Large saw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickJ

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey guys, great forum!

As the title states i'm looking for a nice big saw, it won't be used on a daily basis, ive got a husky 350 which is fine for that, i'm 26 and 6'4" and about 240lbs so i'm not worried too much about weight, it'll be mainly be used for the occasional stump, redgum and some big stuff mainly on the ground.
I'm not too worried about brands but i'd rather Stihl or Husky
A few that have caught my attention are
090 Stihl - theres one for $900au with spare new 40" bar
076 Stihl - also one available in the paper
066 Stihl - they come up pretty often

I spoke to the guy in the stihl shop today and was told the 090 was still available in australia?! and that parts would be easier to get that 076 parts, i found that strange - this would be cool if only to poke fun at my mate who just bought an 088...

The 066 seems pretty logical also as its common and easy to get parts, but lacks the cool factor of the 090!

088's and husky 395's and 120's aren't as common second hand thats why they aren't listed.

Anyone got any comments? Does anybody know if the 090 is in fact available in australia? Pros Cons?

Thanks for any replies and keep up the awesome site

Do you want to cut wood (066), or look good (090)? You make the call.

An 090 will do MUCH more than cut, it'll eat the wood. on a coolness scale of 1-10, the 090 is a 10. though for common work, I'd go for an 066, its just lighter, which you WILL notice after a day of hauling it around.

Do the 066/660. Like Old-saw said, you will indeed notice the difference. I'm also 26, 230 lbs, and am pretty solid, and given the choice, I'd carry my 440 before I carry my 460 all day long. That single pound makes a difference. And I hardly every carry the 056. It's just a pain. I'd think the 090 or 076 would be brutal carrying it all day long. But timbermen from days gone-by did it. They're milling saws these days. The 066 will cut anything you need to cut, weigh less, and you'll have parts much more available. You won't regret getting that saw. I think you'd be rethinking your choice to get the 090, as you're sitting there on a heating pad trying to ease your back pain and figure out how to afford a new piston and cylinder for your 090.

Jeff

Gday MickJ that name does it stand for Mick and Justin Beckit ??

If not no worries, the old 090 takes a bit of beating but it depends on the job it has to do, if it's for breaking down big logs or ripping fence posts then it's the saw and always has been especially out here in OZ.

They must be getting a tad pricey by now but there a great saw.

Mc Bob.

Gday MickJ that name does it stand for Mick and Justin Beckit ??
Na mate Mick Jones.

Yea I figured the 066 would be the answer, I've gotta go to another stihl shop today (ktm dealer - to get bike bits), I'll ask again if the 090 is available new!? if so i might go take a look at the 090 and see what state its in, failing that i'll keep a look out for an 066/660 :)

a man that big can carry any saw. heck there was a time when i could.. long since past. but to be real an 066 is as big as i think u will need.even a body that big will wear out. so id go with the 372 046 or 066. jmo.

My only experience around an 090 was limited to just one old one,still equipped with an air vain governor.The saw had a lot of torque,but didn't really cut that fast.Then again,it might not have been tuned properly.I won't get on the big Mac and Homey thing,as you said Husky and Stihl,were your choices.I am quite impressed with an 084.I've never been around a souped up 066,but a stock one does real well .Fact is,I wouldn't mind having one for myself.

MickJ said:
......... I'll ask again if the 090 is available new!? if so i might go take a look at the 090 and see what state its in, failing that i'll keep a look out for an 066/660 :)

Let us know what you find out. If the 090 is still around there I will be very interested. As for a dealer telling you 090 parts are easier to get that 076 that also seems odd. The 076 engine is the same as the TS760 cutoff saw which is in current production. Engine parts for the 076 should be easy to get.

Bill

welcome mick,,,,good to see another aussie here.....where in aus are you?i'm located in central west nsw

Gday paz i'm from central Vic.

I asked the other shop and he said you can't buy them new but all parts are as available as any other model.

I went and had a look at the 090, stacks of compression, starts easy, ripped it through a log nice and easy, it comes with a new 42" GB pro tip and chain and a used but good 25 inch bar, apparently the guy had fitted new piston and barrel around 10 hours ago.
The weight didn't really worry me as i'm not planning on carting it around all day, but it is hefty.
The only problem i saw was a crack in the sprocket cover where the right dog bolts on, anyone know what theyre made of? mag alloy? Tig it up maybe, or rivet it and it'll be ok, failing that i'll chase a newy. Got it for $850 and i pick it up thursday :cool:

The guy selling said that they cant be brought new here because of no chainbreak, but you could buy all the parts to build one if you wanted to, and they're still used for logging in indonesia i'm told.

Mick

my wifes old-man just bought a new stihl..think it is a 660 magnum,,,brother in-law said it is quiet a beast......

I have an 066 magnum and thats all the power I want to lug around unless Im cutting some out ragious sized logs I run a 36 in bar and chain if I cant cut it with that then Im in trouble. Never had it happen we have an 088 at work its nice but weighs alot I could not imagine lugging it or and 090 around all day.

yea, the 066 probably is the pick them, who knows, if i can convince the girlfriend then maybe i'll acquire on of them one day, great power to weight.
But the 090 just seemed too good to pass up, probably more want than need ;) , its something i won't part with now, a classic. Either way i'm happy with it, and ive got the little husky for when my arms turn to spaghetti and can't take it any more...

Prepare to get gorilla arms and look like a an ape. you're gonna be mighty tired after lugging a heavy 090 all day. hope you opt for the shorter bar for regular use.

Prepare to get gorilla arms and look like a an ape
some would say i already do..

yea, it comes with a smaller bar - around 25", that'll be on it 80% of the time

Latest posts

Back