Largest tree I've ever felled.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just behind my house was a large red oak that never greened up this year. I was told I could have it so being off today I did the deed. It measured 40" in dia. at 5 ft. I dropped it with the 361 w/ 20 in bar. The center 15 inches was hollow so this made things easier for the small saw but she still put up a helluva fight. I am running a new loop of husky LV chain and really like the way it cuts. Every tank I run through the 361 just seems to wake it up a little more.
I was going to use my buddies Homey 650 but I am only 5'7" and that is a lot of saw to hold at shoulder height for that long. I am not saying I couldn't't do it but I figured if things went wrong I could ditch the 13 lb saw a heck of allot faster than 30 lbs of saw.
But none the less everything went well and this wood should heat very well later in the season.
After the admirable job the 361 did it will be harder to justify a 066 or larger saw to the wife.:(

FourMoCajuns said:
After the admirable job the 361 did it will be harder to justify a 066 or larger saw to the wife.:(

Just sneak out and buy it, shove it in the shed, as long as she never sees them both at the same time she will never know

Tell her "Honey this is your saw!"Hopefully it's so heavy she won't want to touch it!
Ed

Be very careful, I tried that one time. As I opened the box I said this one is for you. She promptly took the saw and put it in the tool box of her truck. It was about 6-8 months before I saw that saw again. :monkey:

Good job on the big tree!!! If the sneeking the saw thing works, then let me know! My wife is still talking about my 500$ saw. She sees them at Menards for 100$. They are all the same ... RIGHT?

Update on the big oak. It sure is putting up a fight with the splitter. Some of these rounds are 36" across and at a length of 24 inches they are just plain stout! Some of the knotty ones have already been ripped to more manageable sizes so the rest may have to be also.

15" of hollow in a 40" red oak?? Save a section for making a chair!!!
Man!... we don't see trees like that here in New Mexico.... You guys in the hardwood belt are lucky...

FourMoCajuns said:
... I am running a new loop of husky LV chain and really like the way it cuts. Every tank I run through the 361 just seems to wake it up a little more. ...
I take it that you are using 3/8", and if that is the case the Husky LV chain should be the H42, the same chain as Oregon 73LP.

I also like that chain, and use it on my old Jonsered.

What kind of bar are you using? - GB?
The H42/73LP is .058 gauge, and that gauge are pretty uncommon with Stihl mounting pattern. The only source I know of is GB.

Last edited:
No I am running the Stihl Rollermatic ES 3/8" and .063 . The chain does say Husq LV.
Is this not right? The chain seems to fit the bar just fine... at least to my untrained eye.:monkey:

I used a dial caliper and checked the thickness of the guides ( I guess you could call then that) and they measure .063 ". That was on the Husqvarna LV chain. I also checked on the new Stihl RSC loops I got today and they too are .063. Either way this flat top stuff is magical.
:rock:

Latest posts

Back