And, another big dead Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I shared a couple video of cutting this big dead Red Oak in another thread. Suffice to say, I am very lucky to have easy access to a hill top of big hardwood, and unlucky enough to have many of the big Red Oak succumbing to what I believe is Oak Wilt. The White Oaks seem not to be affected (at least yet), but the Reds and the few Pin Oaks are dying at an alarming rate.

Anyway, I cut this one a couple weeks ago when there was still snow on the ground:

IMG_6972.JPG

The rounds are 28-32" diameter, and a little too heavy for me to lift, so I've been setting them up with the GT grapple on my JD:

IMG_6984.JPG

Then, I maul them into smaller pieces by working around the edges with an old $4 hardware store maul (because the ground is so rocky, I don't want to risk running my x27 through to a rock):

I already know I could split faster or more efficiently, or whatever, but this is the pace I like, and one I can do all day.

Much of it is already the right size, but the rest I set up and finish with the x27, my splitter of choice:

I load a reasonable amount (about 2 of those rounds worth in the JD 15s and pull them out of the woods and to a stack location along a cart path I can get a truck to for pick-up next year:

Then some high speed stacking:

I'm only about half way through that big Red Oak. All work done under the watchful eye of my partner, Scout:

IMG_7086.JPG

Thanks for taking a look!

Hate to admit this but the older guys on here are really making me look bad this year. Nice work!

I'm the kind of guy that will appreciate the compliment, and ignore the potential reference to age. Thanks

that last pic is simply beautiful!!

Thanks, stacking is not my favorite part, but a pretty stack is a great sales tool. We host a lot of picnics here in the summer, and folks invariably take a walk around the property. I've had people pay me in June for a stack of wood they won't pick-up, or have delivered till October.

Gee! I hate to show these pictures to the wife, she'll want me to take the Gopro out with me so she can see what I really do in the woods. I have a pile of logs in the pasture ready to be bucked up but like MNGuns was saying, we are in to our mud season.. Looks good out by you.. Great Pics and Vids..

I'm the kind of guy that will appreciate the compliment, and ignore the potential reference to age. Thanks

Thanks, stacking is not my favorite part, but a pretty stack is a great sales tool. We host a lot of picnics here in the summer, and folks invariably take a walk around the property. I've had people pay me in June for a stack of wood they won't pick-up, or have delivered till October.

Can I send my 2 boys (age 8 & 11) to you so you can teach them how to stack? We had multiple stacks fall this year, not all their fault, but even on flat ground their stacks lean tremendously sometimes.

I think at least one of you jinxed the weather here. It started yesterday as a "Wintery Mix" that's snow, sleet, and freezing rain for you lucky folks that don't live where that happens, then the temps notched up to about 37, and hasn't stopped raining since. About 36 hours so far, and about 24 more in the forecast. Might be a while till I haul any more of that tree out. There is enough draining on this hill top, and plenty of years of accumulation of leaves for me to walk in there and split when the rain stops, but I really don't like to rut up my trails.

And, send as many youngsters as you want, I'll let them stack till their heart's content.

Can I send my 2 boys (age 8 & 11) to you so you can teach them how to stack? We had multiple stacks fall this year, not all their fault, but even on flat ground their stacks lean tremendously sometimes.
stacking on dirt,,you nearly never win!!.. get some belting,,and lay that down,,my stacks don't tip over no more...

I shared a couple video of cutting this big dead Red Oak in another thread. Suffice to say, I am very lucky to have easy access to a hill top of big hardwood, and unlucky enough to have many of the big Red Oak succumbing to what I believe is Oak Wilt. The White Oaks seem not to be affected (at least yet), but the Reds and the few Pin Oaks are dying at an alarming rate.

Anyway, I cut this one a couple weeks ago when there was still snow on the ground:

View attachment 487730

The rounds are 28-32" diameter, and a little too heavy for me to lift, so I've been setting them up with the GT grapple on my JD:

View attachment 487732

Then, I maul them into smaller pieces by working around the edges with an old $4 hardware store maul (because the ground is so rocky, I don't want to risk running my x27 through to a rock):

I already know I could split faster or more efficiently, or whatever, but this is the pace I like, and one I can do all day.

Much of it is already the right size, but the rest I set up and finish with the x27, my splitter of choice:

I load a reasonable amount (about 2 of those rounds worth in the JD 15s and pull them out of the woods and to a stack location along a cart path I can get a truck to for pick-up next year:

Then some high speed stacking:

I'm only about half way through that big Red Oak. All work done under the watchful eye of my partner, Scout:

View attachment 487733

Thanks for taking a look!

Do you use a transit, a chalk line, and a laser level when you stack your wood? :bowdown:

No transit, not even a chalk line or any line at all for that matter. But, I do have access to some very tall, straight aspen trees I take poles from and pay some attention to placing them and leveling them.

Stack poles_1.JPG

Then I use them for a couple years, stacking, using, restacking till they get a little soft, then I roll them into the woods, and replace them.

The stack in the picture in the first post is on level ground, and wasn't hard to get it stable. Here is a picture from last year when I first used it:
P1070684.JPG

Sold that pile last Summer, delivered it in October, and started stacking there again last week.

Now here is a the beginnings of a stack of the sawed tops from a Pin Oak that needed some more serious blocking to make it level. This stack held fine for over a year till a buyer who was shorted and delivered green wood came over and bought this one on site:

P1070507.JPG

But, bottom line, I don't stack directly on the ground, the chipmunks love the raceway created between the two bottom rails. And, I don't contend with earthquakes. I also cut only dead trees, and so it seasons for only 12-18 months before use. So, my stacks might not have to endure as much as some of you.

Attachments

• Stack poles_3.JPG
    Stack poles_3.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • Stack poles_2.JPG
    Stack poles_2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
ok,, whats the diff,, between bourbon, scotch, whiskey, etc??? never drank the stuff,, but wondered the diff......
Whole 'nother thread my friend.

Scotch-Made in Scotland
Bourbon-Made in US with at least 51% corn
Rye-Rye is main ingredient
Whisk(e)y-overall category of grain based, barrel aged spirit. Spelling depends on country of origin.

Latest posts

Back