Last load of Oak for the year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This morning we picked up what should be our last load of Oak for 2008...thankfully firewood warms you twice!

We got out of work this morning and it was 12 degrees with a -2 windchill. After layering up the flannel, sweatshirts, and insulated Carhartt clothing we got to the house about 9 am, talked with the homeowner again, and started loading the trailers.

The tree was a good sized Oak (white we think) with the trunk (24"-32" dia.)already bucked up into 18" rounds. Some of the big branchs and leaders were cut into 4' lengths that we had to cut down into 18" pieces. Because of the cold temps there was not a lot of standing around and we had the wood cut, the 16' trailer, and the ATV trailer loaded in just over an hour. Despite the wind and cold we were all sweating when we finished.

Unloading took longer than normal. Due to some road construction at the entrance to our storage area we couldn't pull in with the trailers. So, we rolled the big pieces off the back of the trailer and into the yard. The smaller pieces got unloaded with the JD loader. All of it (about 1.5 cords) got stacked and is awaiting the splitter.

As I looked around the yard I realized we have a crazy amount of oak rounds that we need to split for next season. Prolly 30 cord or more. We'll start splitting them on thursday when the weather is predicted to be......sunny with temps in the 50's. Ya gotta love crazy New England weather.

Sounds like a good day.

Yep...still have the dopey grin on my face to prove it:hmm3grin2orange:

Nothing like the smell of fresh cut oak and the sound of 3 saws running. The only thing that would make it more perfect is if all that oak was already split, stacked, and drying.

I've got about 15 to do and my early Xmas present - a Super Split - arrives on Thursday...can't wait. I've been without a splitter for about a month since I sold my old one so I've been up in the woods and out in the yard every chance I get stocking up so I can give the SS (and myself) a workout.

Latest posts

Back