LARGE splitter project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
changing teeth on the firewood processor in Toledo
I took some pics today of a splitter that I am helping a friend build, it has 2 splitting stations, one to quarter the wood and another to split them further, it is going to have two tip tables to hold a large chip truck full of logs and a conveyor to drag them to the large quartering wedge, I will update as progress is made
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like it will be quit the undertaking. What will you use to power this behemouth?

The local Hyd. shop is going to love you by the time you get to splitting wood! All those hoses..........

:popcorn:

WOW! That thing is going to be a monster! Please keep us posted with pics. of your progress. I can't wait to see tha thing in action!:rockn:

why not just have one head with multiple splits, like the commerical splitters. Theres a link to a vid on here of a processor that cuts, then splits and that thing makes 4x4 pieces at the end.

Since your having a conveyor bring wood to it, gonna have one to take it away?

Looks like it will be quit the undertaking. What will you use to power this behemouth?

The local Hyd. shop is going to love you by the time you get to splitting wood! All those hoses..........

:popcorn:

debating on a 4cyl perkins or a 4Bt cummins, I make my own hydraulic hoses, I have a crimper:hmm3grin2orange: so the cost should be around ehh maybe $250 at the most, everything will be plumbed in steel tubing to the flex points. it will have a outfeed conveyor aswell

I have seen alot of firewood processors like the woodbine and the cord king and after I am done helping Tom with this I am going to build a exact replica of the Cord King Compact 36

have you guys seen the video I posted of the current firewood processor? 52" circular saw to a tandem splitting stations
attachment.php

and as far as buying one? why? $85k verses $2500 in this, LOL

debating on a 4cyl perkins or a 4Bt cummins, I make my own hydraulic hoses, I have a crimper:hmm3grin2orange: so the cost should be around ehh maybe $250 at the most, everything will be plumbed in steel tubing to the flex points. it will have a outfeed conveyor aswell

I have seen alot of firewood processors like the woodbine and the cord king and after I am done helping Tom with this I am going to build a exact replica of the Cord King Compact 36

have you guys seen the video I posted of the current firewood processor? 52" circular saw to a tandem splitting stations

and as far as buying one? why? $85k verses $2500 in this, LOL

I would highly reccomend the 4BT, but then again I'm biased! :hmm3grin2orange:

I think a processor run off a PTO from a tractor would be hoss with fewer engines to deal and more horse power, but that's just me. And not every one has a tractor either.

When I built my splitter I was able to get all used 3/4 hose and cut it down and install one fitting on the cut end and it was ready to rock. I have access to a crimper as well. I think I had around $120 in fittings on mine alone. Those damn swivel fittings add up quick!

On the processor pictured how is the "live deck" constructed? I've been thinking of just building a live deck and putting my portable splitter under it when working at the farm.

Mine's a 28gpm 19 horse 38" capacity splitter so I think it would work out OK.
View attachment 43461

i'm also building a processor. I was worried I was using too much steel, but mine is a tin can compared to that thing.

So why the vertical splitters? Why not a 6 way splitter and split it once???? How do you keep the wood upright????

So why the circular saw vs a hydraulic chainsaw?

i'm also building a processor. I was worried I was using too much steel, but mine is a tin can compared to that thing.

So why the vertical splitters? Why not a 6 way splitter and split it once???? How do you keep the wood upright????

So why the circular saw vs a hydraulic chainsaw?

LOL, it is about 4 tons of steel right now, yea overbuilt is the best way IMO

with the vertical 4 way splitters you have more control over the piece size compaired to running the blank through a french fry cutter, some days ya want large pieces 5x6"and some days you want smaller 3x3" splits, it just depends on what the customer wants, my new processor will be a one size 12 way split in 1 shot

I found a nice cylinder 8" bore 5" rod 24" stroke, at 40 GPM it should cycle in about 5 seconds

as far as the circular saws, Tom just likes to be different,...... but he did say he can cut about 100 cords on a set of carbide teeth and I would like to see a chainsaw do that

anyways here are some new pics from tonite

Back