nearly killed me trying to lift the branches! :laugh:

Wrist

I did all the cutting (2 buddies did most the splitting) except for the last round and quartering it. My right wrist was killing me! Even though the MS460 was cutting really smooth, so much so that I was bummed I had waited until that big tree came along to really put it to the test. Ripping with the 372 was certainly a little harder on the hands, but a must due to the weight of the full rounds.

Makes my back hurt just thinking about it! Nice work! One round sliced about 4" thick sure would make one heck of a coffe table.

Rotax Robert said:
Nice Job !!! though there will always be someone here that would suggest that you should have used a 441 with a shorter bar. Chunks do look abit heavy.

rotax

Hey that's BAITING :angry: :jester: :jester:

Nice pics, big wood sucks to process.

In the third pic, you might want to rethink standing on the piece you are cutting off, it isn't a safe cutting practice. The piece could unexpectedly let go and there you go a$$ over tea kettle with a running saw in your hand.

I've got a Burr oak about that size, 20', laying out back that I've been himmin an hawwin about, firewood or milling. The 460 would buck it up just fine as you know, but milling would be tough on it, so I'll wait for the 075 to show up and put them both into it. Should as much fun as it looks like you had, some real nice wood there.

Latest posts

Back