And, another big dead Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you slide over the handle to protect it near the head of the axe?

It's a handle protector, available at local hardware stores in the $6 range, and on line at many places where shipping often costs more than the protector. Here is an old picture of my two tools:

image.jpeg

Mine is obviously well used

I shared a couple video of cutting this big dead Red Oak in another thread. Suffice to say, I am very lucky to have easy access to a hill top of big hardwood, and unlucky enough to have many of the big Red Oak succumbing to what I believe is Oak Wilt. The White Oaks seem not to be affected (at least yet), but the Reds and the few Pin Oaks are dying at an alarming rate.

Anyway, I cut this one a couple weeks ago when there was still snow on the ground:

View attachment 487730

The rounds are 28-32" diameter, and a little too heavy for me to lift, so I've been setting them up with the GT grapple on my JD:

View attachment 487732

Then, I maul them into smaller pieces by working around the edges with an old $4 hardware store maul (because the ground is so rocky, I don't want to risk running my x27 through to a rock):

I already know I could split faster or more efficiently, or whatever, but this is the pace I like, and one I can do all day.

Much of it is already the right size, but the rest I set up and finish with the x27, my splitter of choice:

I load a reasonable amount (about 2 of those rounds worth in the JD 15s and pull them out of the woods and to a stack location along a cart path I can get a truck to for pick-up next year:

Then some high speed stacking:

I'm only about half way through that big Red Oak. All work done under the watchful eye of my partner, Scout:

View attachment 487733

Thanks for taking a look!

Great pics. Hate to hear about red oak dying at an alarming rate. So many tree diseases happening.

Terrific looking dog by the way.

If I am able to make it, I will be bringing a fifth of this. Some of the finest bourbon made anywhere.

View attachment 488041

Looks good.

Reminds me of one night I got lost driving around an unfamiliar city, and by the time I got to the hotel I was ready for a Bourbon and Rye tasting fest. Tasted some fine Texas local spirits in a similar looking bottle.
But man, it's so frustrating, if I look at bourbon I put on weight, so moderation or me, a little here and there. Down the road I'm sure I'll give Hudson a try.

This was one of them, rather good.

Oops probably should be in the drinking thread.

bourbon.jpg

jere39, I got to love the stack of unsplit wood. My old man and grand father always told me that the secret to not splitting wood was not to cut wood that had to be split. Me and my younger brother as kids back in the early 60's had to tote,roll, or any way we could figure out how to get a 26' plus stick of fire wood in to the fire place. Which we had two of them. plus one of them was up stares, also many sticks of slab wood for the home comfort kitchen wood stove. And 4 wood stoves.

The point being, don't split wood unless you have to!

I still Do not know why I like to cut wood, What I am saying is if you like it than keep on doing it!

The only thing that I can say is that my helper has been giving me a half gallon bottle of crown royal for many years. I will always keep them in the shop for a special meeting.
svk I can't drink Jack Daniels, long story..

Jere39, maybe if you sold wood to a distillery the diversion would may more sense. Back on topic, red oak makes great firewood - my favorite.

It was a beautiful 45 degrees here today. I cut down 50+ trees today but only 10 or so that were more than 15". None like yours. You can see in the third picture that I am saving the timber. This is to let the LO rethink his permission to cut anything I want. The entire 6 acre tract will be cleared for a commercial development; I only made a small dent in it.

IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1103-001.JPG

Ron

Jere39, maybe if you sold wood to a distillery the diversion would may more sense. Back on topic, red oak makes great firewood - my favorite.

It was a beautiful 45 degrees here today. I cut down 50+ trees today but only 10 or so that were more than 15". None like yours. You can see in the third picture that I am saving the timber. This is to let the LO rethink his permission to cut anything I want. The entire 6 acre tract will be cleared for a commercial development; I only made a small dent in it.

View attachment 488659 View attachment 488660 View attachment 488661 View attachment 488665

Ron

Ha, you gonna be busy! Want to see one of them army trucks heaped up 20 feet tall!

Is that a big old Pioneer in the last picture? Looks like you had plenty of saws to work with.

McCulloch Pro Mac 800. The other two are Stihls. Main saw is a MS361 with an old 036Pro as a back up. Needed the backup twice today - once due to a pinch while cutting a top out of my way and once from a pinch when I misread (by 180 degrees!!!) the lean while falling a small hickory. Bend the sprocket tip on the stuck saw in the process. With the 361 out of commission and the backup dull and weak, I got out the old Mac to fall that tree pictured with it just before I quit for the day.

Ha, you gonna be busy! Want to see one of them army trucks heaped up 20 feet tall!

Only got the one M35A3 shown below left. May put it to use in three weeks or may not since it is currently without tags or insurance. In three weeks there will be 48 10th or 11th grade kids (I forget which grade) and chaperons up from Florida to chunk firewood for the day which is why I am hustling to put some wood on the ground so the other cutters can come in and buck it over the next two Saturdays.

Ron

Florida group from 2014.

IMG_3674.JPG

Nice work on the Red Oak.
One of the best all round firewoods out there.
Nice stacking too. Wow!
Nothing better than to sit down a sip some after working outside.
My fav comes from my Father's land in the Caribbean.
A nice Barbados Mount Gay rum and coke sitting in front of the roaring wood stove with the wife, dog and cats all cuddled up around me.
That's what heaven is.

Back