Largest viable stove for a bus conversion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Want to put a wood stove in a converted shuttle bus. It's a 30-passenger on a Ford F550 chassis. It can take a lot of weight but there are other items that go in it.

the dilemma is that while I want it to last overnight and take at least 20" logs (longer is better, I think 24" would be really nice), I don't want it to be too heavy as weight is a serious consideration. Also I want a nice glass viewing area. I don't think I want it huge for another reason - if it gets too hot, it can set some things on fire. So insulating the walls is a good idea.

I need the perfect balance of all factors. I don't mind something old as long as it does the above.

It needs to be light enough to be able to be moved by one person (with a dolly) and last overnight with hardwood, at least. But not be half a gazillion pounds and require 3 people to move it (I just went through that experience with a household stove)

I want to add my opinion to this, just because I think its an interesting concept. My thoughts are that a 30 passenger bus shouldnt be hard to heat and anything of any size and you would be sleeping with the windows open. I think I would go for some sort of mass heat storage instead of a stove big enough to heat the bus and burn all night. I know you wont want heavy, but in this situation, thermal mass might be your best friend. Of course stone would be the best thermal mass, but you could also try using water. If you connected a few water tanks in different areas of the bus and let the stove heat the water, you should be able to keep the bus warm pretty evenly and not over weight the bus. You could even let the bus engine heat the water and not even need a fire. If you run out of heat in the middle of the night, just fire up the motor for a little bit. Of course you can always empty the water tanks when you are ready to travel and get rid of all that weight. Not so easy if you chose mansonary thermal mass.

I would think you might want to look at a canal barge stove. Something that would have been used to heat a barge/boat. Not too sure what the availability of such a thing is now with all the enviro nonsense but you can look around. Might be something available on the used market. You are going to need to rethink overnight (unless you go with coal) and log length.

Five of the Best Wood-Burning Stoves for Boats and Canal Barges (gr8fires.co.uk)

Back