Large Stihl mount bars - hard to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I've just purchased an 051 for milling. I will be getting some ripping chain for it, but will also need a bar. I'm finding large mount bars quite (very) hard to get in the UK. I can't find anywhere to get a 36" bar apart from Stihl, and I can't really afford a new one from them. Oregon have them but not large mount, I don't know where else to look. Can anyone help?

The only other option I can think of is getting a small mount one and altering it. I can grind out the slot (is there a good way to do this with a grinder?) and dril new oiler holes. But a while ago I offered a large and small mount up and the rear of the small mount was much small, in fact the oiler hols would need to be outside the bar - would work it seems. Also, I could imagine the chain missing the bar in extreme situations. Are some small mounts bigger than others?

Bars

When I bought my 084 it had a 404 gage bar on it and all my other saws has 50 Gage. I special ordered a 3/8 50 Cannon (big bucks) bar from Madsens for it and it works great. I also took a pro top GB bar to a machine shop and for $20 had it made over to match it perfectly. I use the GB most of the time. Both work great. Jim

try baileys (site sponsor) they should be able to hook you up no problems, and anything you get from them (even with shipping and customs) is pretty much guaranteed cheaper than you can get here in europe.

check out http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CPS+30+BS63&catID=344

30" Carlton Premium Sprocket Tip Chainsaw Bar (3007B392PS)
#CPS 30 BS63 Our Price: $39.95

the longest sprocket nose bar in their closeout bar selection that fits a 051... £20

happy milling

I ended up buying a GB Pro-top for my 075 when I picked up milling. 3/8 .063 gauge. The guy I bought it from said it was primarily made for milling. BS or not, I couldn't say, but it works.

Incidentally, I found through my acquistions of old Stihls and such, that I've amassed quite a selection of big bars. a 48", couple 42", three or four 36", a 32", couple 30", and a 60" for staring at. Half of them came with the powerhead and were not even a factor in buying the saw.

Chris B.

check out http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CPS+30+BS63&catID=344

30" Carlton Premium Sprocket Tip Chainsaw Bar (3007B392PS)
#CPS 30 BS63 Our Price: $39.95

the longest sprocket nose bar in their closeout bar selection that fits a 051... £20
good point. And they are cheap, jees. But I reckon I could put a 36" to good use, 30 might be on the short side... Although I see they have a woodsman pro, 36" sprocket. But is $140, and after P&P & tax can't be saving much... Anything cheaper?

When I bought my 084 it had a 404 gage bar on it and all my other saws has 50 Gage. I special ordered a 3/8 50 Cannon (big bucks) bar from Madsens for it and it works great. I also took a pro top GB bar to a machine shop and for $20 had it made over to match it perfectly. I use the GB most of the time. Both work great. Jim
did the oiler holes work out ok? The chain ever have feeding problems? How thin did it get at the mounting point?

I ended up buying a GB Pro-top for my 075 when I picked up milling. 3/8 .063 gauge. The guy I bought it from said it was primarily made for milling. BS or not, I couldn't say, but it works.

Incidentally, I found through my acquistions of old Stihls and such, that I've amassed quite a selection of big bars. a 48", couple 42", three or four 36", a 32", couple 30", and a 60" for staring at. Half of them came with the powerhead and were not even a factor in buying the saw.

Chris B.
Don't feel like parting with a 36" large stihl mount do you...?
How much was the GB bar? There aren't any UK GB distributers, but I will email them and ask about shipping & prices.

Thanks guys

I've got a 47" Duromatic off an 084 if you're interested. I just dressed and pinched the rails. It's in excellent condition. I've also repainted it with Stihl paint.

woa, never used anythign that size before! Wouldn't the 051 struggle pulling that length, esp. with a solid nose? Although, what would you want for it?

'Fraid not. Only 2 are for large Stihls. 1 is for milling and the other I've adapted to my Homelite 2100, so it's a keeper. The others are a Cannon bar for my 056MagII, and a Mac hardnose.

How much was the GB bar? There aren't any UK GB distributers, but I will email them and ask about shipping & prices.

When I bought it 3 or 4 years ago, I think it was $60 US.

