last sat. milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no i never have timed them. i wish i would have on this one though. i had the alaskan almost maxed at 56 inches on this one. 12 feet long cuts and 6/4 slabs this time. i have a 48 inch red oak to mill into slabs and beams for a contractor next weekend i'll try and time the cuts.

your pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

raintree, i store my lumber in my budies barn that he is not using right now. i'm kind of new to the whole milling thing so i'm still learning, but learning fast thanks to this web site. so far i don't have anything drying over a year and a half old. i also try to paint the ends of the logs with leftover paint to try and seal the ends. i have a couple experiments running to see what works and what doesn't. so far so good, most of my slabs have done better that i thought they would.

red arrow so far so good. i can't really say i've seen an increase in power, but the carb butterfly is still spotless. i thought i would try these air filters to see if there was any kind of cost savings. as of right now it's a push. i think over time they might pay off. i think if i milled every weekend or more i would just use a regular hd filter though. if i was a person who just likes to come home and throw the saw on the shelf after cutting then these aren't for you. for me the more time i can spend in the garage screwing around the better! n8

I was looking at those on Bailey's for my Ms660. Was curious on how they would preform. So your saying they need a bit more maintenance? I imagine they would need to be cleaned more often... Do you have the set with 2 different filters? I don't mind the effort cleaning them as long as there was a benefit in performance.

yeah red arrow those air filters are very labor intensive compared to the hd filters. yes mine came from baileys with the white( small pores) and green (bigger pores) foam filters. i clean mine after each milling day. i bought the uni cleaner and oil spray cans from baileys. the cleaner works very well but is expensive. i just bought a gallon jug of simple green degreaser and it seems to work well enough. i pre oil the filters and keep them in freezer bags. i buy uni oil on amazon that isn't in aerosol form. i just dump some in the freezer bag with the filter, seal it ,then work the oil into the filter. when i get to the mill site i touch up the filter with the spray type uni oil. i just bought a new 660 in dec.2011 and did an experiment. i put my tach on the new saw and tried the stock hd filter vs. the oiled foam filter. i didn't see a giant diff. in rpms. i think in the long run though there will be a savings compared to buying stihl air filters( they really rip our jaws out on those prices) one side note. they don't come with an extra cage.(the small plastic piece that goes inside the foam filter that keeps the filter from crushing when you tighten it to the saw) i bought an extra cage at MADSENS. this way i don't have to slip filters on and off all the time.each filter has its own cage.(i just leave the cage in to clean the filters) oh yeah they take a while to dry after you clean them also. it's a good thing i don't think of my saws as tools, rather, i think of them as toys.

Always have to be ready for metal in city trees.

Also, you're probably not going to see any cracking for about 4-8 months depending on where you have them stored. Maybe even a year or 18 months. Be prepared and keep them from drying too fast. Seal the ends really good and keep them covered and out of the sun or really breezy areas (you said they're in barn, so that sounds good enough).

Latest posts

Back