• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Large Stihl Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Jones

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey Fellas, I'm new around here. I'm looking to increase the efficiency of my rapidly growing 2 year old tree service. Lately, I've been up against some pretty big hardwoods and my 660 /32" bar (mostly stock except for a muffler mod and a little tuning) just isn't fitting my time management goals. I'm no chainsaw expert. They are tools of my trade. I maintain them very well like any other piece of equipment but if I started taking it apart past the bar cover, I'm lost. I'm relying on you guys. Seems a lot of you really know you stuff. I need something that can handle 40-50 inch oak logs and even bigger stumps. I have the cash and I'm ready to buy the right saw. I want the kinda Stihl saw that after one use will leave me grinning for a week. Doesn't need to be new or even close to that. Just as long as it can eat hard woods at blazing speeds while pulling a upper 40's" bar. A would consider a husky 3120 but only as last resort. I don't have any issues with their saws, I've just always been a die hard Stihl guy.

Can anyone help me?

Seems like you could spend a chunk of change and get a 120cc saw, but have you considered having your 660 ported? I've heard the ms880 is kind of a dog without port work. Yeah, I'm sure it'll beat a stock 660, but a ported 660 might be pretty close. It seems like you could get the 660 ported for $300 and put some square grind full skip chain on a 40" bar and tackle those oaks just fine.

Everyone around here is friendly and I can feel the love for chainsaws. The members here make this site absolutely great. I also love the format. I wish I would have found it sooner. I'd like to thank each and every member for making my experience to date wonderful and looking forward to more.

Everyone around here is friendly and I can feel the love for chainsaws. The members here make this site absolutely great. I also love the format. I wish I would have found it sooner. I'd like to thank each and every member for making my experience to date wonderful and looking forward to more.

We just need Pics & Video of the Hoss when you get it back.

Latest posts

Back