Large Stihl mount bars - hard to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll be happier with a sprocket tip bar... at least.. I would. Can't you find a used bar in the UK?

Yes I'm sure I will. But I can't find any in the UK, only brand new stihl. Maybe if I waited long enough, but I want to mill while I'm still young...

I'll bring this one to the front again.

I need a 3/8 sprocket tip for a Stihl 070 that I have as a milling saw. The bar and sprocket it came with are toast, so I'm putting on a 3/8th 8 tooth rim/drum, and now I need a 3/8 sprocket 25" bar in the large Stihl mount. This saw will be used for cutting up cants - I have the 47" duromatic on an 090 for making the cants in the first place.

The only supplier of such things seems to be Cannon - no one else seems to to the combination of large mount + 3/8 sprocket. To my UK eyes, they don't seem too expensive: $120 (£60) for a Superbar seems OK. I can't see an advantage to the Super Bar+ for milling.

I am going to order them from Cannon (or any sponsor who sees this and can supply them)...does anyone else in the UK want to order any Cannon bars and share the shipping?

I have an unused Stihl big mount Oregon 32" .404 fixed sprocket nose. I picked it up with a stack of other bars and have no use for it.

Last edited:

I need a 3/8 sprocket tip for a Stihl 070 that I have as a milling saw. The bar and sprocket it came with are toast, so I'm putting on a 3/8th 8 tooth rim/drum, and now I need a 3/8 sprocket 25" bar in the large Stihl mount. This saw will be used for cutting up cants - I have the 47" duromatic on an 090 for making the cants in the first place.

The only supplier of such things seems to be Cannon - no one else seems to to the combination of large mount + 3/8 sprocket. To my UK eyes, they don't seem too expensive: $120 (£60) for a Superbar seems OK. I can't see an advantage to the Super Bar+ for milling.

I am going to order them from Cannon (or any sponsor who sees this and can supply them)...does anyone else in the UK want to order any Cannon bars and share the shipping?

damn it, just got a 2nd hand 36" stihl rollomatic off US ebay... the cannon was my backup plan. You getting them off madsens?

Stihl has a 3/8 tip from their 21 inch big mount bar that you can replace most of the tips on the .404 of the longer bar

I thought the 088 takes a large mount Stihl bar? Don't know much about the bar pattern on them biggins if it is the same as a 070 Oregon still makes a 3/8x.063 42'' bar, you can find it in the Oregon Canada listing Part# 423 RNDD025
Oregon Bars are much cheaper than others price wise.
That's a Power match or what ever they call them sprocket tip

I thought the 088 takes a large mount Stihl bar? Don't know much about the bar pattern on them biggins if it is the same as a 070 Oregon still makes a 3/8x.063 42'' bar, you can find it in the Oregon Canada listing Part# 423 RNDD025

I conntacted quite a few people who sold Oregon, most didn't have them for large Stihl mount (088), and those that did said they couldn't get over 25". Could you link to that listing?

I conntacted quite a few people who sold Oregon, most didn't have them for large Stihl mount (088), and those that did said they couldn't get over 25". Could you link to that listing?
I am computer illiterate so I gave it a try lol Just go to Oregon's home page and click on Canada and look up 088mag you will find a listing for the 42'' bar I have it on paper and seen it online. I hope this helps as I would like to see you find a bar for that beast, that won't cost you a arm and a leg. Oregon bars are the only thing I have found that is priced the same in the U.S as in Canada maybe because they are made here? They also have a 36''

Like Lakeside said, you will have to swap the tip yourself on any 25"+ bar sold by 99% of retailers. Lawyers have decided for us that it's too risky to run 3/8" on long bars, even though it's been done for years. Hell, I mill with 3/8" on a 72" bar.

Oregon Powermatch tips will interchange on all Powermatch bars AND Cannon / Woodsman Pro bars.

I had a 42" Stihl bar that I put a 3/8" tip on it a while back. I tried to find the part number for you but had no luck.

Oregon D025 is NOT Large mount Stihl E031 is.....

Scott

damn it, just got a 2nd hand 36" stihl rollomatic off US ebay... the cannon was my backup plan. You getting them off madsens?

I was thinking about it - but then I found Tavistock Chainsaws - they had the 24" 3/8 bar for about £95. Cannon MSRP is $100 + shipping + tax + post office rip off handling charges - which comes to about the same thing, so I ordered from them. Helpful chap on the phone.

I am going to the US in April, so I may take a big suitcase. Anyone know of a good saw shop near Chicago? :)

I was thinking about it - but then I found Tavistock Chainsaws - they had the 24" 3/8 bar for about £95. Cannon MSRP is $100 + shipping + tax + post office rip off handling charges - which comes to about the same thing, so I ordered from them. Helpful chap on the phone.

I am going to the US in April, so I may take a big suitcase. Anyone know of a good saw shop near Chicago? :)
hmm, the more I think about it the more the UK Stihl prices don't seem quite so bad after thinking about tax (although I asked the seller to put value $0 on it), and shipping, but what's this post office charge? I paid $50 for this 36" (good cond), but I've gotta get a new tip already. They're £90 from Stihl here, but again I'd have to re-tip (seem to all be 404). I probably won't end up saving that much. But 25" largemount from Stihl is £74 (404), how come you didn't go Stihl?

Welcome to the post office experience - they will relieve you of anything up to £8 for the honour of grabbing more tax off you. Per parcel - which is really annoying if someone has spilt the shipment into 2 packages.

I didn't go stihl because I wanted a 3/8 sprocket nose. I think the biggest 3/8 bar they do in "large mount" is 21" or something - all of the rest are .404 or solid tip. So I could have gone Stihl .404, then replaced the tip - but that would end up costing more.

The way to do this is to go to the US and come back with a suitcase full of bars.

but then I found Tavistock Chainsaws

yes indeed, Dougie Bennett and his boys are very helpful, and have very reasonable prices (for the u.k). One of the few u.k saw shops ive been in that champions dolmar and cannon, and has a wide range of each in stock.:clap:

Welcome to the post office experience - they will relieve you of anything up to £8 for the honour of grabbing more tax off you. Per parcel - which is really annoying if someone has spilt the shipment into 2 packages.

I didn't go stihl because I wanted a 3/8 sprocket nose. I think the biggest 3/8 bar they do in "large mount" is 21" or something - all of the rest are .404 or solid tip. So I could have gone Stihl .404, then replaced the tip - but that would end up costing more.

The way to do this is to go to the US and come back with a suitcase full of bars.

a suitcase full of bars... sounds damn good. My GF'd love it too!
yeah, I guess a tip would put it over £90. That's pisses me off bout the post office, but if the seller puts $0 value, will there still be a charge?
Wish I'd known about Tavistock chainsaws, they look good.

doh! sorry, i could have reccomended them in the beginning, wasnt thinking, my bad....

but if the seller puts $0 value, will there still be a charge?

Probably not - and even if they do have a look at it, a second hand bar doesn't look valuable... Of course, they may ask why someone would send 3 feet of metal round the world if it had no value!

yes indeed, Dougie Bennett and his boys are very helpful

I'd second that - the bloke really knew what he was talking about, offered loads of ideas. Good place. Bloody awful website though!

Last edited:
Back