Largest healed wound

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not an arborist, but I was impressed by a healed tree I saw the other day. I think it may be an elm, and you can see from the picture how large a cut was that healed. I'm curious what you folks see, what species heal this well, what species don't, some good pruning, some bad pruning etc to help educate me and others. There is a 12" rule hanging on the bark for scale. Sorry for the poor pictures of the leaves / branches, but I was trying to capture the species. I think it is an elm of sorts

I sometimes see trees in the parkway pruned right up to the trunk, with a cut surface that is larger than the cross section of the trunk of the tree, and wonder why this cut was made, not having noticed damage / disease before the pruning. It seems to me that these types of cuts are more hazardous in the long run to the overall health of the tree even if the ends of the branch were damaged.

Feel free to repost the picts in a manner that they show up automatically if they don't... I'm not so tech savvy on this forum.

Thanks,

Schumann
View attachment 310351View attachment 310352View attachment 310353

A large wound inside the collar along the trunk section has created an avenue for decay. Even though the wound may close decay is still likely to continue behind all the new wood. Its not inaccurate to think of a tree as being brand new each and every year. New growth encapsulating old and everystuff.

Here is a basic level 2 assessment I did recently addressing this type wound.

View attachment 310368

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back