Last milling of the season (for me)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is a couple of elm tree logs that my church gave me. They fell the tree because they had to and asked if I wanted to come down and see if I wanted the trunk end. They are not the largest of logs but since they offered I thought I would give it a shot. I got some nice wood out of them, have never milled or worked with elm before but it has some nice patterns to it.

First log all ready
Milling003.jpg

After the first cut
Milling005.jpg

More toward the middle
Milling006.jpg

Just some shots
Milling010.jpg

Milling011.jpg

Only pic I have of the second log, it had a good sweep (curve) in it, but still can get some good smaller boards out if it once plank is cut up.
Milling009.jpg

All done until fall when it gets cooler.

Nice job.

Thanks for the pics.
Look's nice,I have never worked with elm either,was it fairly easy to mill?
Look's like a little spalting too eh?
Hope to see you back in here in the fall!

Thanks for the pics.
Look's nice,I have never worked with elm either,was it fairly easy to mill?
Look's like a little spalting too eh?
Hope to see you back in here in the fall!

Wasn't to bad to mill at all. After trying to split a piece of it I thought it was going to be horrible, but it went really smooth.

I have been milling and turning some elm since Christmas . all of it was really wet , most dried flat and ok ,but i would get rid of the pith if you can . I really like the uniform density ,and colors ,takes glue and oil finish makes the colors glow. edit if you want to edit the part about all dun till fall ,we can forget we ever read it in bout a day.

Last edited:
Not a guy that likes to work in the super hot eh? Don't blame ya! I'll keep at it this year to try to loose some belly fat I gained this winter.....but when it gets to being 100+ degrees I won't go out and crank up the chainsaw no matter what!

Nice looking slabs, I take it the tree had been standing dead for quite sometime? It's spalted up pretty nicely in a few spots:msp_thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your last of the year!!!

Scott B

Not a guy that likes to work in the super hot eh? Don't blame ya! I'll keep at it this year to try to loose some belly fat I gained this winter.....but when it gets to being 100+ degrees I won't go out and crank up the chainsaw no matter what!

Nice looking slabs, I take it the tree had been standing dead for quite sometime? It's spalted up pretty nicely in a few spots:msp_thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your last of the year!!!

Scott B

I don't mind working in heat,(to much anyway) but being still somewhat new to milling I heard that its bad for the saw so I try to only mill when the high for the day is below 65.

I don't mind working in heat,(to much anyway) but being still somewhat new to milling I heard that its bad for the saw so I try to only mill when the high for the day is below 65.

I've milled quite a bit at well above that. Often upper 90s or 100. Not pleasant, but it won't hurt the saw. Gotta mill when the logs are available.

I've milled quite a bit at well above that. Often upper 90s or 100. Not pleasant, but it won't hurt the saw. Gotta mill when the logs are available.

Yes. And before they get too much spalting....unless that is what is sought after.

Yes i start to feel guilty milling over 95 or 100 , but it passes quick when we slide the cap off and see the inside . watch the gas when its hot i got one of the non vented new cans that can have a lot of pressure that and a hot saw could flash . Bob carries a fire extinguisher probably smart , and clean the dry grass back a bit .

Latest posts

Back