Large Salt Cedar tree/stump removal project needs ideas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I don't really wanna saw all those huge logs up" -- round here you'd have someone stop in less than a few days after theyre down asking if they can take the firewood. -- Guess thats not the case at your lattitude.

ajc4 said:
For that matter ... grind em, throw on some herbicide, put the septic treatment on, put plastic on & burry it. Then spit on it for good measure. That sould kill the suckers!

Especially the spitting part! :D

ajc4 said:
I dont know abut the septic treatment mentioned earlier in the thread. If its made tobe added to septic tanks, then presumably it also winds up in the leach field, so it must be benign enough to be OK. But do check into that before hand.

It's just beneficial bacteria & enzymes. No sweat. Whether it works for septic tanks is a subject of much debate, but nobody thinks it's dangerous.

I plan to post back next spring once I see how it works for me. Before & after pictures.

Heard the same about buttermilk recently. Plan to test that, too. I have a few dying pines I need to drop...

ajc4 said:
"I don't really wanna saw all those huge logs up" -- round here you'd have someone stop in less than a few days after theyre down asking if they can take the firewood. -- Guess thats not the case at your lattitude.

Already got a buncha firewood, and it's all sold. The big stuff is bigger diameter than i wanna wear out my saw with. Most of it is doable tho. Got pix I'll post them in a min. My brother also has some vid of his bad motha chevy pulling some down. I'll try to twist his arm and get him to post some up.

Sorry sorry- didn't mean it to be rude and I have tons of respect for your work. Since this is the "homeowner helper" forum, I wasn't sure if you were aware that there were machines that actually grind stumps, and I say that because I most certainly didn't know that when I was "a homeowner." (I'm still a homeowner but a tree person too). I was kind of wondering why no one else had mentioned a stumper to you. That's all. Sorry again.
I've been wondering about that septic tank stuff myself. I was thinking about putting it in my regular drain lines to see if it gets some of the gunk out so things drain better.

'S all good. That was the dilemma with where to post this...Homeowner Helper is kinda below me, but I'm not a pro either...just a halfway smart guy who gets things done with what I have. Runs in the family. Grandpa buil www.wymoreinc.com so I grew up working/fixing stuff.
I knew about grinders, but not cost or how deep they can grind. Talked to some locals and they're dubious about killing the trees. I've heard you can fell and limb a tree and lay it on the ground and it will grow roots and sprouts. Pretty tough.

Dang. Tough to judge. The easy was is clearly to cut the stumps down & kill them. But -- if it doesnt work, then you have a bare stump & no trunk to leverage it down with. A stump grinder should get it. They can usually grind the stump right down to the tap root -- you can grind out to the radial roots, severing them. The end result would be basically the same as if you cut the rootball and pulled it over. At least for a 'conventinal' tree.

This site: http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TR...//www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/tamarisk.html

indiactes that even the roots remaining after bulldozing a salt cedar can resprout within 3 years. They recomend triclopyr treatment of the sprouts, and triclopyr treatment of stump surfaces. It sounds like it might take a few years & some diligence to get rid of these things no matter what you do. -- No matter what your never going to get ALL of the roots.

PIX! Finally!

These are just ones they took for fun. I'll take detailed ones of the trees, etc. when I get out there. Also need to see if I can get my bro to put his vids up. We call stuff like this "Redneck Fun 101". :p How big ya think they are?

Posting a link to my album so I don't hog all the bandwidth on this site.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmbyrum8185/detail?.dir=/1553&.dnm=ea02.jpg&.src=ph

There's probably a lot of reasons why this is a bad idea. but ... what if you anchor a big chain hoist to the base of one tree, up to the top of the trunk lever arm of another? Reel it in. I assume you can get a big chain hoist from your shop. Hard to tell from the pictures. The trees would have to be close enough to rig it up, and far apart enough for the hoist operator to be out of the kill zone.

David, those are big SaltCedars. They should grind out quite easily. On difficult to kill species I recommend incising the bark of the live standing tree and squirting Triclopyr into the cuts-The trees show they are dying in 2-3 weeks(turn yellow and start dropping foliage) then it is OVER for the tree. You can't do that at this point but triclopyr on fresh cut stumps is fairly effective. My grinder will grind 22 inches deep.-It is extremely rare to have any "stump" much deeper than 16-18 inches-Detached roots will remain in the ground but that happens with ripping too. David, If you love doing things yourself and playing with equipment (which it seems you do) then I highly recommend that you rent a stump grinder and have some fun.

Been thinking about that...my dad used to run the cable on his duece from a pulley at the base of a tree to the top of the one he wanted to pull down. Maybe I'll try it and see what happens. Got some cable laying around.

ajc4 said:
This site: http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TR...//www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/tamarisk.html

indiactes that even the roots remaining after bulldozing a salt cedar can resprout within 3 years. They recomend triclopyr treatment of the sprouts, and triclopyr treatment of stump surfaces. It sounds like it might take a few years & some diligence to get rid of these things no matter what you do. -- No matter what your never going to get ALL of the roots.

Daggum...I knew they were bad, but jeez...

http://www.invasive.org/weeds.cfm

Looks like a tamarisk is a shrub and a salt cedar is a tree...

David B said:
Daggum...I knew they were bad, but jeez...

http://www.invasive.org/weeds.cfm

Looks like a tamarisk is a shrub and a salt cedar is a tree...

The original link I gave, 5th paragrap down says "Tamarisk, also called salt cedar ... " so I assumed they were the same thing. Your link makes a distinction between a shrub & tree variety. I would guess they are closely related plants. When I first heard the term "salt cedar" I assumed it was a conifer of some kind .... really nothing very "cedar-ish" about it.

There are actually 3 species of Tamarix that have escaped into the American west. They all get called Salt Cedar and they all can vary from shrubs to trees-David's are definitely large specimens.

Those large ones are common here. Actually, some are larger. I'll try to grab some pix. How tall ya think they are? It will prolly be a couple weekends before I get out there again, but when I do, Ill prolly have some more tricks (and camera) in my bag and another Jonsy too.

I'm considering buying another larger saw to use on larger stuff and while my 2050 is down. Recommendations? I want somehting with plenty of power to cut stuff this size. I may end up doing more of this (for $,fun part time), which is why I'm thinking about another saw. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back