Last trip to my local Stihl dealer in Wiscasset

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with everyone on its not Stihls fault or probelm but if the op brought the saw in because it was having these starting/running problems and the dealer looks it over and decides to lean it out more??????? Then the saw blows and the dealer tells the op he should have caught it and adjusted it before it blew???????? WTF ever!!!!!! The op brought the saw back and the "dealer" musta looked it over and determined it was the mixture setting to tell the op he should have richened it up. I wasnt there and dont know if the op's story is the way it happened but to me the dealer screwed the pooch on this and is trying to evade blame!! I understand that just because the dealer last looked at it doesnt mean what happened is his fault but to tell the guy he should have richened the saw tells me the dealer thinks it WAS the carb settings that blew the saw and the dealer was the one who screwed them up.

This whole thread reminds me of when a friend of mine got their outboard rebuilt last year. When she ran it this year after storage, the water pump was not working, (she knew this), but ran it anyway until it burned up. Now she's blaming the dude who rebuilt it last year.:monkey:

Huh, I feel his pain. That dayumm Francis should have been there when the guy was running that saw for about a hour and knew it was having problems while doing so. Francis should have been there to tell him to do the unthinkable, cut it off. Dayummm that Francis, what kind of dealer is he. Now neither the man nor his buddy will ever buy another Stihl again all because of Francis. I gather Francis won't even warranty that 10 year old plus saw, what a low life that Francis is.

(good job Francis, babysititng isn't our job)

Wonder what Francis did each time it showed up for a going over. If homeowner is clueless mechanically and tells Francis that would he suggest some preventative maintenence,like fuel filter os impulse line? Im sure both parties are to blame but I feel he should have done more preventative.
Go ahead Thall let me have it for being on homeowners side, I can take it. I am a homeowner.:cheers:

Stihl 025

I understand anything is possible, but any dealer worth his or her salt will check for common failure areas on an older saw, Its good business and important to the customer. So I can't see how the dealer did his job. Therefore he has some responsibility.

Nmurph already mentioned two ways in which the saw could have run lean on its own with no responsibility to the dealer (cracked fuel line, bad seal).

Dealer sets the mixture screws, saw goes out the door, coupla weeks later after cutting, crack develops in 10-year-old brittle fuel line or seal starts to fail, and saw runs lean, thus seizing.

I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm responding to your rhetorical question bolded in the quote. :)

Original poster said something about "recent", which I think is the key. Does recent mean day before yesterday, or last October?

OTOH, the dealer is possibly missing the boat with an ill-informed customer. Guy brings the saw in for a once-over, likely expecting that the service tech may find something wrong. Pull the lid, look at air filter, fuel lines, spark plug, etc....on a 10-year-old saw, maybe just automatically put a new line in along with a diaghragm and needle. Advise customer that modern E-10 gas is getting a bad rep, and if the customer really wants trouble-free service he could consider buying a can or two of 40:fuel (and point to the cans on the shelf).

Ka-ching goes the register.

Maine? I assume that the forest pro's are hurting there as well, and the wise dealer will learn to accept new customers from new markets.

Roundpond: you've stated that the chainsaw is a little frightening to you; that's OK, in fact as long as you respect your tools you'll be safer. It appears you might also be applying your mass-merchant, consumer culture to what may seem like a foreign culture at the saw shop. Call the dealer back, explain that you didn't know what to expect and maybe felt like a "tune-up" lasted a year or more. Now that you've got hat in hand, then ask him if he'll cut you some slack on a repair or trade for another saw.

OTOH, nearly every town has a couple "handy-men" (or women!) that scrape up a few extra shekels doing little jobs for cash. Some of these guys will cut your firewood for you, or deliver some they've already cut. Maybe that's for you.

Last edited:
Even the best mechanic can't guarantee what some of you expect. Proper maintenance and tune-up minimizes fail, but guarantees nothing.

Maybe the service was top-notch. First rate. Nothing here to indicate it was not.

I maintain hundreds of saws and OPE every year and If this situation arises, and it has, I will take the saw back in put it on the bench and pressure vac test everything. If it was a faulty carb adjustment, preignition, seal, impulse, or whatever at least I have a way of showing the customer what caused the damage. I believe that the customer will at least trust me to do whats right if I at least take the time to properly diagnose what cased the failure in the first place. If you don't take care of your customers , someone will!!! Otherwise everyone is just gonna play the blame game, hence resulting in most of the content of this thread. Just MHO though!

Pardon the resurrection but I'd just like to point out that the dealer in the OP, "Chainsaw Charlie", is about as good as it gets. It's a shame that he should face any kind of defamation because of a second hand saw. He has serviced the saws of me and everyone I know for as long as I have been around and we've been nothing but satisfied. I highly recommend him. By the way, he does a fantastic job with computers of all kind as well, pretty surprising for an old guy :)

Huh, I feel his pain. That dayumm Francis should have been there when the guy was running that saw for about a hour and knew it was having problems while doing so. Francis should have been there to tell him to do the unthinkable, cut it off. Dayummm that Francis, what kind of dealer is he. Now neither the man nor his buddy will ever buy another Stihl again all because of Francis. I gather Francis won't even warranty that 10 year old plus saw, what a low life that Francis is.

(good job Francis, babysititng isn't our job)

the name's Francis Sawyer....anybody call me Francis and I'll Kill ya....

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=B0D8A595E4564B879151B0D8A595E4564B879151

you just made the list !!!!!

Well i was getting ready to wade in but just saw that the original post was from 2010.:rolleyes: kinda pointless now.:laugh:

Back