There are several sponsors on this site that deal GB who could probably ship to you. If you want, I can get the bar# off mine.

Chris B.

'Fraid not. Only 2 are for large Stihls. 1 is for milling and the other I've adapted to my Homelite 2100, so it's a keeper. The others are a Cannon bar for my 056MagII, and a Mac hardnose.
ok no worries

When I bought it 3 or 4 years ago, I think it was $60 US.

There are several sponsors on this site that deal GB who could probably ship to you. If you want, I can get the bar# off mine.
I've just written to the official GB distributer in the US. WHich other ones tock them, there are heaps! Yeah bar number would be handy if you've got it around

there is also a 48" hardnose on closeout at baileys £15, 051 should handle it (for occasional cuts) if you take it slow and keep your chain super-sharp.

the woodsman pro might be worth the extra moolah, theyre made by cannon (some of the most durable best quality bars around).

you might want to try asking baileys what they can get you in large mount stihl anyway, they stock masses of stuff that isnt on their site, and are v-helpfull.

whatever you decide, i reckon your most economical option would be from a US source

happy hunting :cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah bar number would be handy if you've got it around

Alright. SLD36-36PA, which I believe is the GB part#. Also there is 4270 stamped above that. This is a Professional ProTop bar. If I had to do it again, I'd try for the Titanium bar.

Chris B.

The 051 is only 89cc. I think a 47" hardnose (or sprocket tip) would be a bit much for that saw. And if you're milling, it would be a waste of time--don't even think about a hardnose. Robs power that you'll need every bit of. I used an 075 and now an 088 with my 36" bar for milling and that's as far as I care to go. Larger than that I would consider a double-ender. Besides, I've always wanted to run 2 powerheads simultaneously.

Chris B.

Yep, they are expensive (£270 list for a 47" duromatic in the UK). But....

When I bought the 880, they listed a 47" Duromatic as a £90 option - the standard option was a £50 25" rollomatic. I specced the 47" on the basis that £90 was a cheap way of getting one - but it makes me think that you could pick up the 47" for £90 + £50 which is less than £270. PM me if you want some UK contacts for parts.

The 051 is only 89cc. I think a 47" hardnose (or sprocket tip) would be a bit much for that saw. And if you're milling, it would be a waste of time--don't even think about a hardnose. Robs power that you'll need every bit of. I used an 075 and now an 088 with my 36" bar for milling and that's as far as I care to go. Larger than that I would consider a double-ender. Besides, I've always wanted to run 2 powerheads simultaneously.

Chris B.
yeah I realise this, it won't really work. Although if I find I need more power (likely) I'm planning on putting an 076 jug and piston on it, either a good 2nd hand off ebay (they come about) or a new after market one. I won't be doing huge amounts so figure this would be ok.
Still looks like the $140 Baileys one is the only non-Stihl 36" sprocket nose I can find...

good point. And they are cheap, jees. But I reckon I could put a 36" to good use, 30 might be on the short side... Although I see they have a woodsman pro, 36" sprocket. But is $140, and after P&P & tax can't be saving much... Anything cheaper?

did the oiler holes work out ok? The chain ever have feeding problems? How thin did it get at the mounting point?

Thanks guys

I longgated the oil hole a little and everything else worked great. I even run a 8 pin sprocket on it and never had a chain problem ever. Jim

Well I called Madsens and Alan has a 36" for $70, and two for one ripping chain, so it looks like I'll go with them. Assuming I can afford the P&P... Hell of a lot cheaper than getting a Stihl bar here though.
Thanks for the contact details

The hardnose bars we have on closeout are manufactured byTsumura. These are really awesome bars. By using a helper handle with roller, you would a great set up.

I'm actually still having real issues. The cheapest I've found is a cannon at ~$125. After UK postahe this gets quite a bit, I wouldn't be saving that much on a Stihl bar! GB have discontinued large stihl mount, oregon don't do them, carlton don't either. Does anyone know of a cheaper one?
I'm considering going for the 30" at Bailey's close out. Will it piss me off having one that short? I don't KNOW of any 30"+ logs I'll be milling, but could imagine them...

Back